Can someone please help me get started with JAVA

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
I was looking around Sun's website and the like and when looking through tutorials, they either had not enough info or treated me like a complete idiot like I've never done any form of programming before.

I'm a JAVA newbie and would like to get started.
Another annoying thing is that console inputs in JAVA are non-existent.

I downloaded Java 2 standard edition.

Actually, you can get some free learning from ... well I won't advertise it, but I'll pm you as to where you could go.

Do a search for a free Java-book called Thinking in Java. It's a good book if you have done some coding before with C++. Overall, I think you should buy a decent book and start with that.

Anonymous said:
Do a search for a free Java-book called Thinking in Java. It's a good book if you have done some coding before with C++. Overall, I think you should buy a decent book and start with that.

Hmh, didn't know that you can post to this forum without logging in. Well, that was written by me.

try 'Computer Science Using Java' or any java startup text. Since ur proficient in C++ by now u should pick it up in no time.

Anonymous said:

www.bruceeckel.com

It's really great, one of the best books you can get for learning Java.

Thanks guys. I just need to locate a good bookstore. Would any ordinary bookstore have those books?

If you have an acces to Visa, I think you should try Amazon. It has a great selection of programming-books. Most of the "normal" bookstores only have these "Beginner's guide to Word97"-thingies and it can be hard to find anything relating to programming.

K.I.L.E.R said:
I'm a JAVA newbie and would like to get started.
Another annoying thing is that console inputs in JAVA are non-existent.

java can do console inputs...
you can use System.in.read(), InputStreamReader(System.in), or BufferedReader depending on what you want to input

Doesn't work....the jar file opens as an archive(I'm not familiar with jar files) and I tried putting it into a java compiler(the .java file) and got an exception in thread main. It's probably something easily fixed, but I barely know java and haven't coded in it for like a year, plus I'm feeling lazy right now.

Try, java sillyAliasCrypt or java sillyAliasCrypt.jar at the command line.

As for the exception, that's because your class path isn't set.

Back