Dragon's Dogma 2 [PS5, XBSX|S, PC] - The same old DD you know and love, with more spice

Now that the initial honeymoon period is waning after all the glowing reviews and hype, it seems more fully rounded impressions are coming out, and I'm seeing a very regular criticism that was my biggest issue with the first game - lack of enemy variety(at least in the base game). A game can have amazing combat mechanics, but if I'm fighting the same enemies over and over, it's still gonna get dull.

DD2 does seem to address my other big complaint of the first one by having a much larger world, but it seems like this is gonna compound the 'lack of enemy variety' problem at the same time. Necessarily, if you have a bigger world, you generally need more enemy variety to fill it out.

Sounds like many players are resting hope on the DLC to fix this issue.

Now that the initial honeymoon period is waning after all the glowing reviews and hype, it seems more fully rounded impressions are coming out, and I'm seeing a very regular criticism that was my biggest issue with the first game - lack of enemy variety(at least in the base game). A game can have amazing combat mechanics, but if I'm fighting the same enemies over and over, it's still gonna get dull.

Personally I don't feel that's a problem, because each type enemy has their own characters and you need to fight them with somewhat different strategies. Of course if your level is very high you probably won't need to do that. On the other hand, you can have 100 different enemies in a game but if their behvaior are very similar then that's not real variety.

Seems dragon's dogma 2 got similar issue with dragons dogma 1, where the game is not really completed.... And on top of that, the English translation team seems to be not knowing dragon's dogma 1 and resulting in confusing translation

Translation is difficult, and I get that the English translators tries to make it sounds more "medieval," but after my first playthrough mostly in English, I found that the traditional Chinese translation is, in most case, more close to the original Japanese texts (my Japanese is not good enough to effortlessly playing the game entirely in Japanese).

Nvidiaforever2 has released a 2.2GB HD Texture Pack for Dragon’s Dogma 2 that overhauls all of its environments. This pack is a must for those who want a bit more sharper environments. According to the modder, this pack overhauls 1313 texture files. Nvidiaforever2 used AI tools in order to upscale the original textures by two times. As such, the new textures will have the same art style as the vanilla ones.

Have finally finished this. And I mean finished, not just got to the credits after beating the dragon. Absolutely loved it, but as with all these RPGs I am left wanting more, more areas to explore, more caverns, more dungeons. That's one thing that Skyrim nailed that is missing from contemporary games, the extra curicular exploration, Witcher 3 nailed the living world, Skyrim nailed the exploration, but DD2 has them both,just not as much or enough. But still a five star game.

Have finally finished this. And I mean finished, not just got to the credits after beating the dragon. Absolutely loved it, but as with all these RPGs I am left wanting more, more areas to explore, more caverns, more dungeons. That's one thing that Skyrim nailed that is missing from contemporary games, the extra curicular exploration, Witcher 3 nailed the living world, Skyrim nailed the exploration, but DD2 has them both,just not as much or enough. But still a five star game.

Yes, in my first playthrough the map feels very large, but in new game + because of a bug (?) the whole map is uncovered and now it feels smaller now.
Of course I still have a lot of places not explored so I have a lot left to do but indeed it'd be nice if it's even larger.
I suspect that Capcom probably didn't want to put too much resources into this game because it's kind of a gamble. Hopefully they'll change their mind.

No wonder the game felt incomplete / economic. Someone compared the staff count and it's around a quarter of normal Capcom games
Using the number of names in credits is not necessarily a good way to count actual developer heads. Lots of people get included in credits that are quite tangential to the actual making of the game. There's indie games done by like 10 people yet will have like 100 people in the credits.

That said, I think it was always obvious that Dragon's Dogma was not getting Capcom's A teams.

Yes, in my first playthrough the map feels very large, but in new game + because of a bug (?) the whole map is uncovered and now it feels smaller now.
The first game was much worse about this. In the beginning, the game felt exciting and like it's gonna be big and full of new areas and locations but then you start butting up against the limits of the map(s) and realize by about halfway through that it's a fairly limited open world and there's really not much else to see or experience beyond story missions(and then the Dark Arisen DLC which is basically like a whole separate game mode, essentially).

That said, most open world games will feel like this to some degree.

Using the number of names in credits is not necessarily a good way to count actual developer heads. Lots of people get included in credits that are quite tangential to the actual making of the game. There's indie games done by like 10 people yet will have like 100 people in the credits.

That said, I think it was always obvious that Dragon's Dogma was not getting Capcom's A teams.

The first game was much worse about this. In the beginning, the game felt exciting and like it's gonna be big and full of new areas and locations but then you start butting up against the limits of the map(s) and realize by about halfway through that it's a fairly limited open world and there's really not much else to see or experience beyond story missions(and then the Dark Arisen DLC which is basically like a whole separate game mode, essentially).

That said, most open world games will feel like this to some degree.

Btw that npc in the seaside town, made me wonder if they also planned for something like bitterblack isle dlc

Does it will ever be explained how the heck the king switcheroo happened?

As my character is totally different than the false king.

Lots of people get included in credits that are quite tangential to the actual making of the game.
That is certainly true, I recently had to watch the credits of a game (wouldnt let me skip) and I remember thinking "My god are they going to tell me who cleaned the windows of the office next"

Does it will ever be explained how the heck the king switcheroo happened?

As my character is totally different than the false king.

Probably not, but I guess relatively few people actually saw the real one up close and those who support the queen are willing to play along.
That's also why the "coronation" seems to be important because the queen needs to "prove" to more people that the false king is real, by using the pawn controlling device.

Back