cpu speed increase slowing down?

malcolm

Newcomer
Intel just released the 3.06ghz in q4 2002 and is planning to release the 3.6ghz in q4 2003.
Thats a year for 20percent increase, if it doesnt speed up it will take more than 3 years to double the speed.
Didnt it used to be 18-24 months to double?
Or maybe this is just a slow year coming?
Im hoping it speeds up again when they start with 0.09µ.

Chances are they're not going to speed up much (at least with current anouncment) till they can figure out what the Hammer will do in the market. I'm sure Intel has more headroom for increasing the P4 clock than their letting on.

I just spent an hour looking for an article I read two days ago addressing your Statement concerning clockspeed. I didnt want to say to much without some qualified backup (the article).
The article states that there isnt much headroom left in the P4 design without getting into Heat concerns. This may be one reason you percieve a slowdown in clock speeds.
As Malcom states, going to a smaller manufacturing process of 0.09 microns would reduce heat and allow for higher clockspeeds as well.
This may be the only way they can acheive more performance out of the P4 design.
Theres an article over at Igeek that might give some insight as to why certain chip designs have only so much clockspeed headroom. Its interesting in itself (imho). Click the URL below.
http://www.igeek.com/?pathToFile=/articles/Hardware/Processors/&file=RISCorCISC.txt&article=1
This article is not the one I made reference to in the begining. Its just an Article I thot you might find interesting.

Back