E7300 DDR3 support and DFI LAN party questions

JHine5588

Newcomer
So I'm planning on running crossfire and a 9600gt for some physics. I bought a MSI P7N Platinum not realizing the 750i chipset isn't compatible with crossfire, my bad. So I found the MSI x48 however it requires DDR3. So I bought DDR3, then realized my processor might not support it!!! It's an E7300, does it support DDR3 due to the lower FSB?

Basically I want to run this crossfire setup with my 9600gt and it appeared my cheapest way out was to upgrade to DDR3 and the Intel chipset version of my P7N. But now it appears getting a DFI or ASUS mobo will be a billion times cheaper if I need to buy a new processor too. Any input?

The DFI boards are ugly but I have a closed case so that doesn't bother me. How about speedfan compatibility for each? Overclockability of each? Thanks.

Jeremy

The E7300 will work fine with DDR3, but you may find yourself limited to DDR3-800 unless you overclock the frontside bus speed.

You should be able to increase the front side bus and drop the CPU multiplier to run the chip close to stock speed but on a 1066 or maybe 1333FSB.

it is, theres been a few benchmarks posted on the web

Really? I know people have been experimenting, but I'd not seen any reports that it's a practical option. I think one of the problems was you had to have the nVidia can connected to a monitor or it wouldn't be usable for physx.

It doesn't work with vista but just fine in xp. I was running one 3870 with a 9600gt in my gigabyte x48-ds5 and they ran great! I bought the lan party... $220 shipped but unfortunately I already purchased the DDR3 and Newegg won't refund me. I guess I'll ebay it... I'm kind of new to this and when I was reading a few specifications on some quad cores I saw a line saying "now supporting DDR3 with higher fsb speed" and I thought I screwed up bad!! Well it's good to know now however the lan party can run the ram that I already have so I'll get the $75 back (I hope) out of this DDR3... If not I guess I could keep it around to collect dust. Thanks for the replies!!

Jerem

Back