COD3 - 30 frames per second on PS3 - 60fps on 360

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps because it's still in development? I swear, given 30 fps at 1080p or 60fps at 720p, it's 60 fps all the way. They better not screw up this one, or I'll be f*** mad. :devilish:

Is the lower framerate due to the resolution increase? If so, what happens to people playing in 720p or even in 480i/p?? Lots of free AA or higher framerates? For people with 720p TVs that better mean that it has some "free" AA from downscaling or it would be a bit of a letdown

I'm not sure i'd prefer 1080p @ 30fps to 720p @ 60fps to be honest, IF i had a 1080p TV, which i don't.

The game is still early so it should be 60fps when finished.

XBOX 360 is the Ubi lead platform but they seem to be progressing well with the PS3 version - going from looking very early (EDGE magazine article which has a lead time of a few weeks mentioned it was just up and running and looking bare) to recent reports of it looking similar to the 360 version and even slightly better:

The PlayStation 3 demo level, called The Forest, lived up to its name. The lighting effects through trees were pretty neat, but without the 360 version running nearby it was hard to make a point-by-point comparison. A nearby developer suggested that the PS3 version features better shader effects, but it's definitely not a night-and-day difference.

http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/call-of-duty-next/737751p2.html

Is the lower framerate due to the resolution increase? If so, what happens to people playing in 720p or even in 480i/p?? Lots of free AA or higher framerates? For people with 720p TVs that better mean that it has some "free" AA from downscaling or it would be a bit of a letdown

I'm not sure i'd prefer 1080p @ 30fps to 720p @ 60fps to be honest, IF i had a 1080p TV, which i don't.

Not as far as I'm aware. There was an article in, I think, Edge which pretty much seemed to outline it as a case of the developers being comfortable with the 360 hardware and still learning the PS3 hardware. At that time the graphics for the PS3 version were also supposed to be well behind the 360 in terms of quality, but there was no suggestion either graphics or framerate were down to anything other than the developers being able to work more efficiently on the 360 version than the PS3 version.

The game is still early so it should be 60fps when finished.

XBOX 360 is the Ubi lead platform but they seem to be progressing well with the PS3 version - going from looking very early (EDGE magazine article which has a lead time of a few weeks mentioned it was just up and running and looking bare) to recent reports of it looking similar to the 360 version and even slightly better:

Since when is Ubisoft making COD3....

This was what Edge had to say:

After a chance to get hands-on with the 360 version Call of Duty 3, we have to wonder whether Activision has been a touch too successful in its mission to put players in the boots of Allied soldiers in the Normandy offensive of 1944.

Treyarch is bringing new narrative strength and focus across from its work on last year's Big Red One spinoff, although the unrelenting intensity is more reminiscent of Infinity Ward's headlining sequel. The shouts, the mud, the mess, teh heart-in-mouth physical proximity of the action are all there. But the relentless, unvarying onward slog and the constant barrage of noise are more acquired tastes; and the confused sense of never quite being in control of what's happening - or even sure whether your shots are connecting - are not necessarily things you'd want to replicate at all. Audio-visually, though, it's overpowering - successfully trading a little finesse and detail for a combination of credibility and raw impact.

A somewhat reluctant demonstration of PS3 code brings us back to present-day battles with a jolt. With a painful framerate and only rudimentary lighting and shaders in place, the game looks cold and flat next to the gritty bombast of its 360 counterpart, and far from ready for a November launch. It's clear that it will be a race to the wire, in uncharted territory, to get it to match the 360's performance, let alone edge past it. Ii speaks volumes about the last-minute brinkmanship behind the launch of Sony's machine that such a high-profile, high-priority project had at time of asking only just gained access to the tilt-sensing technology, and had had no time to explore its implementation (or otherwise).

Well, I dont KNOW but I doubt it's 1080P on PS3. AFAIK IGN said that and all they said was it was displaying on 1080P TV's. Not the same as 1080P (Some B3der said Gamespot said it was 720P).

If they could do it at 1080p methinks they'd be better served churning out a graphically superior 720P version.

Since when is Ubisoft making COD3....

Oops always getting Acti and Ubi mixed up. It's their lead platform as well so the point stands.

Hardknock that EDGE article is old (or rather the lead time is). Gamespot and IGN have said they now look the same and Gamespy say PS3 version has better shader effects (grain of salt etc.) so progress has obviously been made over that time.

The developer has already done CoD2 on the 360. It is Infinity Ward isn't it? That would suggest that they're perhaps a little more familiar with coding for the 360.

The logic that's applied to remakes of 360 games for the PS3 that look improved: "they've had more development time, that's why it looks better" can, with a slight twist, be applied here can't it?

Anyway, I'll wait til launch before making any serious judgements. And whichever version is better is the one I'll get. (Yes, I've decided to keep hold of my 360!)

Oops always getting Acti and Ubi mixed up. It's their lead platform as well so the point stands.

Hardknock that EDGE article is old (or rather the lead time is). Gamespot and IGN have said they now look the same and Gamespy say PS3 version has better shader effects (grain of salt etc.) so progress has obviously been made over that time.

You're right Gamespot does say they look relatively the same. They also confirm 720p for both versions:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/...topslot;action;1&om_act=convert&click=topslot

You'd be hard pressed to say which version looks better, especially since they're both running in 720p resolution, but neither one is a slouch in the visual department.

Where did this whole 1080p mess come from?

Also Gamespy didn't say it had better shader effects, they said someone suggested it might, but they couldn't tell a difference.

I guess we'll hear more about the performance closer to launch.

The developer has already done CoD2 on the 360. It is Infinity Ward isn't it? That would suggest that they're perhaps a little more familiar with coding for the 360.

The logic that's applied to remakes of 360 games for the PS3 that look improved: "they've had more development time, that's why it looks better" can, with a slight twist, be applied here can't it?

Anyway, I'll wait til launch before making any serious judgements. And whichever version is better is the one I'll get. (Yes, I've decided to keep hold of my 360!)

I'm hearing surprising good stuff on the PS2 version. Not that this is going to be the best version, obviously, but I still found it remarkable that the PS2 version is going to be pretty much the full game with only some graphical downgrades (smoke looks more like fog, lower texture resolutions obviously), and a few less enemies on screen. Other than that, all the features seem to be in there. There was an in-depth preview in the Dutch OPM.

no no, i keep hearing how the "6 month delay" will nullify that effect. Devs should of have ample time now cause of "the delay". It should be obvious to everyone what the superior console is. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back