Could Dreamcast et al handle this/that game/effect? *DC tech retrospective *spawn

Compared to what?
You said PS2 was a beast without any base comparison. Why can't DC be compared the same way?

Besides which sonicfans' comment is clearly using people's current understanding of DC as the baseline. "...how how much of a beast DC truly is!" So compared to itself and what was released on it in its truncated lifetime. We have the ongoing developments showing DC had a lot of untapped potential.

Last edited:
You said PS2 was a beast without any base comparison. Why can't DC be compared the same way?

Because we're talking about two very different things.

"Watched that a few days ago, it was an interesting beast architecturally"

Where as sonicfan appears to talking about performance, not architecturally.

Because we're talking about two very different things.

"Watched that a few days ago, it was an interesting beast architecturally"

Where as sonicfan appears to talking about performance, not architecturally.
'Beast' is too vague a term to be arguing over. What does "architectural beast" mean? Besides which this is a DC thread. ;)

Besides which sonicfans' comment is clearly using people's current understanding of DC as the baseline. "...how how much of a beast DC truly is!" So compared to itself and what was released on it in its truncated lifetime. We have the ongoing developments showing DC had a lot of untapped potential.
That's exactly what i meant! Thank you! Idk why for some reason only DC has to recreate every detail of every game from the 6th gen when even ps2 never lived up to that standard compared to xbox/gamecube software a good amount of the time. DC, PS2, XBOX, and GC all looked great in their own respects, and every game on either system could be recreated on either of them with nips and tucks in certain places to make them work.

DC had the most powerful and sophisticated consumer GPU when it first appeared, and its CPU was the fastest at 3D / Vector processing (and while using less power than my MMX enabled Pentium 2!). Sega were actually involved in the development of the SH4, and the PowerVR2DC GPU was built to a list of demanding Sega requirements. The Neon 250, which came later, was significantly cut down.

If that doesn't allow you to call it both an architectural and performance beast (and rather custom by PS5/Series standards), I don't know what would.

I was a big fan of the Ridge racer series at the time, i was so jealous when Namco released a PC version with the powerVR cards of Rave Racer

According to wiki Rave Racer was cancelled, are you maybe either thinking it was released or confusing it with Ultim@te Race Pro which was originally a powervr exclusive bundled with the cards, (later it was released supporting 3dfx cards as well)
1717972940844.png

Last edited:
I never realized that SH3 had it's own implementation of bump mapping on PS2 and I played the game a ton of times

I have vague memories of marconelly! discussing bump mapping on PS2. Might be worth a look perusing those old threads.

Last edited:
I have vague memories of marconelly! discussing bump mapping on PS2. Might be worth a look perusing those old threads.
Yeah, they've done tricks before to achieve a bunpmapped look on a couple of games. Path of neo, and malice stabd out as ones i recall

The Matrox g400 was released in 1999 it supported Environment Mapped Bump Mapping.
and the Geforce 256 also 1999 supported Dot3 Bump Mapping

According to wiki Rave Racer was cancelled, are you maybe either thinking it was released or confusing it with Ultim@te Race Pro which was originally a powervr exclusive bundled with the cards, (later it was released supporting 3dfx cards as well)
View attachment 11438
i thought it was released, anyway i got my "Rave Racer" thanks to ridge racer 2 PSP many years later !

Back