Displacement Mapping for the Masses

that's from last year.. and even after gdc they did the same presentation for meltdown 2001

so it hints to something for their next card

and they're back at it this year
http://cmp.bluedot.com/re/attendee/gdc_02/speakerPage.esp?speakerId=36748231

Textures into Geometry: Displacement Maps as a New Geometry Primitive
Date/Time: Date/Time TBA
Track: Programming
Format: Sponsored Session
Level: All

Description:
Displacement maps provide a mechanism to procedurally generate a detailed continuous-LOD triangle mesh using a minimal amount of data. This session explores the impact of textures in the geometry pipeline, such as geometry filtering and procedural displacements.

well, I was expecting that, but more than that, I am waiting if there is going to be a demo of displacement maps on actual hardware...

EDITS: How on earth there was so many typos on single paragraph??

[ This Message was massively edited many times by: Nappe1 on time when noone was seeing it. ]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nappe1 on 2002-02-14 23:08 ]</font>

Are you trying to rack up all the record Nappe1? First the largest number of smilies in a post and now the largest number of edits (on the fewest number of words)! ;)

:p

Nappe1: IIRC, you can delete the previous [edited] text when you edit your post again...

Personally (and I've said this before) hardware displacement mapping is probably the singular upcoming feature that has me most excited right now (from an endusers standpoint). Flat textures, to be blunt, suck. :smile: Moving to bumpmapped scenes is a big BIG step in image quality (I cant believe its taken - taking! - as long as it has), but the one 'problem' with bump mapping is that the illusion of depth is always destroyed when viewing a polygons edgeline. Displacement mapping will/should fix this. I've been a big believer of this ever since I saw a few Pixar demos highlighting the effect awhile back.

On 2002-02-14 16:18, DaveBaumann wrote:
Are you trying to rack up all the record Nappe1? First the largest number of smilies in a post and now the largest number of edits (on the fewest number of words)! ;)

:p

...and I am proud of it. ;)

On 2002-02-14 17:49, Hyp-X wrote:
Nappe1: IIRC, you can delete the previous [edited] text when you edit your post again...
oh really? ;)
*nappe1 writes to his notebook: remember remove edit notes when editing your message 6th time. ;)

Back