Can't login to Windows 7?? Wierd problem don't know how to search for answer

Squilliam

Beyond3d isn't defined yet
Veteran
Supporter
Its a strange issue. Every time I reboot my HTPC I can't click on my username. Mouse and keyboard are both active but every time I try to click on my username all it does is highlight it and nothing more. Also general keyboard commands like control alt delete are locked out.

Can anyone tell me what might be the problem?

Haven't the faintest clue what's going on... Switching input devices to another USB jack don't help, I suppose?

Tried doing a repair using the install disc?

How long does it take before you can log in with your username? I'm assuming at some point you can?

It almost sounds like someone has RDP'd into your machine with your account and then locked the user. Which would then prevent you from logging on until they (or a bot?) logged off.

Regards,
SB

How long does it take before you can log in with your username? I'm assuming at some point you can?

It almost sounds like someone has RDP'd into your machine with your account and then locked the user. Which would then prevent you from logging on until they (or a bot?) logged off.

Regards,
SB

RDP? remote desktop? I don't know, its not a possibility I can exclude. Wouldn't it come up with the words (account locked?) if that had happened though? Anyway I could look into this.

tried pressing ENTER/Spacebar ? ie using keyboard instead of mouse
Take a look at event log

I'll take a look, assming I can glance at it from another Windows install.

have you tried enabling legacy support of usb in the bios

@ All: I started the machine with a backup HDD (not my current image unfortunately) and it loads up fine. I can exclude hardware errors/remote USB issues etc as all else remains the same.

So now its a software issue so I'll try to see if the event log might pull up anything. :)

I got lazy and I fixed it by restoring from a backup. I'll never know why it happened but at least I fixed it. Im just assuming that Dave did it.

Are you sure you're not covering for Charlie, now Digi? I heard he was going to post one positive article about Nvidia every financial quarter in exchange for both of you to get onto the 'allowed' list for hardware reviews.

Back