Differences between PS2 and GC hardware?

Yes of course, it is somewhere in between, and that is certainly manageable. Point is, no need to shoot down a perfectly valid technique with some farfetched assertion, just because you don't like the technique.

Good to see fafalada again!
Anyone with good GC knowledge around? 8)

Now people, you have forgotten something. CLUT really sucks when mipmapping. The lower mip levels with either become horribly aliased or the texture will become discoloured and details will be lost. Most games tend to autogenerate mipmaps at run time but with CLUT textures you need to pregenerate them to make sure that everything is correct.

CLUT is nothing new to video game artists so I doubt mipmapping is any trouble for them. PSX, Saturn, and Voodoo Glide games used CLUT too. Another thing is, Dreamcast's PowerVQ and S3tc texture formats are CLUT based algorithms.

Now I have to post a few 256 color pictures too... sorry to all 56k'ers... :)

ELECTRON-WoodFish.gif

SKETCH-Krysia.gif

LAZUR-Crossing.gif

dragoninflames.gif

LAZUR-Elmore.gif

LAZUR-Eye.gif

grs_wood.gif

LAZUR-Fairyland.gif

sunrise.gif

LAZUR-Gimenez.gif

metal.gif

LAZUR-RedAutumn.gif

LAZUR-UpadlaMonaLisa.gif

BEAST-Fish.gif

LAZUR-Whirl.gif

temporal.gif

I once saw a really cool drawing of two cherries splashing into water. It was only 16 colors but looked really good anyway. Unfortunately I was unable to find it. Does anybody here know what picture I'm talking about? I would be very grateful for a link...

Thowllly, I know *exactly* what picture you are talking about and I could swear I had it somewhere. However, I can't find it no matter how hard I try right now. That's weird beause I have everything organized and I'm sure I wouldn't delete it if I indeed had it. Perhaps I've seen it on someone else's computer long time ago.

Anyways, here's another 16 color picture that also looks very impressive:

steelwing.gif

Back