Buying electronics brick/mortar in UKI

RussSchultz

Professional Malcontent
Veteran
I'm travelling the UK in a week or two and am considering buying a Epson TW600.

It is about 1/2 the price of the US equivalent version, and I might be able to get it duty free, if I can find it at a B&M place.

Any suggestions? I'll be in Cambridge, if that makes any difference.

I don't know any decent AV shops in Cambridge. But go into a newsagents (like W H Smith). Look in the back of Which Home Cinema, What LCD/Plasma, Home Cinema Choice and see if you can find a dealer listed in the adverts at the back.

RussSchultz said:

It is about 1/2 the price of the US equivalent version, and I might be able to get it duty free, if I can find it at a B&M place.

Russ, I don't know if you're aware of this, but at some shops in the UK you can get a form filled out which allows you to reclaim the duty (on certain items) when you leave the UK again. Not all shop sales people, however, know about these.

(The system in Australia is a lot simpler)

Simon F said:
Russ, I don't know if you're aware of this, but at some shops in the UK you can get a form filled out which allows you to reclaim the duty (on certain items) when you leave the UK again. Not all shop sales people, however, know about these.
Yes, that's my hope.

Now, just to find a shop on my limited time. :)

Cambridge AV stores

RussSchultz said:

You could try Sevenoaks Sound and Vision (http://www.ssav.com/store.asp?id=15), it appears they have a store in Cambridge, but from the website it doesn't seem like they stock any varieties of Epson stuff there.

There's also Richer Sounds in Cambridge - http://ws1.richersounds.co.uk/information.php?cda=locationdetails&locationid=53. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like they hold any Epson stuff there either.

Sorry can't be more helpful with locating a store that might stock it, but they may be able to help you more if you go to one of their stores.

No wonder I couldnt find Sevenoaks Sound and Vision web site, what a cr*p url. I was sure they had a Cambridge store, but couldn't find them on google.

I don't know if it's what you were looking for but you could try doing a google local search for electronics or whatever you feel like searching for in the city where you are going since they have UK information...

Back