CD burning

Parousia

Banned
I haven't had much problem burning CD-Rs through the years. Since switching from Sony CD-Rs to another brand-less type, my regular CD-burning software as well as WinXP's Media Player refuse to burn these CD-Rs. Are the 100 CD-Rs to blame or what? Thanks.

I used pretty much everything and the only media that failed me (though rarely) were Verbatim and Imation. Everything else worked flawlessly.

I've tried a few but, unlike others, Verbatim have been ok for me.

I had a problem a while back, where my audio CD creations were failing all the time, even on really slow burns. Naturally I blamed the media first and tried out alternatives. In the end I found out it was Nero's conversion process from MP3 (and possibly others) to WAV that was ropey. If I ever use Nero to burn audio CDs now, I convert the files to the correct format first using dBPowerAmp. I haven't had any problems since, but it's still a pain in the arse way of doing things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'm pretty loyal to Verbatim (it helps that they're usually pretty cheap), but in China, a few times, I've been forced to use Mitsubishi and they've been fine (though a little more expensive). Ironically, the former are much harder to find here, but when I have found them, they've been cheap, they haven't been fake, and worked great (blank media fake-branding is a horrible, horrible problem here). Back in the US, when I couldn't find a good deal on Verbatims, I'd buy Memorex, and they were pretty good -- but not perfect (sometimes having trouble at a newly-released top speed, or a couple otherwise inexplicable coasters in a spindle).

Have you tried upgrading your firmware? The drive may not be recognizing the media properly.

It depends on the burner and the firmware it has. That firmware holds tables that tells it how to burn what disks.

Each blank disk has a media descriptor that tells all the drive needs to know (like the real manufacturer, the manufacturer type, the minimum and maximum energy needed/allowed, etc. If that list isn't up to date or contains errors, you might be totally unable to burn certain disks.

And the energy output of the laser diminishes over time, when it crosses a treshold your burner is broken.

I only buy verbatim nowaday, as that is the only one that works flawlessly on all my burners. But YMMV. You just have to try.

Back