Dreamcast getting a new game?

Saga_Studios

Newcomer
It seems that there is a new DC game in the works called Tahi. Only seen one pic of it, don't really know the details. The developer has a website up now. The game is aspost to come out 08/2011. I don't know if its gonna happen though. If it does come out it might sell some copies, I just don't know if it will be anygood or even come out. Aspost to be an FPS/RPG combo, and have online play. I'm just wondering why? Why make a DC game, when the console is pretty much dead. Sure the DC is a nice system, but the system failed because of Segas past mistakes and lack of funds. Plus most people didn't buy a DC once the PS2, Xbox, GC were announced. Sure people still play PSO online, but really what else is there? Do you think Tahi will see the light of day, or is this game just a joke, and will it be any good?

Well, if you game is too crappy to sell as a PC game, I suppose marketing it at the last commercial Dreamcast game may get you a few bucks from die-hard Sega-philes.

:nope: Will everyone just let the poor thing rest in peace??
They would probably spend less and make 100 times more money by releasing it on the DS, the PSP or the Wii. Even if it's the worse game ever on either platform, it will make more money than releasing it on the DC.

"Tahi - The Arocean War" is what the game is called.
Seems the developer is called Reticon Enterainment
http://www.reticonentertainment.org/
From what I have heard, it will be a 3D Open world RPG. There are some pics around the web that you can look up. From the way it looks right now is that it will be an offline game. It may have online play though, but they haven't decided. I find it amazing that someone is really making a new DC game. Do I think it will ever see the light of day? Maybe, very limited, but maybe. Do I think it will be a success, maybe a little. Will it be any good? I'm inclined to say I doubt it. Might be ok, not great, than again I might be wrong. Will it come out? I really don't know. It would be nice though to accuacly have a new game for the DC. Lets face it Sega screwed its fans with killing the DC. They screwed them selves with Saturn in the US. Than screwed us by killing the DC, all because they were afarid of PS2,Xbox and the GC. If Sega would have kept DC alive for at least another 3-4 years, the system would have been a success. Probley out sold both Xbox and GC. Lets face it PS2, couldn't be touched in terms of popularity.

If Sega would have kept DC alive for at least another 3-4 years, the system would have been a success. Probley out sold both Xbox and GC.
Strange reasoning.

Sega dumped the GC because it wasn't selling well enough as it was. Continuing to produce and sell it for several more years wouldn't have meant it would have outsold other consoles that were outselling it already.

Also, it would have killed off Sega as a company, so if you're a Sega fan, count yourself lucky they dropped the DC when they did... :p

Very strange.

There's a pile of DCs are the local used game place so maybe this will clear them out....in 1.5 years when this game is released?! lol what on earth is going on!

If DC can run it, I'm sure the cell phones of 2011 can too and those have about 1000000x the market share.

Even today's "smart" cell phones pwn the DC, particulary on the CPU side. A 600+ MHz ARM chip will rofflestomp that old 200MHz SH4 in the DC...

I'm pretty sure the Iphone 3Gs and the like have more RAM too than the DC had.

I think the phones still lack FPU hardware so that's a little hurdle there. ;)

Even today's "smart" cell phones pwn the DC, particulary on the CPU side. A 600+ MHz ARM chip will rofflestomp that old 200MHz SH4 in the DC...
While some recent phone's CPU would rofflestomp the SH4, the majority of them from a couple of years ago would have no chance against the SH4 - we're talking ARM9-class CPUs that don't even have a FPU versus a 200MHz fully-pipelined fpu SIMD. I'd bet on the SH4 for games : )

I'm pretty sure the Iphone 3Gs and the like have more RAM too than the DC had.
The first iphone/ipod touch have more RAM (available to apps) than the DC.

While some recent phone's CPU would rofflestomp the SH4, the majority of them from a couple of years ago would have no chance against the SH4 - we're talking ARM9-class CPUs that don't even have a FPU versus a 200MHz fully-pipelined fpu SIMD. I'd bet on the SH4 for games : )
Smartphones out now using the ARM Cortex CPUs must surely have FPUs. In any case, the 3D hardware in these phones have hardware T&L, or perhaps even unified shader processors, so the need for floating point math in the CPU is a lot less than it was for the DC - which lacked hardware T&L as you may recall. Overall I'd still think a FPU-less smartphone with T&L GPU is at least comparable to the DC's SH4 from a gaming perspective. It's been ~12 years since the DC launched. Silicon integration has progressed somewhat since then. :)

Some people are getting desperate to get their game noticed by the game public instead of getting ignored or dismissed

The only people who are going to notice this are die hard Dreamcast people, not the gaming public.

I'd suggest Steam or XB Live Arcade.

Back