CPU Security Flaws MELTDOWN and SPECTRE

Discussion in 'PC Industry' started by Bondrewd, Jan 2, 2018.

1. pharma

Veteran Regular

Asus has been somewhat slow with the patches, though Station-Drivers does show quite a few released this week.
    With the Github Meltdown release they are "under the gun", or should feel they are!

Grall likes this.
  2. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Depending on your OS and CPU you might already have the CPU microcode distributed via OS update

3. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Holy shit, they didn't post updates until this week?! Bloody hell, they deserve to be fined for being so slow.

Hm, you sure windows updates can change CPU microcode? If we'd be talking about MacOS I wouldn't be doubting you, but surely microcode is stored in the UEFI, and that's mobo proprietary stuff - unless there's a common interface in the UEFI standard to do CPU microcode updates from windows?

4. CSI PC

Veteran Newcomer

Microsoft has been releasing KB patches for Meltdown (repeatedly in some cases as it has caused other headaches), separately (Spectre orientated) some of the microcode updates I thought were also integrated into Microsoft updates but in a specific way and for specific OS platform:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4090007/intel-microcode-updates
    https://thewincentral.com/microsoft...eltdown-fixing-firmware-update-download-link/

It always seems a moving target between what Microsoft and Intel and motherboard manufacturers are doing and difficult to stay up with it all IMO.

#304 CSI PC, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  5. Babel-17

Regular

I have an ASUS H170-Pro mobo and ASUS finally released a non-beta BIOS update a few weeks ago, and then another one right after that.
    https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/H170-PRO/HelpDesk_BIOS/

6. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I updated my wife's Z97 ASRock BIOS last night with microcode patch. The BIOS was from mid-march, with the previous one from 2016.

7. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Microsoft is currently shipping the microcodes for Haswell and newer as Windows Updates

Grall likes this.
  8. pharma

Veteran Regular

Follow-up to state that a Rampage Extreme V "beta" bios is now available at Asus support. Possibly others for X99 motherboards.

9. pharma

Veteran Regular

Eight new Spectre Variant Vulnerabilities for Intel Discovered - four of them critical
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ei...r-intel-discovered-four-of-them-critical.html

Lightman likes this.
  10. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Not sure where I read it, but despite named "Spectre-ng", they're supposedly Meltdown-related which is why they're not affecting AMD but do affect Intel and some ARM-cores

Lightman likes this.
  11. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Fuck.

Hopefully this won't mean another kick in the nuts performance-wise.

Personally I'm starting to get a little bit pissed I spent a thousand bucks on a CPU only half a year ago roughly that's turning out to be a complete shambles security-wise, and has already lost a lot of performance.

12. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

You could probably sell it, get an equivalent performance AMD for cheaper and make a profit.

13. pharma

Veteran Regular

Don't know if anything is gained since AMD is affected by Spectre and is subject to performance related issues.
    pg 24
    https://seekingalpha.com/filing/4005344?uprof=82

14. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Hm? I haven't seen any benchmarks showing Ryzen losing any performance from Spectre-patches, microcode included or not. And based on current info the new set of vulnerabilities doesn't affect AMD

BRiT likes this.
  15. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Find a buyer for CPU and mobo, tear down my entire PC, buy new hardware, rebuild it from scratch? No thanks... Too much work for a guy with my depression-induced inhibitions. :p From my perspective, I only just built this fucking thing.

I would accept a new socket-compatible CPU slug from Intel which has been fixed of errata though. I'm thinking there's a good case for forcing Intel to just replace peoples' already purchased product, especially with the performance loss we've already incurred and maybe further loss from this new latest shit. And who says it ends there?

16. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

Is that based on anything other than a spurious lawsuit which there are likely dozens after the release of the vulnerability info?

17. pharma

Veteran Regular

18. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

Putas likes this.
  19. pharma

Veteran Regular

Read the whole article and supporting benchmarks which show slight degradation for both Intel and AMD. The lag is felt on both Intel or AMD cpu's.

Their conclusion for both Intel and AMD processors was:

20. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Why is it that switching between kernel and user mode has such a heavy performance impact anyway? From what I seem to recall reading, it involves flushing all registers/caches, but why do that if it means stalling the CPU for thousands of cycles each time? Couldn't - for example - metadata be added to cache lines to mark them as user/kernel and making them inaccessible unless in the correct mode, and thus let them stay in cache unless evicted normally, so that mode switching doesn't have such a huge penalty?

I'm sure there's good reasons for everything, but I thought I might as well ask... :D