Does progressive scan reduce shimmering?

G

Let take Burnout 2 for example.
The game has bad shimmery roads on my conventional TV via component but it can also run in 480p. Will that make a difference?

Progressive scan will reduce line flickering which can certainly enhance the visual impact of shimmering. It won't actually remove pixel popping and texture aliasing or whatever qualifies as shimmering, though.

Unless your TV has a interlaced line doubler like mine :D, shimmering should be reduced SLIGHTLY by progressive scan.

Don't expect magical 8x Anisotropic filtering to appear out of nowhere, though - the absence of line flicker is the only actual change that will occur, though in theory the vertical resolution per discrete 60Hz (NTSC) refresh will be doubled.

Don't know why it happens, but the only times I notice shimmering in Burnout 2 is in those few seconds before the race actualy starts. As soon as the road starts moving, it's gone. At least on my TV (also non progressive, component), I'd say on the level with DOA3 - it's there, but has very rare occurences.

Back