Cooking knife!

Captain Chickenpants said:
I didn't mean that in a argumentative way, I was just curious if there was a noticable difference between expensive European (Wusthof etc.) and expensive Japanese. You sounded like you may have some reservation about the European ones but not the Japanese as you mentioned European ones specifically.
The original OP was the one to mention expensive brands. I am just giving my experiences.

Oh, no, no, the Japanese have a great knifemaking tradition, but in the US and I presume Europe, most of their knives are too expensive. However, the cheaper Japanese knives are in my experience superior to US knives, and in China we can get even relatively expensive Japanese knives for a song. So, I really specified Japanese due to my preference for them here. I think it helps to have a little advice as there are a lot of shitty Chinese knives, but if you talk to someone in an oriental cooking store they should be able to help you pick out an outstanding knife for $20-30. Also, there are plenty of shapes available from the Chinese manufacturers; it's just that cleavers are very popular here.

No offense taken. ;) You guys seem to know a lot, I just... bleh, I can't bring myself to spend a lot on knives, the performance difference seems too trivial.

I can't bring myself to spend a lot on knives, the performance difference seems too trivial.
Yeah, I'm with ya. The point is, for a professional chef or "kitchen workhorse" it makes sense to spend 150-300 on a tool, that they use for 8-10h a day. IMHO for home cooking it's nice, but not really necessary ... except one is looking for a life-time friend or something with a bit more bragging value ;)

While I'd love a nice set of knives, I've found that this is the best $7.00 I ever spent on a knife. I've had it for ~2 years and tomatoes still pose no problems, I just hit it with a steel before I use it. I haven't even thought of having it sharpened. In fact, I might just order another in case they stop selling them.:cool:

Well.. um.. I like... Uh... am not really cooking now.. like I'm not at that age now... or like I don't need to... ehm... like... my mother..

yeah so...

Well the plan is to get one knife that lasts for the rest of my life yeah, I thought that'd be cool.

But now you say a chef's knife might be too big? Which is what I always thought though, but so now I might instead buy... two knives!

The thing is.. When summer comes I plan to get more serious with training and then this low-fat, low-energy vegetarian food my mother always cooks, I don't think it suits me. I'm gonna be cooking lots of meat and fish but much vegetables too. Also I want to become a pro. :cool: Like amateur-pro, I'm not gonna be working with it, just being really awesome at cooking.

But so I read this flexible utility knife is not suited for meat? If I buy one of those for vegetables and slicing and a chef's for the rest, how can I go wrong?
And yes I'm going to be very careful with em, wash them good and put them in some soft case after every use. :LOL:

img_global_gs-11.jpg

It's just so damn sexy...

Like so what happens if I start off with this knife and start slicing meat with it? It's quite cheap though, I might buy the other not too long after. Maybe I should start cooking and see what knife I really need?
See at home, the best knife we've got is a bread knife. It really pisses me of when I'm cutting onions for example, I can't really slice with it, and when I come to the bottom I have to start 'sawing' to cut the last layer. Cutting salmon with it really sucks too.

See at home, the best knife we've got is a bread knife. It really pisses me of when I'm cutting onions for example, I can't really slice with it, and when I come to the bottom I have to start 'sawing' to cut the last layer. Cutting salmon with it really sucks too.
Ouch, you really need a good knife ... go out and buy one ... now!

Just a chefs knife will be fine. It will handle meat and veg without any trouble. If you start doing something a bit more delicate then maybe look at a paring or deboning knife. But a chefs knife is a good start.
You don't really want a smaller knife for cutting veggies, as a larger blade is easier to guide when chopping so you are less likely to chop bits of you off.

Chopping tip:
Curl you finger tips under when holding whatever you are chopping and allow the blade to glide along your knuckles. Don't lift the blade higher than it needs to be.
Slice it along whatever you are chopping, don't just push downwards.
Always use a wooden chopping board, as plates and glass boards can dull the knife.

:)
CC

Back