conroe compatibility

Im currently using socket 775 on my mobo with a dual core 3.0 proc. running at this time.
I have researched and found "sketchy" info that the conroe will infact work with this socket.

I have been strongly considering purchasing the conroe that is due for release later this month.

I would appreciate any feedback on the compatibility of the processor and opinions on the supposed performance advantage.

Thanks MWAHAHAHAHA

Socket T aka Socket 775 is what the chip uses but your chipset isnt compatable. It has to be either a 965 chipset which isnt shipping yet or one of the second revision 975X chipsets that JUST started to ship.

As far as performance advantage early benchmarks show some great improvment at high settings which is sorely needed. But theinq is talking about a second revision already under way to fix issues and i personally would wait a month or two after the chips start to ship before i would bite the bullet. I was an early adopter of Socket T with 925X chipset board and DDR2/PCI Express and all that stuff and i sort of regretted it. Anyway give it some time and let reviews of retail models get published as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
SugarCoat said:
Socket T aka Socket 775 is what the chip uses but your chipset isnt compatable. It has to be either a 965 chipset which isnt shipping yet or one of the second revision 975X chipsets that JUST started to ship.

As far as performance advantage early benchmarks show some great improvment at high settings which is sorely needed. But theinq is talking about a second revision already under way to fix issues and i personally would wait a month or two after the chips start to ship before i would bite the bullet. I was an early adopter of Socket T with 925X chipset board and DDR2/PCI Express and all that stuff and i sort of regretted it. Anyway give it some time and let reviews of retail models get published as well.
Thanks kindly

got 975 confused with 775:cry:

Asrock will sell a conroe compatible mobo.. with an i865 (AGP 8x)
(I know a guy on a forum with a s478 P4 and a 7800GS+ who'll get conroe that way :D )

I'm having trouble chosing a conroe board, maybe the Dfi Infinity but its got a lot of grubbins on i dont really need, i wonder when the 965 boards are going to turn up.

Blazkowicz_ said:
Asrock will sell a conroe compatible mobo.. with an i865 (AGP 8x)
(I know a guy on a forum with a s478 P4 and a 7800GS+ who'll get conroe that way :D )
what way !?
Conroe is s.775, the problem is not the chipset but the VRM module.
A friend of mine is testing Conroe atm and said that the sample he got, failed his 64-hours burn-in test. He'll give it second try using custom cooler instead of boxed.
Another fellow mumbled something about not being able to get Win2003 running "as expected" on Woodcrest sample...
So I guess waiting for B2 is a must.

From what I've read the Asrock board with AGP and Conroe support is using a Via chipset that also supports DDR, DDR2, AGP and PCIe. Seems like a lot for one board.

VIA+alot of different not meant to work together crap+Asrock...hmm, that doesn`t sound too refreshing in terms of probable reliability, does it?:)

Back