Can I build my own laptop from scratch yet?

The way to go is to not get a laptop unless you actually need one since they are overpriced and underpowered.

By the way Sager makes the laptops for alienware anyway, or at least they used to so you might as well cut out the middle man.

{Sniping}Waste said:
Cyberpower uses the Uniwill barebones for there notebooks.
You just know I got a softspot for Cyberpower! :p

Fox5 said:
There's also this website for customizing labtops....
http://www.rjtech.com/
Thanks, I'll check it out as well as CP.

I think I'd rather go with a pre-configured one with a guarantee after a bit further thought, mebbe my second one I'll be confident enough to build myself. :oops:

Ok, some more dumb questions.... :oops:

<sigh>

I guess all my questions could be summed up with a simple, "Which one should I get?" from either the above listed or good old Cyberpower.

I want a laptop that can game a bit, what should my minimum CPU/RAM/Viddy be?

I have no clue on laptop video, is a 9700 mobility any decent?

EDITED BITS: I'm leaning towards this one a bit. Put the X800 in it, switch to the 7200 60Gb HD and add a second one; but I'm leary of an Intel based system compared to an AMD-64. :?

How does Intel stack up on the laptop front? Oh, and is the mobility X800 or 6800 better? (And I really like the fact that either is user-upgradeable!)

digitalwanderer said:

<sigh>

I guess all my questions could be summed up with a simple, "Which one should I get?" from either the above listed or good old Cyberpower.

EDITED BITS: I'm leaning towards this one a bit. Put the X800 in it, switch to the 7200 60Gb HD and add a second one; but I'm leary of an Intel based system compared to an AMD-64. :?

How does Intel stack up on the laptop front? Oh, and is the mobility X800 or 6800 better? (And I really like the fact that either is user-upgradeable!)

Dude...you're getting a Dell!
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/pro.../inspn_xps2?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

First, digi, I'm in the same situation as you, & let me tell you that you really should read up in the http://notebookforums.com/.

Second, after looking at Alienware, Dell, Voodoo, Hypersonic, RJtech, Acer, Comaq/HP, Gateway/Emachines, Sony, Toshiba, that the notebook you want is......................whichever one fits you the best. :)

I would suggest for you to prioritize your needs in a notebook & then set a max budget.

Ex:
1. Mobility (less than 7 lbs)
2. Gaming (X700/6600Go)
etc

less than $2k.

You give us that info & both SnipingWaste & I can really narrow it down for you (we both spend time on notebook forums).

After looking for my personal view of the best notebook during the last 8 months, I've decided that that a Turion-based notebook is the best w/ at least an x700/6600Go. Unfortunately there are no notebooks w/ a Turion out yet (in April/May we'll see them). Sonoma isn't getting dual-core or 64-bit CPU's until mid-2006, & AMD Turion really has the jump on Intel for that, at least.

BTW, Sager really has some good notebooks, & PCTorque a great company to buy Sagers from.

Karma Police said:
Sonoma isn't getting dual-core or 64-bit CPU's until mid-2006, & AMD Turion really has the jump on Intel for that, at least.
The Sonoma platform, which includes a Dothan-core Pentium-M processor, doesn't get dual-core or 64-bit processors, period. Dual-core Pentium-M, codenamed Yonah/Jonah, will be part of the Napa platform. Napa has been shown up and running for quite some time now and is currently slated for introduction in early 2006.

AMD has not yet publicly commited to introducing dual-core processors to the mobile market. The only "jump" AMD has (or rather, will have, once their products are shipping) with Turion is SSE3 and 64-bit support, both of which, IMHO, of rather questionable value in the mobile market.

Hmm, I just recently started working graveyard helpdesk at an ISP.

My coleague went out & splooged NZ$4000 on a manportable 'laptop' with a mobile 9700 (ie a 9600) so he can game during our hours of doing sod all.

I spent NZ$500 & transformed my existing desktop into a shuttle. 8)

I'm looking for a gamer (X800 mobile) with the best battery life I can find, or extry battery packs.

Mobility for me is under 20lbs, I don't mind carrying a little weight for the sake of performance.

digitalwanderer said:
I'm looking for a gamer (X800 mobile) with the best battery life I can find, or extry battery packs.

Mobility for me is under 20lbs, I don't mind carrying a little weight for the sake of performance.

Lol, that's more like draggable. Just pack up your desktop with an LCD monitor and bring them with you.(I don't think you'll even find a 10 pound laptop)

Fox5 said:
Lol, that's more like draggable.
Ok, then let's just say that weight ain't a real consideration...but I do want a laptop. ;)

What about portable internet connectivity? I do believe I have a few WAN choices in my area, what kind of hardware will I need to connect up to it?

digitalwanderer said:

<sigh>

The mobile 9700 is a 9600XT. Its a 4 pipeline card at 500 core. If your looking at Intel then get a Pentium Mobile and not a Pentium 4 mobile.
The pentium mobile is realy in most areas more powerful then P4 and uses much less power and kicks out less heat.
You might want to wait for AMD Turion. Its around 25W to 35W so long batery life there and less heat. There is a note book coming out that uses a AMD Turion 64 and ATI xpress 200 chipset.

Here is a thread on AMD Turion 64 at Notebooks fourms.
http://notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=66808&highlight=Turion

Hope this helps you out. The Turions should be out in April( I hope so).

incurable said:
The Sonoma platform, which includes a Dothan-core Pentium-M processor, doesn't get dual-core or 64-bit processors, period. Dual-core Pentium-M, codenamed Yonah/Jonah, will be part of the Napa platform. Napa has been shown up and running for quite some time now and is currently slated for introduction in early 2006.

AMD has not yet publicly commited to introducing dual-core processors to the mobile market. The only "jump" AMD has (or rather, will have, once their products are shipping) with Turion is SSE3 and 64-bit support, both of which, IMHO, of rather questionable value in the mobile market.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. Perhaps you have not seen the press release by AMD for their dual-core Turions in 2H '05:

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050303_023118.html

I guess you also have missed Intel's 64-bit P-M:

http://www.theinquirer.org/?article=21666

Although maybe I should have generalized more & not said "sonoma" but "P-M platform", but only anal retentives care about the difference.

Back