COD3 - 30 frames per second on PS3 - 60fps on 360

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Cod3 it's upgraded CoD2 maybe they have a hard time to rewrite code to work good on Cell or something.

Eurogamer

Grant Collier: At IW, we try to tackle the riskiest, most difficult things first. We allocate a certain amount f time in the beginning, and that's when we start beating on that shit, and if it's not working at the end of that time, then we know we're just not going to deal with it and move on. But when we do get it working, we have the entire development period to tweak it and make it better. And the multi-threading stuff, now we have it working, we're running at 60fps on the 360, which is very nice.

BTW it's funnt to see one site reports PS3 have better shaders another site ...X360 looks much better.

Its like a lottery :D

Maybe Itagaki of Team Ninja know's what's up

While speaking about PS3, how is the development apprehended on this machine?

Very well, the development on this console is really easy. On the other hand, one has less of flexibility than on Xbox 360. I do not want to return in the technical details, but I would say that the PS3 is an “obstinateâ€￾ console. If one wants to obtain good results, one is obliged to cheat much more than on 360, who it can work oneself like a PC. It is possible to work there directly in bond with Windows. The PS3 has a Japanese OS, therefore different of Windows! In more our Japanese engineers do not want to yield vis-a-vis the power of Microsoft, we have this competitive spirit to create different interfaces, to symbolize our different culture thus. But I do not think that the PS3 or the 360 is better one than the other. PlayStation 3 is a little more powerful, but as can be to it a console which leaves one year after another. They have both of qualities and the inherent defects. PlayStation 3 is “obstinateâ€￾, but I am it also, therefore finally it is not awkward!

:smile:

Might as well go grab comments from Starbreeze, Ted Price, and some 360 devs while you're at it. They're just as relevant, to be completely honest...

Last edited by a moderator:
I get the feeling that, much like we saw on the first Xbox, PS3 developers might try to "show" the supposed graphical superiority of the PS3 and push eye-candy (or bloody 1080p) at the expense of framerates... Which is not good!

man, this thread derailed fast

No, it is simply following the spirit of the opening post. If you make a topic in which any aspect of a multi-platform game is compared on two rivalling consoles (in this case already in the title), then you are bound to get a discussion on why that difference exists at this point in time.

In my view, development on the PS3 version was behind on the 360 version in part because this publisher seems one that will only start development when the development tools are starting to get finalised. And in this case, the 360 version was started on at the same time as the PS3 version, but with COD2 already done and therefore a big R&D head-start. This is likely to have been more visible when Edge had a look, unless the events that the internet based media like GameDaily or GameSpot were the same but they were ordered to hold onto their stories until the printed media were released - as that typically takes about 2 months. The Dutch OPM for instance also has a similar preview of the game, probably dating from the same event.

The PS3 version will catch up, but I don't think it will look much better than the 360 version when the two are released, or the PS3 version will simply be released several months later - which could make good business sense because waiting means more consoles are on the market. If you have a sure fire hit, then that makes sense. Otherwise, being early means having more exposure and a longer time to make good sales. You have to balance development time against competition here - a lot of early PS2 games made the all-time revenue/sales top 100, even though you'd expect them to be outdone by better, more-polished later games.

From the looks of it though, they are shooting for PS3's release date with CoD3, which I find surprising. If that is true, it will be interesting to see if the PS3 has managed to catch up on the 360 version, but with that release date I wouldn't be counting on it just yet.

I reckon we will see soon enough, though. If indeed the 17th is the release date even for the PS3 version, then the game should be going gold any time now, and we'll get to see reviews (not just of the 360 version) soon. Don't expect a 1080p version, that's for sure.

CoD2 on the 360 was claimed to be a solid 60fps when in fact it drops to 30fps regularly and 20fps comonly in heavy action unless you turn the 360 down to 480p, so claims about the framerate on various versions of CoD3 are pretty meaningless.

I just preordered a PS3 at Gamestop and they gave me a list of PS3 games and their release dates and COD3 was slated to be released on Nov. 11. Doesn't seem like a lot of time for them to finish the game.

CoD2 on the 360 was claimed to be a solid 60fps when in fact it drops to 30fps regularly and 20fps comonly in heavy action unless you turn the 360 down to 480p, so claims about the framerate on various versions of CoD3 are pretty meaningless.

I don't know what COD2 you played but it was a consistent 60fps with very few frame drops on my machine. And most certainly never dipped into the 20fps range.... :???:

Folks have been anywhere from vague to misleading when it comes to whether or not PS3 is outputting 1080P natively in game, or rescaling a 720P game for display on a 1080P panel... If they started showing 360 games on 1080P panels I wonder if they would make the same mistake...

Anyway I'm sure that the internal processing of PS3 is WAY better than what we are getting in those panels so i'm hoping that they are just setting the panel to 1080 input, and setting the PS3 to 1080P output mode and just leave it there...

Any devs care to shed light on the shader capabilities of of x360 vs PS3 in practice....? By now i'm sure we can replace theoretical performance arguments with practical coding examples?

So they have what, about 2-4 weeks before this has to go gold if it's gonna make the PS3 launch? Doesn't seem likely.

IMO this game will be mediocre anyways, coming frmo Treyarch, maybe they can prove me wrong.

I don't know what COD2 you played but it was a consistent 60fps with very few frame drops on my machine. And most certainly never dipped into the 20fps range.... :???:

exactly unless he talking about PC version

GAMESPOT

Most importantly, though, Call of Duty 2 on the Xbox 360 runs buttery smooth--even smoother than the PC version did for us in a lot of cases. Areas and situations that would cause most PCs to hitch up run perfectly fine on the Xbox 360 version. If you play on a non-HDTV, you do lose some of the sharpness and detail. But the game still looks better than just about any shooter we've played on a regular Xbox, and the frame rate seems even higher than when you play at HD resolutions, making up somewhat for the decline in texture detail.

Perhaps the developers have more experience on the 360.

I think if the code was put into the hands of some competent PS3 developers, it should certainly not be any worse than the 360 version.

Perhaps the developers have more experience on the 360.

I think if the code was put into the hands of some competent PS3 developers, it should certainly not be any worse than the 360 version.

yep

and guess what?

you just answered the question to every one of these threads that say "PS3 will look better than 360 version or 360 will look better than PS3 version"

I love it.Whenever something bad about Ps3 emerges it's Ubisoft's fault!!!

Oh and how is the game "early",it's coming out in the beginning of November!The xbox360 version is the better looking one also.

Might as well go grab comments from Starbreeze, Ted Price, and some 360 devs while you're at it. They're just as relevant, to be completely honest...
Starbreeze=3rd party.

So now The darkness,rainbow six:Vegas and Cod3 all better looking on the 360.Oh well at least that marvel game looks better on the ps3 and that's all that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back