Current state of Download Bandwidth Limits? *spawn*

Many ISPs use traffic shaping so they can artificially throttle streaming sites and Netflix works by adapting to variable network conditions by lowering (and raising) the stream's bitrate. The ISP's aim is to lower traffic and the result the user can watch more content albeit at lower bitrates. This is part of the net neutrality debate.

Yah, my isp doesn't throttle netflix. But if they did, there's be even less of a reason to buy a 4k tv or rely on streaming for UHD content.

Many ISPs use traffic shaping so they can artificially throttle streaming sites and Netflix works by adapting to variable network conditions by lowering (and raising) the stream's bitrate. The ISP's aim is to lower traffic and the result the user can watch more content albeit at lower bitrates. This is part of the net neutrality debate.

Which then becomes a potential issue if the only method to watch UHD content is via streaming.

I still believe fully digital is the way to go, but I can see where this could be an issue in certain parts of the world.

Regards,
SB

No wired broadband subscriptions have data limits in Finland.

In big cities it is impossible to find anything slower than 8 mbit/s down, 1 mbit/s up (ADSL). Some mobile 3G/4G subscriptions have data limits, but every company seems to have unlimited option available for extra price.

Cheapest 100 mbit down / 10 mbit up (unlimited) wired broadband connections cost 19.90 euros/month in Helsinki area. So we are pretty well equipped to handle 4K streaming. None of my friends buy blu-rays anymore.

I was very annoyed when I found out that there are such great differences in the Nordics, and that Sweden has the worst pick. Telia is operating in all the countries and the best you can get in Sweden is 40GB (20-60mbit) for 349 SEK, whereas the danes can get 500GB for 399 DKK and you finns get unlimited!

Wow, that's so low. UHD BD utterly destroys that while using same efficient H265 HEVC codec.
All sorts of quality corners are cut. The real point of 4K streaming is that is delivers better quality than 1080p streaming, I've never seen any 1080p (or 4K) stream that even comes close to a high bitrate Blu-ray. Standard Blu-ray, not UHD; sound usually suffers the most.

But streaming is a convenience over quality. Does it matter? Probably to not the average man in the street judging by the popularity of Netflix.

I just looked a bit online [in some shadier places], and H265 version of the movie Men in Black 1 that is offered on Sony's "Movie Unlimited" 4K streaming service has the average video bitrate of 152mbps [entire movie is 111.58GB]! That's a untouched webrip, no touching of audio/video streams. Fury is 116GB [also h265].

Now that's a quality streaming service! :D

Also, these file sizes are probably the reasons why early customers of 4K players from Sony got movies preloaded on players HDD.

Which makes the push towards video stream services for the professional consumer even more surprising.

I just looked a bit online [in some shadier places], and H265 version of the movie Men in Black 1 that is offered on Sony's "Movie Unlimited" 4K streaming service has the average video bitrate of 152mbps [entire movie is 111.58GB]!
Holy cr@pballs!

Which makes the push towards video stream services for the professional consumer even more surprising.
Some marketing people are crying that you did not use 'prosumer'

Holy cr@pballs!

Some marketing people are crying that you did not use 'prosumer'

I can't even imagine that as a streaming service. Just watching a movie twice will nearly blow out most users monthly bandwidth limits! I hope that it downloads the movie first and does local playback for all viewings. Although I don't think I'd use it as a 'streaming service' but more as a purchase service.

As for the term usage it's called PS4 Professional not PS4 Prosumer so it's easier to keep that parallel with Professional to Professional... ;)

20 Euros for 100/10 unlimited? I wish.
Faster than 10 mbit upload however costs a lot more. Basically you have to buy a business connection.

Our two men company's 50 mbit upload (100 mbit down) business connection costs 85 euros per month. It is fiber based and capable up to 1000 mbit up + down (if we need to increase the speed down the road). Speed test results are super consistent. Worst result I have got was 97 mbit down, 48 mbit up. It has bandwidth guarantee (80% lowest peak up/down) + fast repair guarantee. On the first day when they hadn't yet configured the BW limiter, I got 950+ mbit up, 950+ mbit down in speedtest.net, so it clearly scales up if needed... But I am scared to even ask how much 1000 mbit bidirectional costs :)

I don't want to brag but 40 Gbps at work. None of which can be utilised for personal use. :nope:

/brag

I can't even imagine that as a streaming service. Just watching a movie twice will nearly blow out most users monthly bandwidth limits! I hope that it downloads the movie first and does local playback for all viewings.

Yes, I think that is the case. Live streaming of that is not feasible for majority of users.

With Optimum I get 100 Mbit/35Mbit with no limit for $50 (as part of a package with cable and phone service). Optimum has always been pretty consumer-friendly relative to the other cable ISPs. I'm a little worried now that they have been bought by Altice, though, that that might change.

I just looked a bit online [in some shadier places], and H265 version of the movie Men in Black 1 that is offered on Sony's "Movie Unlimited" 4K streaming service has the average video bitrate of 152mbps [entire movie is 111.58GB]! That's a untouched webrip, no touching of audio/video streams. Fury is 116GB [also h265].

Now that's a quality streaming service! :D

Also, these file sizes are probably the reasons why early customers of 4K players from Sony got movies preloaded on players HDD.

Did some more reading and Netflix UHD is around 18-20 megabits per second, but they recommend a 25 Mbps connection. That's well below UHD Blu Ray and absolutely way below that Movie Unlimited service. I wonder why they made it so much higher than UHD Blu Ray?

Just like other forumers, bandwidth is not an issue here either, no matter the price, only 4G routers that you can connect on the go have a limit, and of course the data for mobile phones.

20 Euros for 100/10 unlimited? I wish.

As far as I know, that's the discounted rate for the first year on a new two year contract. Still it's 29.90€ for the second year, so not too bad. It's for the houses that have the fibre connection. My house has that, but the inner wires in the house can't support those speeds, so I need to use cable to get that speed, and it's a bit more expensive at 39.9€. Next year we have a major plumbing repair in our building and the inner logic gets upgraded too and I should be able to enjoy lower prices too :)

I was very annoyed when I found out that there are such great differences in the Nordics, and that Sweden has the worst pick. Telia is operating in all the countries and the best you can get in Sweden is 40GB (20-60mbit) for 349 SEK, whereas the danes can get 500GB for 399 DKK and you finns get unlimited!
I thought Sweden has the cheapest broadband in Nordics, since you got fast consumer connections first (at least some guys I knew in Stockholm area had 10 mbit bidirectional much sooner than we had). Good to know that the situation has changed (in 10+ years).

We didn't have any data limits in mobile (phone) broadband a few years ago either, but now all cheap 3G/4G mobile broadband agreements have limited data. Fortunately we still have unlimited mobile plans available. But mobile broadband is quite unreliable. You never reach the marketed speed. I just ran speedtest.net for my "100 mbit/s" corporate mobile broadband (on my phone), and it shows just 21 mbit/s up, 3 mbit/s down.

Limited data mobile phone broadband (at "100 mbit/s") is quite cheap there. Pricing example (MoiMobiili): 1.5 euros/month for each 1 GB of data (minimum price 6 euros = 4 GB). 12 euros/month for unlimited (at the same marketed "100 mbit/s"). Unlimited talking is 10 euros/month (+SMS some extra). No other costs. I believe the government has spend so much money in mobile broadband infrastructure here, because Nokia was Finland's biggest company for very long time, and at one point also the most valued company in the whole Europe. Now Nokia (mobile phones) is dead, so we have to see where things are going :(

Back