Could Dreamcast et al handle this/that game/effect? *DC tech retrospective *spawn

I was also impressed when it was released. But retrospective observation can also reveal what we couldn't see back then. The DC's premature death, improvements made in Shenmue 2, comparisons with other games of that generation, knowing more about Shenmue's development and observing these graphical experiments are pretty telling about where the DC might have headed and what Shenmue could have been under different circumstances

Besides tech since the lack of support it didn't get the art styles that game with the different companies that worked on PS2 full-time as opposed to low end or one off projects ( square, Konami, namco, koei.) Look at this . The first stage of silent hill 2 looks quite nice even with the missing effects/filters. Just goes to show how important art is and varying degree is company puts it to use. Sh2 was what ? 2001 release like shenmue 2?

Besides tech since the lack of support it didn't get the art styles that game with the different companies that worked on PS2 full-time as opposed to low end or one off projects ( square, Konami, namco, koei.) Look at this . The first stage of silent hill 2 looks quite nice even with the missing effects/filters. Just goes to show how important art is and varying degree is company puts it to use. Sh2 was what ? 2001 release like shenmue 2?

Yeah to some extend, a lot of things on PS2 are doable on DC. Where the DC though would have probably had a problem, are heavy effects that require a lot of processing, like physics, particles and simulations. SH2's fog is definitely non replicable on DC. The dynamic shadows very likely too.

Yeah to some extend, a lot of things on PS2 are doable on DC. Where the DC though would have probably had a problem, are heavy effects that require a lot of processing, like physics, particles and simulations. SH2's fog is definitely non replicable on DC. The dynamic shadows very likely too.
I think it would work with its hardware fog. It wouldn't look exactly the same, but i think it would work. The shadows would work with hardware shadow volumes, too. They just would be very sharp, but you never know. As far as particles/sims/physics, i think they wouldn't be exactly the same, but it would work if approached the right way. Maybe some dips in fps when applied, but it wouldn't be too bad, haha

I think it would work with its hardware fog. It wouldn't look exactly the same, but i think it would work. The shadows would work with hardware shadow volumes, too. They just would be very sharp, but you never know. As far as particles/sims/physics, i think they wouldn't be exactly the same, but it would work if approached the right way. Maybe some dips in fps when applied, but it wouldn't be too bad, haha
Silent Hill 2's fog is a combination of particles and alpha heavy transparencies which also responds to James movement and camera direction. That particular type of fog was specific to the capabilities of the PS2 which had huge amounts of fill rate. Not even the powerful XBOX could replicate it and it looked unconvincing and pretty much boring.

It definitely wouldn't look the same on the DC either. It would have been completely different altogether yes.

Not sure what devs could do to replicate a similar effect tailored to the DC's capabilities and how it would look.

But it is an interesting question.

Another interesting question is, how would DC handle shadows and shadow casting in dark areas? SH2's shadow system was designed around PS2's capabilities and even that didn't look the same on XBOX which had hardware support. That's another area where the DC wouldn't be able to match and not sure even if it has the capabilities to do it or at least do something that is close enough.

Silent Hill 2's fog is a combination of particles and alpha heavy transparencies which also responds to James movement and camera direction. That particular type of fog was specific to the capabilities of the PS2 which had huge amounts of fill rate. Not even the powerful XBOX could replicate it and it looked unconvincing and pretty much boring.

It definitely wouldn't look the same on the DC either. It would have been completely different altogether yes.

Not sure what devs could do to replicate a similar effect tailored to the DC's capabilities and how it would look.

But it is an interesting question.

Another interesting question is, how would DC handle shadows and shadow casting in dark areas? SH2's shadow system was designed around PS2's capabilities and even that didn't look the same on XBOX which had hardware support. That's another area where the DC wouldn't be able to match and not sure even if it has the capabilities to do it or at least do something that is close enough.
Yeah, i know about the fillrate, that's why i said it wouldn't look the same. Though the DC's fog hardware would still look really good! It would probably still have some particle fog, just not so aggressive, or maybe an animated overlay. Since DC had the hardware shadow volumes, I'm sure they'd use that for the indoor flashlight stuff. It would be really sharp and not soft, but it would work.

these are good examples of hardware fog and shadows that would work!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240521_145028_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20240521_145028_YouTube.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240521_145233_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20240521_145233_YouTube.jpg
    781.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240521_145303_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20240521_145303_YouTube.jpg
    615.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240521_145357_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20240521_145357_YouTube.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240521_145403_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20240521_145403_YouTube.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 6
Of course such basic implementation for fog is doable. I think we did have games that had this kind of implementation. But that's as basic as it can get.

Regarding shadows, interesting to see it in action in an actual real game scenario with global implementation of the shadow system.

Of course such basic implementation for fog is doable. I think we did have games that had this kind of implementation. But that's as basic as it can get.

Regarding shadows, interesting to see it in action in an actual real game scenario with global implementation of the shadow system.
I don't think it was so basic. When i first saw it, it felt like generational leap in tge effect. It gave it a real tangible volume, imo. Headhunter, lemans, recv, etc all did it really well. As far as shadows that were used to a similar effect, the only thing i can think of is sonic adventure 2's jail bars, but I'm sure there's something else, haha

I don't think it was so basic. When i first saw it, it felt like generational leap in tge effect. It gave it a real tangible volume, imo. Headhunter, lemans, recv, etc all did it really well. As far as shadows that were used to a similar effect, the only thing i can think of is sonic adventure 2's jail bars, but I'm sure there's something else, haha
That kind of fog is a night and day difference between that and Silent Hill 2.

Well it would definitely look different since the DC uses per pixel fog/table fog. Someone on discord shared with me some debug shots of segas Rez debug of the fog. You can control density or fog up only distance or foreground or both. Even use it to make colored stripes on the scene that you wouldn't think it's the hardware doing it. So there's definitely more to it , maybe even unexplored effects. I don't think DC he fog is as basic as you think. Just very under utilized despite no affecting performance. There would probably no reason why not do a hybrid approach like sh2 but with less transparent layers mixed with the hw fog.

Also same person showed me a few gifs of more complex use of dreamcast volume modifiers for self shadowing of pretty much all animated models on screen. No particular reason shame shadow stuff as done on sh2 wouldn't be replicated here, I think the hold up is that while volume modifiers are hardware feature on the gpu you still need the CPU to do the math for volume meshes + light direction stuff it has to hand to the gpu to determine what's in or out the volume . But considering a 60 fps sports game did this and was a very late release ( 2001/2002 ) it was just a case of it was getting there before it died prematurely. Volume modifiers can change other parameters according to some docs like materials and even fog settings.

Rez fog debug example:
No fog:
20221210-151408.jpg

Regular fog mode:
20221210-150935.jpg

Using per pixel fog in an absurd way:
20221210-151833.jpg

Volume modifiers for self shadowing in motion:
Screen-Recording-20221201-201000-Samsung-Internet-1.gif

Screen-Recording-20221201-201457-Samsung-Internet-1.gif

Well it would definitely look different since the DC uses per pixel fog/table fog. Someone on discord shared with me some debug shots of segas Rez debug of the fog. You can control density or fog up only distance or foreground or both. Even use it to make colored stripes on the scene that you wouldn't think it's the hardware doing it. So there's definitely more to it , maybe even unexplored effects. I don't think DC he fog is as basic as you think. Just very under utilized despite no affecting performance. There would probably no reason why not do a hybrid approach like sh2 but with less transparent layers mixed with the hw fog.

Also same person showed me a few gifs of more complex use of dreamcast volume modifiers for self shadowing of pretty much all animated models on screen. No particular reason shame shadow stuff as done on sh2 wouldn't be replicated here, I think the hold up is that while volume modifiers are hardware feature on the gpu you still need the CPU to do the math for volume meshes + light direction stuff it has to hand to the gpu to determine what's in or out the volume . But considering a 60 fps sports game did this and was a very late release ( 2001/2002 ) it was just a case of it was getting there before it died prematurely. Volume modifiers can change other parameters according to some docs like materials and even fog settings.

Rez fog debug example:
No fog:
20221210-151408.jpg

Regular fog mode:
20221210-150935.jpg

20221210-151833.jpg

Does wsb 2k2 use fog for different weather like rain?

Rez fog debug example:
No fog:
20221210-151408.jpg

Regular fog mode:
20221210-150935.jpg

20221210-151833.jpg

Good to see these implementations. Just a note,I m not discussing DC's ability to have fog. I m sure I ve seen fog in DC games. What I m highlighting though are effects that rely on heavy use of particles, alphas, physics and simulations. DC could certainly have a version of SH2 with fog, but certainly a completely different look and implementation.

BY 1998 standards it was super powerful though, that's simply how it is. The only thing more powerful were the Model 3 boards which were thousands of dollars each and even then the DC had some advantages. It was a lot faster than my Pentium 2 400 and Voodoo 2 - at least in terms of graphics (the Pentium 2 would have been faster at some simulation and scripting stuff no doubt).

It's just that technology was moving at a breakneck pace and two years was a long time then.

Arguably no machine ever truly reaches it's full potential, but having such a short life and limited development support meant there was little to no time to experiment with more advanced techniques that the system allowed, and assets were being made with primitive tools by developers who were still learning how to make best use of all the extra capability they'd gotten over PS1. The amazing Shenmue 1/2 for example was a Saturn remake made without automated version control, and bug management was done manually using an excel spreadsheet. Most of the assets for Shenmue 1 and 2 were actually made before the DC launched in Japan, and the only use of bump mapping was a seemingly experimental hand made application on a coin you looked at in a menu.

(Side note, but there's a great Shenmue Yu Suzuki talk with Mark Cerny translating, the game being as mindblowing as it was at the time is due to an insane vision, talent and raw determination. Mark Cerny being friends with Yu Suzuki is the icing on the cake).

If PS2 had seen only limited support and died off around the end of 2002 it wouldn't be the legendary system it turned out to be. PS1 software came on loads over the years, as did PS2 software. Somehow slap bang in the middle of these Dreamcast software wouldn't? This isn't a DC vs PS2 thing, it's a development thing.

Its not just 2 years but 2 years and $100. So the ps2 had a big advantage.

Back