Distributing MP3s

There is no straightforward answer - it all depends on whether the tracks on the CD are copyrighted and by what terms.

As a general rule, yes, it is illegal. It may be legal if you live in a country with unusual copyright laws or if you get a permit from the audio CD's copyright holder, but this is not usually the case.

I have noticed that certain audio technology sites (like Hydrogenaudio.org) allow uploads of 30-second samples, but for the use for non-commercial/review/technology discussion purposes only; if you try to use the sample for anything commercial, you will probably be asked or sued to pay for it.

So if I like a song in an audioCD and want to convert it to a MP3 to let you guys hear it, would I be in trouble? I have no intention of making any money from doing this although surely I can't be held responsible if someone who d/l the MP3 decides otherwise..... right?

it would be like sneaking people into a movie theatre. you're not making any money off of it but you're still giving people something for free that you dont own and the person who does own charges for. so, it's still stealing. and it's illegal. UNLESS it's not copywrighted or if the copywright permits it.

If I recall correctly, fair use permits the use of small samples (~30 sec or 10% of the length-- if shorter-- tops, usually in a non-commercial context) without the copyright owner's permission. This is what allows news shows to display clips or recite portions of lyrics.

However, the full version is out. Also, fair use is has been shown to not be a priority in all court cases dealing with copyrights.

edit:

Here's a site I googled for school projects that has some guidelines for fair use.

http://www.schoollink.org/twin/middleschoolscience/fairuseguidelines.htm

Reverend said:
So if I like a song in an audioCD and want to convert it to a MP3 to let you guys hear it, would I be in trouble? I have no intention of making any money from doing this although surely I can't be held responsible if someone who d/l the MP3 decides otherwise..... right?

You could try to claim fair use BUT most companies have the permission through RIAA to under go those activities.

Back