Destiny [PS3,X360,PS4,XO]

Edit: I guess we do get to play according to gaffers. One guy is playing on Xbox One. Says it looks and runs great at 900P

I was about to throw myself out the window when I read we could start playing right now. I'm over here waiting till tomorrow when we could play it right now. :oops:

Thanks to Al, I also have the beta on the X360. It's in process of downloading there. I think the XOne finished downloading since I started that one much earlier.

GAF is reporting that PS4 frame pacing is fixed or dramatically reduced. No concrete proof just yet. I played 2 Devil Lair rushes today, and it looked smooth, but I found out about frame pacing news after it...

I'll trade a One code for a 360 code, I guess. Or two for two...

Edit: Now one "One" code looking for a 360 code to trade for...

Played on One

So far in five minutes in a dungeon area, the graphics are a bit underwhelming compared to videos. Not something I really wouldn't think could be on 360 (but when I try the 360 beta when it finishes dling I'm sure that'll be a lot worse). I'm expecting more from outdoor areas.

And it's a LOT like Halo, your tour guide guy is exactly like guilty spark!

Game does look deep though.

Played the 1st level training. Felt like Halo, but didn't look or sound like it. Will start the rest tomorrow evening. On 360 BTW.

Tommy McClain

Shhh.... ;)

I imagine it works with the PS4 touch pad :?: I was on PS3 btw.

No, analog stick cursor control for me on PS4 as well. Maybe there's a setting, but by default, the touchpad isn't enabled. Wasted opportunity there, but typical for a multi-platform release like this. Who knows they get it sorted before the beta is over. ;) Gyro cursor control would be nice too.

No, analog stick cursor control for me on PS4 as well. Maybe there's a setting, but by default, the touchpad isn't enabled. Wasted opportunity there, but typical for a multi-platform release like this. Who knows they get it sorted before the beta is over. ;) Gyro cursor control would be nice too.

Weird. Kinda figured the whole point of the cursor was for the touchpad (or Move/Kinect :p). After Diablo 3's console UI implementation, this just feels inefficient. :s

Not at all, the UI is incredibly streamlined. The touchpad as another option wouldn't be any faster. Would be cool if they add it in though.

The presentation might be streamlined, but using the joystick as a cursor is slower than typical console implementations. A lot of times I'm even missing the selection box because I'm just not that accurate (overshooting) or the box is too small (like in the character edit screen).

Basically, why do I need accuracy for the UI :?:

UI is really nice, but I would implement one change. During gameplay, pressing the touchpad brings "summon vehicle" and "Go to Orbit" options. Bungie needs to add "Travel to Tower" there.

UI is really nice, but I would implement one change. During gameplay, pressing the touchpad brings "summon vehicle" and "Go to Orbit" options. Bungie needs to add "Travel to Tower" there.

That would be a nice option.

Also being able to map some consumable items or weapons to either the D-Pad or touchpad swipe directions would be nice. The D-Pad dedicated entirely to emotes is a waste for someone like me.

And I wish they would stop resetting Heavy Weapon ammo every time I launch to an area. That's quite annoying, and the Heavy Weapon consumable refill item is expensive.

Agree that the mouse cursor is annoying, perhaps it's an intentional thing to slow the user down while assetts load or network syncing happens?

I think the FMV loading screens are a wasted opportunity for better immersion. Instead of taking control away and showing the same canned video every time there should be a space flight minigame where you dock or blow a path through asteroids and get some sort of small bonus. Make it auto-pilot by default (no bonus) but if you start wiggling the sticks it becomes manual control with a small bonus of ammo or something like that.

Cheers

And I wish they would stop resetting Heavy Weapon ammo every time I launch to an area. That's quite annoying, and the Heavy Weapon consumable refill item is expensive.

As long as very few people buy it, maybe they'll consider rebalancing. ;)

Predictably was a lot more impressed with the first outdoor area. Quite beautiful. 900P looks great, and very sharp (not just me saying it, lots of gaffers, and many want Bungie to leave it at 900P and make sure framerate is perfect instead, although dont get me wrong framerate on X1 is said to be very good, possibly better than PS4, personally I cant tell framerates much as long as we aren't talking 20). Wonder how much difference 1080P will make. Sadly in 1.5 months I'm sure I wont be able to tell from memory.

This is my first experience with a 900P game on Bone. I had Ghosts, BF4, and KI before at 720, and Forza at 1080, so I was really curious to see how 900 fares in person, and I must say it exceeded my expectation. But perhaps it's partly this individual game (art and color palette etc etc) that helps it look good and other games may vary.

The game is very very halo-ish though. Some of the enemy chatter even sound like grunts uncannily so. The enemies seem like forerunner models too. Funny since Bungie made so much noise about wanting to do something besides Halo :LOL: I'm a bit surprised, they almost could be accused of re-using Halo assets!

But yeah outside is very pretty and almost made my jaw drop. I could feel that (alleged) $500 million budget. Great things are ahead when people start really using GCN (Sebbi particles shoutout) and making current gen only games.

I have 360 beta too. Interestingly they wont let you play both at once (so, no back and forth comparison for me let alone side by side), I guess gamertag is tied to bungie account etc etc, and I think checkpoints and progress, characters etc transfers too. A bit odd. It's basically as if you are playing the EXACT SAME GAME on any platform. I could play a bit on One, then pick up at the same spot and progress a little more on 360, then back to One and my progress from 360 is saved on One, etc. At least that's how it works as far as I can tell.

The 360 version at a glance looked kind of similar, but really after a while you see it's kind of run through a mud filter. Or a blurry eyeglasses filter perhaps. It's much much less sharp and the lighting seems downgraded as well. The net effect of the 360 downgrades adds up to almost more than the some of it's parts, so that you realize you are definitely playing on last gen. Probably something that wont show up as well on screenshots and youtubes. It's like a faded imitation of the real thing. But seems pretty nice for a 360 game, a bit surprising given how much disdain I had for Bungie graphics coders after 343i schooled them on 360.

Some of the enemy chatter even sound like grunts uncannily so.
I was about to object, but then I remembered that it's been a very long time since grunts sounded even remotely like what I think of as "sounding like grunts."

I have no sense whatsoever for the vocal identity of Destiny's enemies. :???:

Back