Europe: Wii sells 325k in just 2 days

22psi

Veteran
13th December 2006 – Wii made its highly anticipated debut across Europe on Friday 8th December, with thousands of people desperate to get their hands on Nintendo’s new console.

As the must-have product for the festive season Wii was an instant hit. Attracting vast crowds and selling out in stores all over Europe in just a matter of hours, a breathtaking 325,000 units were sold in the first two days making it the fastest selling home console in history...

...While Wii enjoyed a hugely successful launch, Nintendo DS also had a record-breaking week with 515,000 units sold across Europe last week, which is not only the highest week's sales since the console’s launch but also the most any console across all formats has ever sold in a week! Nintendo’s handheld phenomenon has taken Europe by storm since its release in March 2005, with over 8.5 million consoles now sold across Europe.

Just insane!

Source is www.nintendo.co.uk

Also some numbers from Japan and America (I'm not sure if these have been posted before):

Japan: 400k sold during the first morning on sale (sold out)
America: 600k sold in the first 8 days

+

Europe: 325k in two days

=

edit: Small info related to DS:

While Wii enjoyed a hugely successful launch Nintendo DS also had a record-breaking week, with 515,000 units sold across Europe last week

Last edited by a moderator:
DS keeps on printing money o_O

But nintendo screwed europa. We got like 700million people here and get half of what the USA gets, we even got less than Japan wich only has 130million people. Rumor even goes Holland didnt even get 10.000 units while the UK got 100.000. Luckily I was able to get one at launch day in Holland but there are far to few units to even remotely fill in the pre-orders here. You would think nintendo could easily resupply since they had a late launch and wii cant be that hard to produce.

But nintendo screwed europa.
At least the DS Lite launched in europe before the the US.

Supply is always difficult during launch, this is nothingnew.. I can't remember a single major console that did not have problems meeting deliveries at launch.

Heck, even atari jaguar was quite scarce initially I believe. :cool:

Preordering as early as possible still seems to be the best bet I'd sa.y Not sure how we can blame nintendo for coming up with a popular product! That seems kind of backwards to me, dont you think? Hehe.

Peace.

Japan: 400k sold during the first morning on sale (sold out)
America: 600k sold in the first 8 days

+

Europe: 325k in two days

Japan launched December 2nd, 10 days of additional sales
US Launched Nov 19, 17 days of additional sales versus the first 8 days.

1.325 Million without the data from 10 days in Japan, 17 days in the US.

I say www.vgcharts.org is closer to the actual number.

And they keep selling out, it really is quite amazing. Xbox 360 and Wii titles along with last gen console titles (mainly PS2) dominate the sales charts, PS3 games arent even around i suspect do to poor availability and a high price. I really think all those who opposed the Wii and said Nintendo was going to fail right off the bat should be placing a sock in their mouth until further notice because at this rate they're going to be huge. Defintly one of the best most successful launches of the last decade.

I've been tracking the online retailers as well and i've seen the Wii bundles fly out in minutes, bundles with 400-$500 added premium costs, the PS3 meanwhile has fizzled out on ebay while the ~$1000 bundles arent selling well at all by comparison (i wonder why?) which is basically the opposite effect.

i would still like to play zelda!

Last edited by a moderator:
I really think all those who opposed the Wii and said Nintendo was going to fail right off the bat should be placing a sock in their mouth until further notice because at this rate they're going to be huge.
There's no denying Wii is off to a strong start. Stronger than gamecube, and much stronger than most self-proclaimed gamers expected I think.

The interesting question is though, how will it fare later on, once the initial hype dies down?

Will people suddenly see the wiis rudimentary graphics performance compared to later-generation PS3 and 360 games and start steering away from the console? Perhaps not. But it's interesting food for thought regardless.

The big issue is, will games be able to leverage the wiimote properly I think. Right now games seem to have very rudimentary support most of them. Zelda's swordfighting isn't really actual fighting, the hero just swings the sword when you flail the mote around, you can't control the swings and thrusts.. Wii sports boxing is nothing short of a joke. Maybe titles in the future will do better.

a nice RTS or 'sims' type title that uses the pointer ability will help sell the wii later on i'd think. Nintendo ought to payBlizzard to develop a war/starcraft title for wii, they would all swim in money if they did.. I can imagine some type of animal crossing game, maybe a viva pinata-type game with pokemons instead or somesuch.

Defintly one of the best most successful launches of the last decade.
Aiming for simple tech certainly paid off for Nintendo in that regard. Worldwide launch inside roughly three weeks and though not without shortages it was at least without catastrophic shortages like many past launches. Not counting xbox in japan, of course.

i would still like to play zelda!
It's a great game but this one is getting old and cobwebby in the head. I'm stuck in the blasted forest temple!

Peace.

Back