DVD burner f**ked?

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
Hey guys,

i've been trying to back up my music on DVD, but for some reason it just won't work. I'm using Nero.

This is the message i get:

15:14:54 #12 Phase 24 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1832
Caching of files started

15:14:54 #13 Text 0 File Burncd.cpp, Line 4051
Cache writing successful.

15:14:54 #14 Phase 25 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1832
Caching of files completed

15:14:54 #15 Phase 36 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1832
Burn process started at 8x (11,080 KB/s)

15:14:54 #16 Text 0 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 2609
Verifying disc position of item 0 (relocatable, disc pos, no patch infos, orig at #0): write at #0

15:14:54 #17 Text 0 File Cdrdrv.cpp, Line 8438
---- DVD Structure: Physical Format Information (00h) ----
Layer: 0, Address: 0 (0 h), AGID: 0; Length: 2050
Book Type: DVD+R (10), Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120 mm, Maximum Rate: <not specified> (F h)
Number of Layers: 1, Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP), Layer Type: recordable
Linear Density: 0,267 um/bit, Track Density: 0,74 um/track
Starting Physical Sector Number of Data Area: 30000 h (DVD-ROM, DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW)
End Physical Sector Number of Data Area: 26053F h
End Sector Number in Layer 0: 0 h (LBN: FFFD0000 h, 4193920 MB)
Data in Burst Cutting Area (BCA) does not exist
Disc Application Code: 0 / 0 h
Extended Information indicators: 3 h
Disc Manufacturer ID: CMC.MAG.
Media type ID: E01
Product revision number: 0
Number of Physical format information bytes in use in ADIP up to byte 63: 56
Media Specific [16..63]:
00 00 03 43 4D 43 20 4D - 41 47 00 45 30 31 00 38 ...CMC.MAG.E01.8
23 54 37 10 02 38 6A 02 - 88 67 15 15 0B 0B 08 08 #T7..8j..g......
01 19 1B 0C 0C 0C 0D 01 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

15:14:54 #18 Text 0 File DVDPlusRW.cpp, Line 652
Start write address at LBA 0
DVD high compatibility mode: Yes

15:15:01 #19 SCSI -1106 File Cdrdrv.cpp, Line 1436
SCSI Exec, HA 1, TA 0, LUN 0, buffer 0x04970000
HA-Status 0x00 (0x00, OK)
TA-Status 0x02 (0x01, SCSI_TASTATUS_CHKCOND)
Sense Key: 0x03 (KEY_MEDIUM_ERROR)
Sense Code: 0x73
Sense Qual: 0x03
CDB Data: 0x2A 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x20 0x00 0x00 0x00
Sense Data: 0x70 0x00 0x03 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x0A
0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x73 0x03

15:15:01 #20 CDR -1106 File Writer.cpp, Line 311
Power calibration error

15:15:01 #21 Text 0 File ThreadedTransfer.cpp, Line 228
all writers idle, stopping conversion

15:15:01 #22 Text 0 File ThreadedTransfer.cpp, Line 222
conversion idle, stopping reader

15:15:01 #23 Phase 127 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1832
Generating DVD high compatibility borders

15:15:01 #24 Phase 129 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1832
Generating DVD borders completed successfully

15:15:01 #25 Phase 38 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1832
Burn process failed at 8x (11,080 KB/s)

Is my DVD writer broken? am i doing something wrong? it always worked just fine, i'm not sure why it would do this now all of a sudden if it's not broken...

As BZB said, this comes from a bad media, at least a media that is not tottaly compatible with your burner.

A few choices of what to do here, if you bought a ton of those DVD, just look for a firmware update for your burner (http://club.cdfreaks.com/index.php?) and/or try to burn at lower speed (Technically that isn't supposed to help with the problem, but it worked for some people, so better give it a try).

If you only bought a few of those blank DVDs, just go back to the store and buy new ones that aren't labbeled "cheapskate" (Verbatim for the win!).

Vysez said:
As BZB said, this comes from a bad media, at least a media that is not tottaly compatible with your burner.

A few choices of what to do here, if you bought a ton of those DVD, just look for a firmware update for your burner (http://club.cdfreaks.com/index.php?) and/or try to burn at lower speed (Technically that isn't supposed to help with the problem, but it worked for some people, so better give it a try).

If you only bought a few of those blank DVDs, just go back to the store and buy new ones that aren't labbeled "cheapskate" (Verbatim for the win!).

But they always worked before!! They're not Verbatim, thay can be perceived as cheap to.. well.. everyone... but they always worked before!!

london-boy said:
But they always worked before!! They're not Verbatim, thay can be perceived as cheap to.. well.. everyone... but they always worked before!!

So it's just a bad one. Did you leave them out in the sun or something? Some media are just iffy or not very compatible with your drive, and when they get opened and left in light for a couple of months, they get borderline.

You can go out and buy a new DVDR if you want, but it'd be cheaper just to buy a different brand of blank disc.

Definitely upgrade the firmware if it isn't up to date. Many times the firmware will improve compatability with different types of media. Then again, you may just have some really crappy media.... stop being a cheap bastard! :LOL:

P.S. I have always had great results with Verbatim btw...

Verbatim is the best. Most other media are just bought in huge batches from the cheapest manufacturer, so quality varies a lot every few months, especially with the cheaper brands.

And your writer might be broken after all. The power output of the laser diminishes over time, it's the thing that breaks after a while. It might still be able to read disks, but have to little power left to write them.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
So it's just a bad one. Did you leave them out in the sun or something? .

More like bad 4 so far.. i opened the box ages ago but they were always on my desk, no sun ever...

london-boy said:
More like bad 4 so far.. i opened the box ages ago but they were always on my desk, no sun ever...

if it's any consolation i've doubted my burners before, as i started to get problems with a lot of recordings, even at low speeds
it turned out that the whole end portion of a cake-tin must have been a bit shite, and those had no sunburn either
must have been the beginning or end of a bad batch that i got - some burns looked more "etched in" than others on those discs too
i've since switched to Verbatim and none has let me down so far since

i do still get problems in Nero though
NeroVision Express sometimes just grinds itself to a halt when "transcoding" a bunch of movie files to a DVD format for burning
it doesn't lock up or report as 'not responding', it just kind of sits there with the timer still running and CPU usage showing at 100% in Windows' Task Manager

deviantchild said:
if it's any consolation i've doubted my burners before, as i started to get problems with a lot of recordings, even at low speeds
it turned out that the whole end portion of a cake-tin must have been a bit shite, and those had no sunburn either
must have been the beginning or end of a bad batch that i got - some burns looked more "etched in" than others on those discs too
i've since switched to Verbatim and none has let me down so far since

i do still get problems in Nero though
NeroVision Express sometimes just grinds itself to a halt when "transcoding" a bunch of movie files to a DVD format for burning
it doesn't lock up or report as 'not responding', it just kind of sits there with the timer still running and CPU usage showing at 100% in Windows' Task Manager

Oh hell i NEVER use Nero to transcode files to DVD files. Quality is horrible and it's the slowest thing this side of Paris Hilton.

I'll stick to Verbatim and see how it goes.

Verbatim sucks badly.

OT, I had to laugh when I saw the title. I knew they do it with sheep sometimes, but a DVD burner? Err...

london-boy said:
Oh hell i NEVER use Nero to transcode files to DVD files. Quality is horrible and it's the slowest thing this side of Paris Hilton.

I'll stick to Verbatim and see how it goes.

well, i didn't know!
it wasn't by choice
i like to limit the amount of SW that do the same tasks on my compy
i don't really like Nero, it's bloaty and that NeroVision puts a media player on the comp w'out asking, but it seemed to me to be the most comprehensive suite
what should i use instead - something where i can still make menus and titles?
ps. sorry to hijack the thread slightly

deviantchild said:
well, i didn't know!
it wasn't by choice
i don't really like Nero, it's bloaty and that NeroVision puts a media player on the comp w'out asking, but it seemed to me to be the most comprehensive suite

I really really recommend VSO DivxToDVD software. very small and does what it says (converts any video file into DVD burnable files) properly and relatively quickly. Many times faster than Nero, and much better video quality to boot.

deviantchild said:
well, i didn't know!
it wasn't by choice

I second VSO DivxToDVD, and there are still free versions around that do a good conversion.

Avi2DVD also works well, and can handle subtitles and multiple streams. It can use several conversion engines, but you have to be careful as the default setting on them take a long time for high quality output. You can turn these settings down and make it as fast as Avi2DVD.

If you need to make menus, you can still use Nero, and then just insert the file converted in DivxToDVD or Avi2DVD. Nero shouldn't try to re-encode the file, so you end up with better quality files and Nero only making the menus, overall taking less time too.

If you need to make menus, you can still use Nero, and then just insert the file converted in DivxToDVD or Avi2DVD. Nero shouldn't try to re-encode the file, so you end up with better quality files and Nero only making the menus, overall taking less time too.

Heh... Shouldn't... Last time i tried, Nero took the DVD files i converted with DIVXtoDVD and "transcoded" them into the same things and put them into the menus. In the wrong order... Not sure why.

Somewhere there's an option to turn transcoding off, but don't ask me how. I just know I saw it somewhere.

_xxx_ said:
Somewhere there's an option to turn transcoding off, but don't ask me how. I just know I saw it somewhere.

Good god that would help a lot. Nero's not the most user-friendly thing around when it comes to.. well... do stuff.

london-boy said:
Good god that would help a lot. Nero's not the most user-friendly thing around when it comes to.. well... do stuff.

Then you haven't tried WinOnCD or EasyCDCreator (what a oxymoron, rofl!), they're even much worse.

london-boy said:
Heh... Shouldn't... Last time i tried, Nero took the DVD files i converted with DIVXtoDVD and "transcoded" them into the same things and put them into the menus. In the wrong order... Not sure why.

That was a bug fixed a couple of months back. Nero was transcoding files that didn't need to be re-coded.

Normally I wouldn't bother going through Nero as an additional step unless you want to build menus.

That was a bug fixed a couple of months back. Nero was transcoding files that didn't need to be re-coded.

Normally I wouldn't bother going through Nero as an additional step unless you want to build menus.

Mmm strange i update it regularly... i'll try again one of these days, i have to do a DVD for me mum.

Back