Dodgy PS2 drive

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
As a nice change from all this futuristic next-gen, new game stuff, he's a golden oldie. My PS2's developed a noisy drive. Games run without problem, but the head bangs about a lot, more in some games than others. Is this something I can fix myself?

I think my PS2 has also banged it's head a bit louder recently, or maybe it's done it always and I've just become more sensitive to headbanging.
Doesn't seem to affect the loading and games though, even heavy streaming games like GTA work perfect.
It could be a sign of the drive finally breaking, I wish it'd hold on until March 2007.

Have you tried that "auto repair function" of the PS2? The one where you pressed triangle or something in the menu and it's supposed to somehow fix someting (head alignment?) automatically as you put a disc in?
What does that function really do anyway? I've never, during the lifetime of PS2, ever seen a reliable explanation of that????

I think my PS2 has also banged it's head a bit louder recently, or maybe it's done it always and I've just become more sensitive to headbanging.
OIt was SW:Battlefronts II that started it. In that game the drive head started knocking, and the longer I played, the worse the knocking became, elevating to serious thrashing. I'd turn it off and start again at that point. Since then, other discs have exhibited thrashing too. :(

Have you tried that "auto repair function" of the PS2? The one where you pressed triangle or something in the menu and it's supposed to somehow fix someting (head alignment?) automatically as you put a disc in?
What does that function really do anyway? I've never, during the lifetime of PS2, ever seen a reliable explanation of that????
:oops: Never heard of that one.

What, the "diagnostic" option? I don't think it actually does anything. It certainly never fixed anything when i had problems (mainly read error messages).

Anyway, my head has been banging for years! And the drive has always been very loud... Sometimes i would get read error messages but lately they seem to have gone... Then again i have played one or two games in the last year...

Not sure if it even is there any more on the slimline PSTwo's.
Surely it does something, why put it in there if it does nothing?
Yes, it was the "Diagnostic" option.
gamefaqs said:
Load your PS2 without a disc inside and wait until you get to the main menu.
Press Triangle and highlight "Console", then press Triangle again and set
"Diagnosis" to ON. What does this setting do? Basically, it focuses the laser
on the disc so that it has an easier time reading discs. http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/ps2_disc_read_error_a.txt

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is a launch PS2. The thing is ancient. And it's been on stand-by for about 6 months now without having been touched. Hopefull it will work by the tiem i get Okami and the last couple of games i'll get for PS2 before selling it to someone really stupid for about 100 quid.

Back