CES show

Hehe, I have a co-worker going but not myself - we're in beta ATM.

You sure will see TONS of cool stuff there but I don't think it's going to help you decide what to buy since most of that stuff is off "in the future" and there simply is too much to see and digest (information overload).

That said, check out SEDs and corner the Toshiba guy to see just how much their initial offerings will cost.

Ty said:
That said, check out SEDs and corner the Toshiba guy to see just how much their initial offerings will cost.
Im not actually going. sigh, work is killing me right now. I wanted to see if anyone was going to check those things for me. :) SED is going to be great, but i fear it will take them years to get a 70+inch panel out at a not unreasonable price. Now that sony has some competition in the 1080p hdtv's, im sure they will release a killer tv. 2 other players that im quite interested in are: HP, and JVC they are making great ~70 inch tv now, and i might pull the trigger on one of them if nothing exciting comes out from CES in the next week.

Ohh, i hear that TI is releasing a non woobilating(sp?) chip. Cool.

epic

epicstruggle said:
SED is going to be great, but i fear it will take them years to get a 70+inch panel out at a not unreasonable price.

Which is precisely why I cautioned people here on championing the technology. Half of the work is getting it done in the lab. The other 90% ( ;) ) is getting into the marketplace.

epicstruggle said:
Now that sony has some competition in the 1080p hdtv's, im sure they will release a killer tv. 2 other players that im quite interested in are: HP, and JVC they are making great ~70 inch tv now, and i might pull the trigger on one of them if nothing exciting comes out from CES in the next week.

What technology are those sets based on? I had heard a bit about HP entering the market but frankly dismissed them. JVC tends to be a bit of a mediocre performer as well but frankly I haven't been looking at anything near the 70" range. I presume it's RP? Once you get into that range, go look at FPs, those are pretty much the best PQ you can get now.

epicstruggle said:
Ohh, i hear that TI is releasing a non woobilating(sp?) chip. Cool.

epic

Don't even have a clue what that term means. I'm assuming it's related to DLP since you mention TI.

Ty said:
Don't even have a clue what that term means. I'm assuming it's related to DLP since you mention TI.

Wobbulation lets each mirror address more than one pixel, so you can get away with having less.

It's sort of like interpolation [Edit - sorry, interlacing. Cheers Brimstone!] so I guess a non-wibblymaking device might be desirable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ty said:
What technology are those sets based on? I had heard a bit about HP entering the market but frankly dismissed them. JVC tends to be a bit of a mediocre performer as well but frankly I haven't been looking at anything near the 70" range. I presume it's RP? Once you get into that range, go look at FPs, those are pretty much the best PQ you can get now.
HP and JVC probably have the best 1080p sets out right now, at least from opinions of those who have seen many sets in action. I have the money to go for a high end FP, but the room im planning on using it in is not FP friendly.

epic

Wobulation is used on all of those HP sets and I don't think Wobulation is going away anytime soon. Here is a description of wobulation.

Using an HP technique known as “wobulation†(TI calls it SmoothPicture), TI achieves a 1,920 x 1,080 effective pixel resolution using half that number of mirrors. Wobulation relies on the same principle as interlacing, which shows half the picture at a time, but so rapidly the eye combines the two parts into one. Starting with the square pixel design of its 720p DLP chips, TI turned each mirror 45° relative to the sides of the display, creating rows of diamond-shaped pixels. There are only 960 x 1,080 micromirrors on the grid, but each of them, in effect, creates two separate pixels, one after the other.

During operation, light from the lamp bounces from the chip to a device called an optical actuator, a reflective panel that pivots. In its first position, the actuator reflects half of the image information (the odd-numbered pixels) onto the screen. After 8 milliseconds, the actuator switches position — or “wobulates†— half a pixel-width. Simultaneously, the chip flashes up the picture information for the other half of the image (the even-numbered pixels). This process is so quick that it’s impossible to differentiate between the sets of pixels, and the entire frame, with all 1,920 x 1,080 pixels, is “constructed†within the standard 1/60-second field time.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=861&page_number=3

epicstruggle said:
HP and JVC probably have the best 1080p sets out right now, at least from opinions of those who have seen many sets in action. I have the money to go for a high end FP, but the room im planning on using it in is not FP friendly.

epic

Interesting. Those screen sizes are definitely beyond my interest!

Why isn't the room FP friendly? If you've got the room for a 70", then surely the wall behind the display is flat enough for a screen?

If you're wondering where to place the projector, just hang it from the ceiling. Easily the cleanest install out there.

RussSchultz said:
Ambient light is usually the culprit.

OIC. I was merely thinking of placement issues.

Hell, if you've got the money for a decent projector then get some Stoplite shades or even go motorized!

Ty said:
OIC. I was merely thinking of placement issues.

Hell, if you've got the money for a decent projector then get some Stoplite shades or even go motorized!
Light and room size just sucks right now. When i get my own house in a year or two. A theater room will be a must with a FP. Ill likely blow upwards of 75k on it, but right now its not feasible, so a RP/LCD/plasma tv is what im going for.

epic

epicstruggle said:
Light and room size just sucks right now. When i get my own house in a year or two. A theater room will be a must with a FP. Ill likely blow upwards of 75k on it, but right now its not feasible, so a RP/LCD/plasma tv is what im going for.

epic

75K! Damn, that's going to be a heck of a HT room!

Mine was just a little more than that.

Of course, there was a house attached to it as an accessory...

RussSchultz said:
Mine was just a little more than that.

Of course, there was a house attached to it as an accessory...

Lol.

My guess is that the house was for the WAF? ;)

epicstruggle said:
My dad spent more than 250k on his, and no one lives in that house. lol. my family is crazy.

epic

250K! Does he feel like buying us a house? For just 3x that my wife and I could live in a nice house in San Diego. Your folks could visit anytime they wished!

RussSchultz said:
Ambient light is usually the culprit.
Yeah.. it's never calculated correctly but real-time radiosity is such a pain... whoops wrong forum :p :p :p

Back