Can you use an iphone without the phone?

Rangers

Legend
Ok, a little poorly worded title but basically, I kind of want an iphone for the ipod+wi-fi internet part, without having any plans to immediatly activate the phone. Especially since it is only $100 more than the ipod touch, might as well have future phone capability.

So, is that possible, or is the thing somehow locked down until you activate it with a phone plan or something?

According to the manual, the iPhone requires activation before using any features. One person reported on his blog that he was able to bypass that with some hacks. See wiki. I don't think I'm allowed to post a direct link.

Short answer: not without a bunch of work.

There is a small cottage industry going on right now selling hacked iphones, but they aren't cheap.

i know a guy that's selling them here in Canada. I think he bought them from Apple and hacked them. I'll have to see if he bought them without having to sign up for some sort of contract, and if what you're asking is possible. I'm not sure if it would boot up without a SIM card.

They have not released said rumored firmware. You have to love how the internet distorts events. They warned about it being a possibility, but are not actively moving to disable all the hacked iPhones. Though I wouldn't be surprised if a future update overwrites / updates one of the files the HACKS rely upon.

MacWorld Apple warning
"Apple has discovered that many of the unauthorized iPhone unlocking programs available on the Internet cause irreparable damage to the iPhone's software, which will likely result in the modified iPhone becoming permanently inoperable when a future Apple-supplied iPhone software update is installed," the company said in a statement.
<<...snip...snip...>>
Asked to clarify the statement, Apple representatives said they "are not proactively trying to disable any iPhone that has been hacked or unlocked by software."

The first hint that Apple would take a more aggressive stand toward unlocking hacks came last week during the company’s London press event to announce the U.K. ship date for the iPhone. Asked by a reporter what Apple was doing to stop people from unlocking their phones, CEO Steve Jobs called it “a cat and mouse game.â€￾

“I’m not sure if we are the cat or the mouse. People will try to break in, and it’s our job to stop them breaking in,â€￾ he added.

Apple made it very clear that it would not be responsible for any damage caused by the installation of third-party unlocking software.

"Users who make unauthorized modifications to the software on their iPhone violate their iPhone software license agreement and void their warranty," the company said in its statement. "The permanent inability to use an iPhone due to installing unlocking software is not covered under the iPhone's warranty.

Just get youself an iPod touch, that has Wi-Fi too. That _is_ an iPhone without the phone, same housing even :) Should be cheaper too.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...browse&mco=FDC8CDFF&node=home/ipod/ipod_touch

Yes but if you'll read my original post, you'll see I covered that possibilty :smile:

Had it been possible to use a iphon without activating it as a phone, that would have been far more attractive to me. Because I very well might want to use it as a phone later, and at least I'd have that option.

However, a ipod touch is not attractive to me, without that phone capability.

Now I'm confused :???:

So actually you'd just like a cheaper iPhone without a contract but with full functionality?

Dunno about the Apple stuff, but normal mobiles will accept any phone card unless they're "branded", speak tied to a certain telecom provider. So if you can get a "virgin" one, it should work I guess.

Now I'm confused :???:

So actually you'd just like a cheaper iPhone without a contract but with full functionality?

Dunno about the Apple stuff, but normal mobiles will accept any phone card unless they're "branded", speak tied to a certain telecom provider. So if you can get a "virgin" one, it should work I guess.

No, I'd like an iphone, but I dont want to activate it as a phone right now. I do however, want to have the ability to activate it as a phone in the future, the fundamental difference with the ipod touch. And not cheaper, I would pay 399.

However, it's been explained this is not possible. And the hacking rout is far too difficult to bother.

Also, I suppose I can look this up myself with some difficulty, but, can iphone just easily get any kind of files (video, audio) from a PC over wi-fi? Or does it have to only work through itunes or something weird like that?

I also read a review that you cannot "save" files to a iphone.

To me, that would be ideal, an iphone like device that has full OS functionality. Basically a mini computer in your hand. iphone is apparantly not there yet, because Apple locks it down too much and restricts functionality.

I know its now legal in the u.s to unlock a phone but isnt it illegal to prevent you via some sort of anti competition law ?

Rangers, take a look at Sony W880i. If you're not all about the touchscreen, it might do what you want. Bluetooth, 2 MPix cam, Webcam, streaming, web browser, RSS, 2 GB memory card for music and files and a great UMTS 3G phone on top of that. Nice PC software too. I reluctantly bought it some two weeks ago just because it was the thinnest one offered, but I'm totally delighted after using it for a while. Kickass device (EDIT: thus the "i found it" in my sig now, before it said "I want a phone I can carry in my jeans without looking like I had two sets of balls" ;))

http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=us&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pip1&zone=pp&pid=10653

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I suppose I can look this up myself with some difficulty, but, can iphone just easily get any kind of files (video, audio) from a PC over wi-fi? Or does it have to only work through itunes or something weird like that?
I believe the answer is 'no', iTunes is the only way to get tunes on your device.

Which is pretty damn crappy, if you ask me, but anything else doesn't give them revenue (which is usually what drives crappy cell phone experience--not that they couldn't, but that they wouldn't make any money from making it any better, and might possibly lose money)

I believe the answer is 'no', iTunes is the only way to get tunes on your device.

Which is pretty damn crappy, if you ask me, but anything else doesn't give them revenue (which is usually what drives crappy cell phone experience--not that they couldn't, but that they wouldn't make any money from making it any better, and might possibly lose money)

Yuck. They really need to make a wi-fi device, that can just pull MP3 (and other) files off your PC at will. Save them at will..basically have a full Vista/XP style OS.

I don't know about the full vista/xp os style device, but being able to access YOUR content from YOUR servers would be a win for the consumer.

Back