Crazy (arguably stupid) new rig

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by Mize, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

AFAIK, motherboard sensors vary from one to the next and are, therefore, spec'd by the manufacturer - e.g. Apple. Sensors on board DIMMs, CPUs, etc. also need motherboard support to be accessible anywhere other than on the device. For example a GPU or CPU can throttle whether the MB cares or not. Most of us have had motherboards that couldn't read all the sensors, etc.

digitalwanderer likes this.
  2. Silent_Buddha

Legend

LoL, when I first looked at that screenshot, I thought that "Fans" was a column header and was wondering how/why Apple managed to put a tiny fan on each individual CPU core. :D

Regards,
    SB

3. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

I've only seen one single "enthusiast" type DIMM with integrated thermal sensors on it; there might well be more, I haven't researched this thoroughly, but they don't seem to be common. My g.skill dimms don't have thermal sensors for example.

Apple typically uses registered and/or ECC DIMMs in their Mac Pros from what I've seen (seeing as they also use xeon CPUs this would make sense), so if enterprise dimms come with thermal monitoring, that's probably (speculation alert!) where the temp inputs are coming from... Good observation! :D

4. gamervivek

Regular Newcomer

I've 2800Mhz and 3000Mhz kits which have sensors, at least that's what HWInfo tells me. Standard gskill ripjaws V. If apple has software that utilizes these temperatures to keep chips cool then that's great, otherwise I don't hardware manufacturers are going to bother with two separate manufacturing procedures.