DVD-Burnber getting tomorrow. What should I get?

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
I'm looking at using it for general purpose use(watching DVDs and installing games from normal CDs(not DVD)) as well as backing stuff up from my hard drive.

I want to burn several gig of data off my drive and onto a DVD.
What should I get?

Currently I seen a Sony DRU-810A DVD burner but can someone tell me others that are better?
Also what's this Mt Rainier format I heard about? What does it do and does it matter that Sony's hardware doesn't support it?

How about an all purpose SATA DVD burner/player that supports all kinds of media?
What's up with all these drives having bad error correction and poor media support?

Been reading a lot fo reviews.

Is there a wide choice of SATA optical drives? I'm only aware of two (a Plextor which is "native" SATA, and an MSI which is PATA with a built-in converter).

nutball said:
Is there a wide choice of SATA optical drives? I'm only aware of two (a Plextor which is "native" SATA, and an MSI which is PATA with a built-in converter).

I doubt it... right now SATA optical drives seem rediculously overpriced compared to their PATA counterparts...

My next burner will probably be the top model from whatever Plextor offers.

From my experience, it's definitely a good investment if you're about to burn lots of stuff. The cheap ones are all the same kind of crap, doesn't really matter that much what you buy within the same price range, they all come from 2-3 manufacturers (LiteOn being one of those) and just get a unique facelift.

Among cheaper ones, I'd go Toshiba over anything else.

Back