Build me a LOW bottleneck GAMING comp for $2335

Damian79

Newcomer
My friend wants me to help him buy a computer with no monitor for under $2500 AUD which translated to $2335 USD. Preferably buying from alrightdeals since they export overseas.

The problem? I have no idea what will cause a bottle neck. And he wants it to run crysis well and last him 3-4 years.

I think that it would be a good start to build the computer around this card :

* Mfr Part Number: BFGE9800GX2
* Chipset: GeForce 9800 GX2
* Engine Clock: 600 MHz
* Video Memory: 1GB DDR3
* Memory Clock: 2 GHz
* Memory Interface: 512-bit
* Memory Bandwidth: 128 GB/sec
* Bus: PCI-Express x16 (Support PCI-Express 2.0)
* RAMDAC: 400 MHz
* Stream Processors: 256
* Max. Resolution: 2560 x 1600
* Connectors: Dual DVI-I, HDMI
* Thermal: Fansink
* Support nVidia SLI Technology
* Support HDCP - High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection
* Support Microsoft DirectX 10.0, Shader Model 4.0 and OpenGL 2.1
* Built for Microsoft Windows Vista
* Requirements: 1GB of system memory; 580W PCI-Express Compliant System Power Supply with a Combined 12V Current Rating of 40A or more

Thanks a lot guys in advance.

PS. Can he use normal windows XP with this card?

Last edited by a moderator:
3-4 years?! Is that with a GPU upgrade in due time or not? With or without overclocking?
Also, if he wants to wait that long to upgrade again, may I suggest waiting for GT200/R7xx? Here's a very approximative config I would suggest:
- Q9450 [Overclocked to 3GHz+]
- 2xGT200 or R7xx.
- 4GiB DDR2-800.
- Good P35 Mobo or MCP79/MCP7A if he goes for the GT200 and likes the idea of HybridPower and can wait until that's out, might be released at the same time as GT200 though.

If he wants to make it last that long, it really doesn't make any sense not to wait 2 more months IMO.

PS. Can he use normal windows XP with this card?

Yes he can use XP with that card but he will not get access to its DX10 functionality. Which means Crysis at max settings is a no go. There are hacks which can get you much of the DX10 visual goodness in that game on XP though but they don;t exist for other DX10 enabaled games.

if he's going for a brand new high end DX10 gaming PC thats going to last several years then I would strongly advise going Vista.

As for lasting 3-4 years, that would really depend on when the next console generation launches. If thats also not for another 3-4 years then I expect a single GT200 powered system (or even a 9800GX2) would be plenty to run every game between now and then at high settings. You may need to start dialling down settings and resolution in a year or 2 but nothing that will make any game unplayable or even look bad. If however a new console launches in 2 years then I would expect to start seeing games that a GX2 and perhaps even a GT200 simply won't play at all, or would need to play at very reduced settings.

Why did you suggest 2 x GT200 Arun? Just curious. Is it for Crysis in particular to be able to play that beast of a game @ max settings?

I am going off topic but I am playing AC at max settings according to the res my monito can handle with the MSAA enabled to 4x and there is NO issue at all. Granted I have not played Crysis but for the visuals the game is producing I dont see how it is so taxing on the system...just thinking out loud here.

Why did you suggest 2 x GT200 Arun? Just curious. Is it for Crysis in particular to be able to play that beast of a game @ max settings?

I am going off topic but I am playing AC at max settings according to the res my monito can handle with the MSAA enabled to 4x and there is NO issue at all. Granted I have not played Crysis but for the visuals the game is producing I dont see how it is so taxing on the system...just thinking out loud here.

Yeah but AC doesn't really play in the same league as Crysis at the Very High settings. It truly is a site to behold when everythings maxxed out and you PC might just be able to handle it (as long as the res stays at 1680x1050). You should download the demo!

Anyway, Arun probably suggested so much GPU power because the system is expected to last 3-4 years. Even a pair of GT200's will be slow in 4 years time.

Yeah, I was thinking in terms of longevity - plus, what else are you going to spend all that money on? $500 of LEDs? :) Of course if he wants a huge HDD or whatever, then there might be better ways to spend that money than on a second GPU.

Why not spend half as much twice? Or 75/25% so graphics can get upgraded halfway through?

That is a possibility.

As for lasting 3-4 years, that would really depend on when the next console generation launches. If thats also not for another 3-4 years then I expect a single GT200 powered system (or even a 9800GX2) would be plenty to run every game between now and then at high settings. You may need to start dialling down settings and resolution in a year or 2 but nothing that will make any game unplayable or even look bad. If however a new console launches in 2 years then I would expect to start seeing games that a GX2 and perhaps even a GT200 simply won't play at all, or would need to play at very reduced settings.

Well i think that the pc games currently are very much influenced by consoles, but they like to be a step ahead graphically most of the time. And since there hasnt even been even a murmur about the ps4 or xbox720, i dont think that they will release so soon. The Wii 2 will probably just be announced soon but i dont think they will be competing for the graphics crown.

I dont think in terms of graphics cards one can really be future proof. I think if you are a resolution/visual quality whore like me you will pretty much need SLI and you will rpetty much ned to go with what is best on the market. I am currently setting up myself for a GT200 SLI setup if it turns out to all that. I waited for the 9800 generation but I had alreayd decided that I would skip that generation and it turns out it was a good decision on my part. I think the rest of the system like CPU memory etc you wont be too outdated on. There is a chance in the near future where I am going to sell my rig andif that happens I am definitely grabbing the 790 mobo and getting me some DDR3 ram but I will keep my Ultras.

Back