Current state of Download Bandwidth Limits? *spawn*

In France, Switerzland and Luxembourg no data caps for land lines. And one operator do unlimited data in Switzerland for mobile contracts...

Last edited:
France here. fiber to the home, 1Gb/sec down, 250Mb/sec up, approx. 40 euro per month. No data cap. Pretty nice, and Orange peering is good. Not "great", but good.

Oh, on mobile we have 4 phones on the Sprint family plan for $50/mos each. Unlimited data with no speed restrictions and like 1,500 minutes of talk that we never use. (We don't really talk on our phones, we text/line/message each other more)

I'm actually quite pleased with Sprint about that. I haven't found any other carrier around me that actually has unlimited full speed data, and it's what me and mine abuse most. Plus we get a new phone every 2 years for extra cheap, so win/win. :)

The other day I bought Gears 4 and Forza horizon 3. The downloads on the PC were massive as were the Xbox version.
Let me rant about something similar
A friend bought his son a xb1 and fifa 17
He had to bring it to my house because you cant use the xb1 if you dont have an internet connection.
After a ton of messing about i finally got to install fifa 17 from the disc and the xb1 downloaded 40gb, since the game only takes up 40gb of space on the hdd what the hell is on the game disc?
ps: he also got 1 month free trial of xbox live gold except he didnt as it's only free to people with credit cards.

Let me rant about something similar
A friend bought his son a xb1 and fifa 17
He had to bring it to my house because you cant use the xb1 if you dont have an internet connection.
After a ton of messing about i finally got to install fifa 17 from the disc and the xb1 downloaded 40gb, since the game only takes up 40gb of space on the hdd what the hell is on the game disc?
ps: he also got 1 month free trial of xbox live gold except he didnt as it's only free to people with credit cards.

you can use X1 without internet. its also the workaround to force X1 to install from disc instead of automatically deciding from internet/disc.

at least thats from what i read on reddit

All Settings -> Network -> Network Settings -> Go Offline

All Settings -> Account -> Payment & Billing -> Add a payment option

Works with Credit/Debit cards, PayPal or Mobile Phone(Sprint in the U.S)

For the past 8+ years I've only used PayPal & I don't have credit card. I've used free 1 month codes before, but lately they're only available for new subscribers.

I find it funny that new Xbox users that frequent this forum, don't come here for help from the other frequent users. Would save you a lot of grief.

Tommy McClain

Would save you a lot of grief.
"and the xb1 downloaded 40gb" I assume that means the game had to download a patch before it was able to be played.
thats how these things work nowadays aint it? I was talking to a dude a while ago, went to the shop to get fallout 4 at midnight (they opened the shop especially for the midnight launch), he takes it home, installs it but of course the first thing the game wanted to do before you could play it was go online and install a patch, the sun was nearly coming up before he could actually play it. :D

That's where installing the game when offline will allow you to bypass that first title update. With a bit of searching it looks like both PS4 & XB1 both required a Day 1 update. Seen reports that on launch day it was a couple of gigs, but now there have been at least 2 more updates. I've seen reports that sometimes XB1 users will be required to download the full game instead of doing multiple incremental updates. Either way this is where having a disc version is nice because you can install the whole game in offline mode & then you'll only need to download the incremental update. Those going digital are better off pre-ordering before launch so they can pre-download it & if you're an EA Access you can play they're titles a week early.

Tommy McClain

Or if ISP's would stop their medieval practices of data caps or crappy networks with slow speed you'd just download the whole game in 15 minutes or less.

Nope, on ps you will get a pop up asking to play without update or wait.

If play without update you will get yet another popup saying online play unavailable

Those are different from bank accounts?
No, they're just standard names for 2 different types of bank accounts.

Speaking of bandwidth.... love Steam. Oh I want to play something, it's 40Gb. It's ok, I can wait 25 minutes.

steam download.JPG

Downloads are now faster on the XB1:

We’ve made several optimizations to game and app downloads on Xbox One:

• Customers with high-speed connections (greater than 100Mbps) should experience up to 80% faster download speeds.
  • Customers with connections less than 100Mbps should experience more consistent performance that is up to 40% faster than before.
  • Additional optimizations have also made background downloads more resilient to intermittent connectivity issues.

Download speeds will be influenced by network contention within the home and at the ISP level. Download speeds will also be impacted when games are running on the console as system resources are prioritized for gameplay over background downloads.

Now you can burn through your caps even faster! lol

Tommy McClain

Its very sporadic. I've had the update since the 10th and on Friday none of my Xbox One downloads were faster, they were I n average 75Mb/s with peaks into 90Mb/s. However on Saturday the Xbox One downloads were averaging 150 Mb/s. Still not great on a 300Mb/s line where my file server can sustain 290 Mb/s for days on end, but drastically improved for the game console.

Its very sporadic. I've had the update since the 10th and on Friday none of my Xbox One downloads were faster, they were I n average 75Mb/s with peaks into 90Mb/s. However on Saturday the Xbox One downloads were averaging 150 Mb/s. Still not great on a 300Mb/s line where my file server can sustain 290 Mb/s for days on end, but drastically improved for the game console.

File server ehh, sounds very enticing. Not that I have 300Mb/s to saturate but hey ho.

I noticed I was at over 75% max utilisation on the last download last night although it tailed off at the end indicating it's using multiple chunks to achieve this speed.

Back