Bungie and Activision Announce Exclusive, Worldwide Partnership

Hopefully both Bungie and Respawn are targeting next gen consoles with their new wares, the timing is good for that and the current consoles are starting to look a bit dated anyways. Would be kinda disappointing if they released stuff two years from now for the current hardware.

That depends on whether we'll have new hardware in 2-3 years... Then again, you might know more about this then we do ;)

Now this is all hearsay of course, but isn't Activision '10 kind of the terrible slaver overlord master figure of the games industry? Bungie bought themselves back to freedom ... why? Ostensibly, obviously, probably because they didn't want another party to determine what they can and cannot work on anymore. Entering obligations with Activision now doesn't seem exactly compatible with that direction.

Activision is no better or worse than EA, Bethesda, Square-Enix Eidos, etc... They just happen to have a very vocal CEO that likes to talk to the press. Other than that from a business, developement, and contract standpoint...there's virtually no difference.

Add to that, they still have the rather phenomenal Blizzard partnership. And right now, that's probably the hottest and most bulletproof studio around.

so is this Bungie's last Halo game or can they also still do those?

I'm assuming this is an exclusive publishing agreement for a new franchise (world) that hasn't yet been announced. Similar to how MS basically has exclusivity to the Halo franchise. Except in this case, Activision only has a 10 year window while MS has indefinite exclusivity on Halo.

So, assuming they can field enough developement teams, nothing prevents them from working on another Halo, or any other title not associated with the franchise they are doing with Activision.

Moving to other stuff...

Bungie is possibly a safer bet for another hit title than the former IW heads and team, with a better track record for the past decade+. IW, however, is certainly more proven from a multi-platform perspective, especially in the past few years.

Thing is, has the IW team done anything other than FPS? Bungie at least has done other genres. While ONI may have been a bit of a disappointment. Myth: The Fallen Lords was released to critical acclaim but didn't have an "easy mode" for mass consumer adoption. Game was definitely one of the best strategy games of all time however. And did basic physics modeling well before any games other than simulations tried it...

All my opinion, of course. :)

If we think of it terms of Activision trading IW for Bungie, I think they came out ahead...

Regards,
SB

so is this Bungie's last Halo game or can they also still do those?

Reach is bungie's last halo game. The Halo IP is owned by microsoft.

A bigger question is, could MS have done better job in negotiating the split with Bungie? I think they should have asked for 3 halo games after Halo 3 was done(instead of 2 - odst and reach) and told Bungie that they needed to find new studio space(I'm pretty sure the studio was purchased by MS for Bungie).

Although most likely Bungie's last Halo game, Microsoft's official response didn't completely rule it out either....

Our partnership with Bungie as a first-party developer for Xbox 360 remains unchanged and right now we’re deeply engaged with them on the development of “Halo Reach,” which is poised to be the biggest game of 2010.

BTW, Activision is only publishing this ONE new IP set in totally new universe. Has nothing to do with Halo or any past Bungie games.

Tommy McClain

Hopefully both Bungie and Respawn are targeting next gen consoles with their new wares, the timing is good for that and the current consoles are starting to look a bit dated anyways. Would be kinda disappointing if they released stuff two years from now for the current hardware.
Indeed I've been a bit shocked by how "games" really looks since I hooked my 360 a 1080p display last week end.

Reach is bungie's last halo game. The Halo IP is owned by microsoft.

A bigger question is, could MS have done better job in negotiating the split with Bungie? I think they should have asked for 3 halo games after Halo 3 was done(instead of 2 - odst and reach) and told Bungie that they needed to find new studio space(I'm pretty sure the studio was purchased by MS for Bungie).

Actually Bungie had a recent interview where they basically said "yeah we're not interested in Halo for the forseeable future, but we'd never say never, maybe in ten years we change our mind". So Bungie isn't necessarily done forever with Halo.

And asking for 3 Halo games was probably too much. Remember you're looking at 3 year windows (and probably 5 year dev times) on those. If Bungie wants to get on with their new IP another Halo was out.

Harold Ryan said:
We had agreed with Microsoft awhile ago to let them have first look at our game, so we did that. But we retained the right to negotiate for the best deal for the studio.

Microsft Games said:
We're not at liberty to discuss details of Bungie's publishing agreements. We respect Bungie's decision as an independent studio to develop games for multiple platforms.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2011740770_bungie30.html

Tommy McClain

Sounds like an online game with community content, and continuous developer update. A different kind of WoW ?

They are very upbeat in the gamasutra interview too.

Yeah, also, Bungie's choices for a publisher are indeed very limited nowadays, just as there are very few independent studios left who are interested in and looking for this kind of deal.

Bungie basically had 4 realistic options.

1) Stay with Microsoft as a publisher, which probably means keep working on the Halo franchise.
2) Talk to Sony about being a publisher. Probably out of the question since they'd want to go multi-platform to maximize revenue.
3) Talk to EA. This probably happened.
4) Talk to Activision. Obviously we know who won out.

That said, it's not too surprising, but it's still disappointing given Activisions business practices as of late.

3) Talk to EA. This probably happened.
4) Talk to Activision. Obviously we know who won out.

That said, it's not too surprising, but it's still disappointing given Activisions business practices as of late.

It may be that Activisions business practices as of late and the fallout are precisely the reason bungie got the deal they did and the reason the deal was better than that offered by EA.

If Bungie had in mind a ten-year contract from the beginning, Sony and Microsoft aren't good choices - both are giant corporations with gaming at the periphery, and an expensive ten-year contract might become a victim to a corporate reorganization at the top. They needed someone who had a more vested interest in games.

Back