Did anyone notice Rendermonkey 0.9?

demalion

Veteran
Hey, I just recalled I downloaded this earlier after reading about it on one of the news sites.

Keeping in the spirit of GF FX fixation :p , maybe someone with a GF FX could even play around with it.

Oh well, off to take a very casual peek...

EDIT: A bit rude of me to forget a link, wasn't it? :oops:

Funny, I just noticed it yesterday, maybe a couple of hours before you made this post.

They have render-to-texture support now, which was a big omission in the first release. I'm going to play around with it this weekend, I think.

Has someone an idea, how to export the shaders into dx9? Will ATi's provide an xms parsing library or do I have to write one for myself?

Thomas

Renderman support?

I remember when RenderMonkey was first announced, support for Renderman shaders was mentioned. Is this feature being worked on or was it just PR talk?

Re: Renderman support?

_GeLeTo_ said:
I remember when RenderMonkey was first announced, support for Renderman shaders was mentioned. Is this feature being worked on or was it just PR talk?

Must be worked on, PR talk can't be COMPLETELY wrong. (IE: FSAA will be a driver and hardware feature that will never get taken out in any driver release. CARD COMES OUT: (Q&A team): We are not going to add FSAA at all.)

_GeLeTo_ said:

Renderman shaders can be very complex (take a look at "Apodaca/Gritz Advanced RenderMan"), so I think converting them by hand should be enough, which isn't that complicated because the syntax is not that much different.

Thomas

K.I.L.E.R said:
_GeLeTo_ said:

Must be worked on, PR talk can't be COMPLETELY wrong. (IE: FSAA will be a driver and hardware feature that will never get taken out in any driver release. CARD COMES OUT: (Q&A team): We are not going to add FSAA at all.)

A bit like what they did with SSAA?

Tahir said:
K.I.L.E.R said:
_GeLeTo_ said:

A bit like what they did with SSAA?

They never promised to allow SSAA available in the drivers. :)

tb said:
_GeLeTo_ said:

Renderman shaders can be very complex (take a look at "Apodaca/Gritz Advanced RenderMan"), so I think converting them by hand should be enough, which isn't that complicated because the syntax is not that much different.

Thomas

If someone wants to convert a neat renderman shader to use it in his game, doing this by hand is OK. But if someone wants to preview content meant for offline rendering, converting all renderman shaders is not an option. I know these shaders can be very complex which may require using multiple passes (ala gl2). Which brings another question - Is support for automatic multipass planned for future RenderMonkey releases? This might not be so critical for GFFX, but with the limited number of program instructions that the 9700 supports I think this feature is important.

I think the question for RednerMonkey is - How many "gameing" shaders are available as RenderMan versions? I think not that many, most of them are simply too complex to be used in games. Quick prototyping in HLSL is much easier than in the old low level code path. So why would a game developer write a RenderMan shader first?

Despite these things, with VS/PS 3.0 hardware such an plugin is surely comming, if not from ATi then from someone else...

Thomas

Back