DVI or component color to connect PC to HDTV?

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I just found an interesting cable that fits in the back of my X800TT and splits into a red/green/blue RCA jack looking cables....I think it's a YPrPb component output.

Which is better to hook up to my HDTV with, the YPrPb component output or DVI?

digitalwanderer said:
I just found an interesting cable that fits in the back of my X800TT and splits into a red/green/blue RCA jack looking cables....I think it's a YPrPb component output.

Which is better to hook up to my HDTV with, the YPrPb component output or DVI?

Normally DVI and FWIW, just because the cable is component-like, doesn't mean your TV can take that signal. I think one version uses sync-on-green and the other doesn't.

Ty said:
Normally DVI and FWIW, just because the cable is component-like, doesn't mean your TV can take that signal. I think one version uses sync-on-green and the other doesn't.
Ah, thanks.

Well if nothing else I taught my daughter how to weave using it real quick, the three colors made it easy. :)

I still haven't hooked it up, I have to clean of my desk when I do so I REALLY need a bit of time. :???:

DVI is an uncompressed straight digital signal, where as with component the signal is being converted to analog and compressed on your card only to be uncompressed and digitized again at your display. So it is likely that DVI might give you better image quality, but the difference may well not be noticeable or you might even find that your particular display happens to handle component better.

Also, if you have a VGA port you might be interested in trying that as well. While it isn't a digital signal like DVI, VGA will often allow for custom resolutions like 1600x900 which comes in really handy for games.

digitalwanderer said:
VGA & DVI have different res possibilites? :???:
DVI has a limited dotclock of 165MHz in single link mode,which is sufficiently high for 1080p.
Typical VGA bandwidth is up to 350MHz.
DVI can handle custom resolutions, but it won't be able to cover the same range of refresh rates that you might want for playing games.

Also whilst the DVI standard can handle different resolutions easily enough, it may be the case that the TMDS receiver that they are using in your panel can only support a specific subset (although I wouldn't think this is the case).

CC

Thing is, that is the case with many TVs; they only support a limiited selection of digital signals, while analog signal support is generally not so limited.

kyleb said:
Thing is, that is the case with many TVs; they only support a limiited selection of digital signals, while analog signal support is generally not so limited.

I know this will sound weird to some, but i've always though that the main difference between analog and digital (and maybe an advantage of analog in some cases) is that analog more or less works always, unless it's broken obviously. It just works, you might get a crap signal sometimes, but at least it works. You still have the "in-between"'s from best signal to really crap signal. Much like analog broadcasts: sometimes you don't get the best signal, but at least you always get a signal, more or less watchable.

With digital, it's either on or off. You don't have "in-between"'s. It's 1's and 0's. It's either on or off, with no grey shades in between.

So i keep that kind of idea/view all the time, when comparing analog to digital.

In this case, DVI has to comply to a set list of resolutions and refresh rates. If you get one slightly wrong, you don't get an image.

With analog sources like component or VGA, you have more space to play around, so to speak, and if something goes wrong, you get overscan, you get a crap image, but you still get an image which, depending on the instance, might be acceptable or totally unwatchable. The main problem will be the TV itself which might just not accept some signals even on analog, but that's just the TV internal circuitry.

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to deny responsibility for all of the above, it's 5pm, i've been working all day and it's time to go home, so i might be just talking out of my ass... Don't even know what thread this is!! Oh dear...

Basically, but you don't have to worry about getting a crap image with VGA from a PC, at least over reasonable distances. It might loose a little bit due to the digital to analog conversion at the card and back again at the display, but its not anywhere the same as the issue of picking up analog and digital broadcast on an antenna or particularly long runs of cable where signal strength is always a possible issue.

You should be able to get standard 720p and 1080i out your PC and in to your TV with DVI at very least, as those would be the exact same signals a cable box or upscaling DVD player would use. But getting a VGA cable is probably still worth while as it will likely allow not only higher resolutions but many more options as well. Being the GTA fan I know you are, I have to mention that there isn't anything quite like playing those games rendered at 1080p with the AA and AF cranked. :D

I will post with only this:

Video Card: X800 Vivo (unlocked and overclocked to PE)
TV: Hitachi 50v500 - 50" LCD Projection

My first attempt was with the component cable, as older ATI drivers only let you adjust overscan if you were using an analog output method. I used it for both 1080i and 720p signal types, and it worked quite well for games. However, fine graphics detail or small text on-screen was quite fuzzy and often you could see "pixel crawl" in certain cases. I was using the stock ATI component "dongle" that you described.

After the Cat 5.10's allowed overscan adjustment on the DVI output, I swapped for the DVI connection. I also use it for both 1080i and 720p signal types, and results in far better image quality than the component alternative. Fine detail no longer "crawls" or gets fuzzy, and small text is plainly readable. I'm using a stock DVI cable I got for free from work that came with a Viewsonic 17" LCD panel.

Whenever possible, I'd strongly suggest the DVI output.

Is there anyway to set-up my PC so it'll be ready to hook up to the DVI output without hooking up a VGA monitor to it to switch over?

Easy way would probably be just to have the VGA monitor hooked up as the primary display until you get the DVI working to the TV for the secondary, then you can just swap them in the display manager when everything is good to go.

kyleb said:
Easy way would probably be just to have the VGA monitor hooked up as the primary display until you get the DVI working to the TV for the secondary, then you can just swap them in the display manager when everything is good to go.
Yeah, that's what I figured too but that's what I want to avoid...I really don't want to pull my monitor and have to clean out behind it! :oops:

I ran out and picked up a 6' VGA cable from Radio Shack a few minutes ago, I'll give it a try after lunch and see if it works any better. :)

I'll bet that will get you going, and then if you want you can play with DVI from there as well and compare both by switching display inputs with the remote and/or use picture-by-picture mode if your display supports it.

I never had to plug in a VGA card for my X800 card. It even displays the BIOS POST screen across the component cable and/or DVI cable. So I'm not sure where you were going on that question, unless I misunderstood... <?>

Albuquerque said:
I never had to plug in a VGA card for my X800 card. It even displays the BIOS POST screen across the component cable and/or DVI cable. So I'm not sure where you were going on that question, unless I misunderstood... <?>
Mine didn't, I tried just hooking my PC up to HDTV using the DVI and didn't get anything. :(

Back