Difference between Athlon XP, MP processors

Sxotty

Legend
I was thinking of perhaps getting a dual processor rig, and my Dad wants me to build him one in the future so I am trying to educate myself.

I see that currently the fastest Athlon MP is 2800, and it has a fsb of only 266 costs $250 or so, whereas a 333mHZ fsb 2800 XP costs only like $150, so it seems you pay 1/3 more for less. What makes this worthwhile, and why are the FSB of the MP processors so low, I wish they were at least 333, if not 400.

The problem as is obvious is that it seems a dual processor machine will be slower for regular tasks than a single processor machine, frustrating to say the least.

I wouldn't say slower, the memory controller is way better of those duals. But you also can buy 3000+'s and mod those to MP's. ( only 1 bridge to connect IIRC ). Almost all of these board are rockstable at 150fsb, witch is also the max of the board.

( replied also in the gigabit/soundstorm topic btw )

Thanks AAlchemy ( I actually am thinking about that gigabit board btw), I guess I will probably end up buying for my dad a dual, and a single processor for me.

With regards to the modding, you are saying that you could run them at 150fsb --> 300 but that means you would have to either downclock the processor by a large amount for a 2800, you would loose 216MHz, which actually I guess is not that bad :). Of course by modding you lose your warranty and to be honest I have always been afraid to try, now that you cannot use a pencil anymore :).

The disadvantages I see are
1)Slow memory
2)Slow system bus like above
3)Slow processors...unless modded

Maybe to get a good dual system you would have to move to opteron. I really wish that the chipset support had been updated with the Athlon line instead of stagnating.

edit: He does lots of populations simulations and what not, so being able to use a dual system is good for him.

I only need one so that I can encode movies, edit them and what not while still doing something else. Plus I suppose I would have to buy a new operating system b/c XP pro doesn't take advantage of duals does it?

I think XP Pro does take advantage of dual processors but I am not 100% sure.
The OS and the application needs to take be dual processor aware but if you are using two apps at once then you will notice that your system is more responsive.
I believe Saem has some experience in this field (with his dual Celerons).

Tahir said:
I think XP Pro does take advantage of dual processors but I am not 100% sure.

Yes it does. Along with 2003 server or windows 2000. Of course, any Linux flavour with a SMP kernel will do the job too.

Thanks, I read somewhere that XP pro did not, and one had to buy 2003 server, but I think they probably meant XP home or something.

Sxotty,

Hyper-Threading Technology†
Operating Systems that Include Optimizations for Hyper-Threading Technology

Note: Information on Hyper-Threading Technology † for Intel® Xeon™ processors is available here.

Microsoft* Windows* Operating System Desktop Based PCs
The following desktop operating systems include optimizations for HT Technology and are currently eligible to carry the new Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with HT Technology logo:
Microsoft* Windows* XP Professional Edition
Microsoft* Windows* XP Home Edition

The following desktop operating systems are not recommended for use with Hyper-Threading Technology. If you are using one of the following desktop operating systems, it is advised that you should disable Hyper-Threading Technology in the system BIOS Setup program:

Microsoft Windows 2000 (all versions)
Microsoft Windows NT* 4.0
Microsoft Windows Me
Microsoft Windows 98
Microsoft Windows 98 SE

Linux* Operating System Desktop Based PCs
The following Linux operating systems include optimizations for HT Technology and are currently eligible to carry the Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with HT Technology logo:
Red Hat Linux* 9 (Professional and Personal versions)
SuSE Linux* 8.2 (Professional and Personal versions)
Red Flag Linux* Desktop 4.0
COSIX* Linux* 4.0

Note that while other Linux operating systems may have HT Technology enabled, only the distributions above are currently eligible to carry the Intel Pentium 4 Processor with HT Technology logo. If purchasing a PC based on a different Linux operating system, check with your PC vendor to determine if the PC includes the necessary system ingredients for HT Technology and has HT Technology enabled.

† Hyper-Threading Technology requires a computer system with an Intel® Pentium® 4 processor supporting HT Technology and a Hyper-Threading Technology enabled chipset, BIOS and operating system. Performance will vary depending on the specific hardware and software you use. See http://www.intel.com/info/hyperthreading/ for more information including details on which processors support HT Technology.

http://www.intel.com/support/platform/ht/os.htm?iid=ipp_htm+os&

Dr. Ffreeze

PS. Funny, I didn't think that WinXP Home was going to support hyperthreading becuase it was seen as a 2nd processor (I understood but thought that kind of bites). Guess I was wrong.... =)

WinXP Home can handle HTT. Its "single processor support" depends on the physical number of processors, as Intel demands.

Back