Dell 8300 3.06GHz Northwood - motherboard

Windfire

Regular
I've got a Dell 8300 w/ 3.06GHz Northwood. I've upgraded the power supply to a nice 480 watt.

I'm planning to replace my ATI 9800 NP with a new 6800 GT but I realized I might not have the best air flow. I'll probably mod the case to remedy that.

However, if I decided to move to a nice 3rd part case I have a couple questions...

1 - Has anyone succeeded in pairing a Dell motherboard with a industry standard case? Assuming it is ATX (it might not be) my biggest concern is the case connectors--Dell seems to have a proprietary connector.

2 - If I ditched Dell's motherboard, what would be a good low/moderarly expensive motherboard that gives me AGP 8x, support for my CPU, SATA, etc?

Keep the case and the mobo - Dell stuff is very high quality and stability. If you need more airflow you can replace the exhaust fan, and/or cut a blowhole in the side panel over the videocard area.

Wait! Windfire, how did you even upgrade your powersupply? My Dell Dimension 8300 case makes it so I cant upgrade to a new psu. where did you get your 480 watt psu, and how much was it? and did you have to do any case drilling?

Also, its up to you, but your 9800 np is still pretty good for a while.

Swordfish said:
Wait! Windfire, how did you even upgrade your powersupply? My Dell Dimension 8300 case makes it so I cant upgrade to a new psu. where did you get your 480 watt psu, and how much was it? and did you have to do any case drilling?

Also, its up to you, but your 9800 np is still pretty good for a while.

Hi. I got the TruePower 480. I actualy had to modify the back of the case to allow the power supply to fit--otherwise it fit fine. And thankfully Dell uses standard power connectors on their motherboard. It works great!

The modification required I completley remove the motherboard and hardware as there were metal shavings and such to modify the case.

Yes, the ATI 9800 NP was a great card--I sold it to a friend for $100. I was always very happy with it.

I think I've talked myself into modifying the case and adding a fan or two. I just really dislike the clamshell approach.

If I do go with a new case/motherboard, I would consider the following case:

ANTEC ALUMINUM SERIES SUPER LAN BOY MINI TOWER CASE with Clear Side Acrylic Window and FREE Case Carrying Strap
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=11-129-145&DEPA=1

Swordfish said:
what tool did you use?

I removed the existing power-supply (easily) when I found the back of the case didn't work with the back-end of the new PSU. The problem was that the metal partially back covered the ports on the back of the new PSU.

I then removed the motherboard (cards, etc.) and used a hack-saw to increase the hole size. It was pretty simple. I removed the motherboard to remove the chance of a metal shaving doing harm.

Thankfully Dell's Intel motherboard used a standard PSU connection for power.

The new Antec True 480 works great and I have no concerns with power issues now. :)

My next mod is to add a new case fan to the side of the case--pointing directly at the AGP slot. I have a plan and will be doing that this weekend. My only question is whether I'll blow air in or pull it out. The fan will likely be only 1/2" above the card so I know I'll get good air flow for the 6800 GT.

Later,
Steve (Windfire)

I've installed a new 3" case fan (80mm) to the side of the case that pushes external air directly on top of the AGP slot!

A little extra noise (34db) but now I know I have exceptionally good air movement over the video card. :) Now I'm ready for my 6800GT.

I used a 3" hole saw to create the external hole. It worked great.

Dell cases are made to suck in air from the front end and blow it out the back, if you have additional fans that suck out air you'll create underpressure inside the case which will cause the CPU/PSU fan strength to diminish (bad). Blowing air into the case is not nearly as bad as that will raise pressure and help the exhaust fans. :)

Often you don't need gigantic airflow to create a substantial temperature decrease, so a slow-spinning fan can do wonders for your vidcard... :)

Guden Oden said:
Dell cases are made to suck in air from the front end and blow it out the back...

Often you don't need gigantic airflow to create a substantial temperature decrease, so a slow-spinning fan can do wonders for your vidcard... :)

Yeah, I setup the fan for low 1700rpm operation (20db) instead of the default 3000rpm (34db). I figure that extra amount of air flow will be plenty enough.

Dell makes nice stuff (good components) but I really dislike the clamshell case.

Back