Dragon Age 2

Because they are both set in Baldur's Gate in the Forgotten Realms ADnD universe. The places and general IP such as spell names and creatures are shared across games. it's equivalent, say, to a FF Tactics game being FF in name but not gameplay.

True but it could add to confusion as people just say 'Baldurs Gate'.

Yet 100x the entertainment value! :p And a much better fit for consoles than DA2's midway attempt to span play styles.

Oh I am not saying it is a bad game but fact is the complexity and work put into is wast in comparision. It's the huge difference in quality put into story, dialogs and choices, design, size/variation, interaction and attention to minor detail. It's shame such attention to detail is barely to be found anymore. How lots of weapons, armors and other things had not only well laid out stats but also a text giving of it's history with a beathiful unique painting of object. A history in some cases you even could relate to if you played the first BG on PC saying: "hey that was me described in there!". The music was also incredible though the consoel version might have had some of Inon Zur's masterpieces. NPC party and interaction/romances and occurences is also something that stands out, even more than DAO's.

Being prepared to battle a house sized dragon with this kind of music in the background is beyond epic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8fw7GQg6C4&feature=related or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V6ayeiKkT4&feature=related

And be greated by this kind of music when launching game/playing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDYEGDrO0mU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB7T6Kd9cYg

If you will console version has more incommon with Sacred 2 while the PC version with DAO ignoring combat system and navigation system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, see I recommended it to patsu because I think he might like it. You Shifty on the other hand I knew you needn't bother as there's no co-op, let alone online coop. ;)

True but it could add to confusion as people just say 'Baldurs Gate'.
The console abbreviation should always be BGDA to avoid confusion.

I agree with what you say about content, Baldur's Gate being a truer Pen and Paper RPG experience, but I have to pull you up on this:
Being prepared to battle a house sized dragon with this kind of music in the background is beyond epic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8fw7GQg6C4&feature=related or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V6ayeiKkT4&feature=related

And be greated by this kind of music when launching game/playing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDYEGDrO0mU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB7T6Kd9cYg
BGDA's music was as classy as the rest of the game. It opened with this, and the opening cinematic sounded like this.

None of which has much to do with this thread! ;) Sigfried1977's point had nothing to do with the content and low-level descriptions of items etc., so the difference between Baldur's Gate and BGDA are moot in terms of this conversation other than play style.

Now, see I recommended it to patsu because I think he might like it. You Shifty on the other hand I knew you needn't bother as there's no co-op, let alone online coop. ;)
Coop is always a plus, but I wouldn't be averse to a decent solo ARPG experience. I played huhdred of hours of BGDA and CON+RTA on my own, as well as playing it with friends (although had PS2 had a decent online service back then, i'd have played more coop no doubt). I just didn't get that from this game. DS3 will probably get a look in even without coop

I haven't played the demo yet, as I'm already looking forward to playing the actual game.

Dragon Age Origins was a lot like Kotor with a medieval fantasy skin. I like its Kotor 2 like influence system as opposed to typical good/evil/karma stuff. Gambit like combat management was also very welcome.

Unfortunately, like all recent Bioware games, it had terrible tech, very limited "openness" and lots of loading.

Can't say I was terribly impressed by the demo. Although it did look exceptionally smooth for a 360 game.

The voice acting was disappointing. Amazingly, the worst offender was the lead character himself (who confusingly, was called 'garret' when I played - I thought he was called hawke?). There was little to no emotion, and clearly the actors recorded their lines separately. The writing also left a lot to be desired..

The gameplay... Well, can't say that grabbed me either. Press 'A' to fire an arrow. Press it again. And again. Move if you are being attacked. Did you press 'A' yet? Press 'A'!!!!
I get the feeling this game would benefit from combat being 10x as deadly. One to two arrows/blows/spells = dead, so you absolutely have to keep vigilant control over your teammates.
When a simple low tier enemy takes 20 blows, any sense of urgency, reality or danger just disappears. It contrasts especially badly with the cut-scenes and character abilities.

I don't want to say stuck in the past, but I do feel the writing, design and execution felt very dated and immature. There is no reason a game like this cannot have the emotional depth and intrigue of the best novels or movies. DA1 gave hints at this, with some of the character backstories - but I felt it never really came across in the core game.

And the comical blood splatter is still there, destroying any subtlety the cut-scenes were trying to portray.

Finally, why is there no auto-levelup?!

How do the conversation choices affect the game? First time I tried the demo I picked all red fist responses. The second time, to see what changes, I tried all lovie-dovie choices. The end results was basically the same. Maybe one ot two responses were a little different, but the conversation arc was fixed, with actors saying lines that didn't seem to fit. I felt the choices of response were immaterial. Good/Bad choices are primitive, but when they affect how your character develops, or which ranch you follow, at least they have purpose. So do the choices in DA2 actually have purpose, or are they just there to give a bit more freedom in playing your character how you want to?

I didn't like the demo. I'm not going buy the game, or any western action RPG anytime soon. Gameplay wise it fails as both an action and as an RPG. Like most RPG's it just becomes a grind.

The whole dialog system completely destroys the immersion. In the demo your supposed to be in danger, and your desperately trying to escape. But the whole world has to come to a halt just for you make up your mind wether you want to reply like a nice guy, a clown, or an asshole. It's a choose your own cliché system. If they want to give the player choice, then at least do it a way that makes sense.

The whole dialog system completely destroys the immersion. In the demo your supposed to be in danger, and your desperately trying to escape. But the whole world has to come to a halt ...
That's true of every game! "Quick, Drake/Snake/Bob, we have to rescue the girl/kill the bad guy/escape from the burning building. " "Sure, but I'll just look around for treasures/codexes/collectibles first."

I don't recall any game that preserves the tempo of the story with its gameplay that usually includes lots of non-story related subchallenges, save a few rare story-based games or levels in games where the secrets are dropped (but they don't tell the player that, so you go looking around for stuff that doesn't exist).

That's true of every game! "Quick, Drake/Snake/Bob, we have to rescue the girl/kill the bad guy/escape from the burning building. " "Sure, but I'll just look around for treasures/codexes/collectibles first."

I don't recall any game that preserves the tempo of the story with its gameplay that usually includes lots of non-story related subchallenges, save a few rare story-based games or levels in games where the secrets are dropped (but they don't tell the player that, so you go looking around for stuff that doesn't exist).

Sure, but most games don't stop everything to ask you if you want to some side stuff. You can simply ignore it if you want to. A dialog system like Heavy Rain has makes a lot more sense IMO.

Heh heh, so the demo does have a giant dragon, and as one of the dialog choices stated, I wanted to learn that trick. ^_^

Sadly they lock out the equipment screen so I didn't test with more weapons and skills. Like what Graham mentioned, it made the combat become X spamming until the special moves recharge. The combat action is also missing a roll/dodge. Figured out how to switch character only after the demo ended. :oops: I didn't know how to heal myself.

Cutscenes look normal.

So my guess is the journey is the reward in this game. Develop and cook the story, skills, equipments, gambit over a long time to earn power, alliance and treasures ? If the story is well developed and has twist like KOTOR, it could be interesting.

So Arwin, you guessed right that I would be interested in the game, especially a non-shooter and non-racing game. The subject matter brought back old memories. Haven't decided whether or when to buy it yet. The main problem is my time. I know if I buy it now, I definitely can't complete it.

I'm inclined to wait for price drop first. Or wait just long enough for people to comment/complain about the story. That way I know if my guess is correct. :oops:

...or the witch eventually taught Garret her dragon magic, then I may move my schedule around to fit the game ! :LOL:

How do the conversation choices affect the game? First time I tried the demo I picked all red fist responses. The second time, to see what changes, I tried all lovie-dovie choices. The end results was basically the same. Maybe one ot two responses were a little different, but the conversation arc was fixed, with actors saying lines that didn't seem to fit. I felt the choices of response were immaterial. Good/Bad choices are primitive, but when they affect how your character develops, or which ranch you follow, at least they have purpose. So do the choices in DA2 actually have purpose, or are they just there to give a bit more freedom in playing your character how you want to?

I think I'm going to read more about impressions on this game on gaf just like patsu, but from the demo I would guess that your behaviour influences the status of certain characters you meet and hang out with, and ultimately influences whether or not they'll turn out to become enemies or friends later on. There's a status bar on some of the characters indicating their current friend/enemy status that can clearly be influenced.

And yes, playing the Rogue it is a really bad idea to pick up that bow and arrow when you get the chance because then you're stuck with it, and it is much more limited than what the Rogue can do in terms of hand-to-hand combat, which I thought was pretty cool - you can really avoid attacks, have a nice strike from behind ability (basically a very cool and effective dodge) and get a 'throw stun grenade' type ranged aoe attack as well.

Mind you I haven't played a lot of these games in the past, but there seems to be a lot of depth in the game and I'm intrigued so far. Shame though that the demo doesn't let us play with the inventory.

Some gamers don't like the lock-on mechanism in Demon's Souls though. We shall see if Dark Souls improves it.

I started playing DA just before I got ME2 and stopped so I could do a bit of space opera. Now I am loath to got back to DA, it wasn't that the game is bad. It's a bit grindy in the run from A to B do C and repeat. But the core game play and the quality of the scripting it just brilliant.

It's just that I've finished ME2, well almost! (~67h) and now I've just completed KZ3 and I get a feeling that the GFX in DA are going to just not going to support the game.

That's why I'm looking forward to DA2 if it's got the same kind of graphical overhaul that ME2 had. But with Skyrim on the horizon...

I was working out my age and potential age I'll die at and looking at how many hours that was. Subtract time for work, sleeping, eating, being a daddy, and having a life etc. I reckon I can fit in a few mammoth RPGs before I croak. That is if I don't succumb to a sudden heart attttt..............

I started playing DA just before I got ME2 and stopped so I could do a bit of space opera. Now I am loath to got back to DA, it wasn't that the game is bad. It's a bit grindy in the run from A to B do C and repeat. But the core game play and the quality of the scripting it just brilliant.

It's just that I've finished ME2, well almost! (~67h) and now I've just completed KZ3 and I get a feeling that the GFX in DA are going to just not going to support the game.

That's why I'm looking forward to DA2 if it's got the same kind of graphical overhaul that ME2 had. But with Skyrim on the horizon...

I was working out my age and potential age I'll die at and looking at how many hours that was. Subtract time for work, sleeping, eating, being a daddy, and having a life etc. I reckon I can fit in a few mammoth RPGs before I croak. That is if I don't succumb to a sudden heart attttt..............

I just got done with DragonAge and all the DLC on the PC. I had a great time with it.

Honestly, I notice that I care more about graphics when I'm online looking at games. When I'm playing a good game, even if it has great graphics, I'll acknowledge it for a moment but then I quickly get sucked in by the gameplay and end up focusing on that only.

Dragon Age, on the PC atleast, plays so amazingly well that it should be easy to forget it's non class leading graphics.

Honestly, I notice that I care more about graphics when I'm online looking at games. When I'm playing a good game, even if it has great graphics, I'll acknowledge it for a moment but then I quickly get sucked in by the gameplay and end up focusing on that only.

Great graphics (and music + sound effects !) should be able to support/accentuate the atmosphere and experience rather than just looking pretty though.

Great graphics (and music + sound effects !) should be able to support/accentuate the atmosphere and experience rather than just looking pretty though.

I'd say audio ends up adding more to the atmosphere than graphics. I'd personally put art style well above technical victories. That's just me though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for great graphics but when I'm done with a game and reflect on it, it's rarely a point I recall for why I thought it was great. However, I can certainly recall games with great graphics where the gameplay and overall atmosphere was lacking.

I'd say audio ends up adding more to the atmosphere than graphics. I'd personally put art style well above technical victories. That's just me though.

For me, it's the complete package ! Art style and technologies work together. Sound is very noticeable when it's missing (or missing the *umph* :))

Back