BR/HD-DVD Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
kaching said:
If we are to accept that your equation is reasonably accurate, either the creators of DVD were incompetent enough to leave out 30% of the possible capacity of the disc (unlikely), or the HD DVD creators were somehow smart enough to get more capacity than is physically possible (really unlikely).
You're leaving out a more likely possibility: the DVD creators achieved acceptable capacity for the uses intended and didn't need to go further. "Good enough" for devices meant for the consumer market.

It's not like we aren't seeing the exact same thing play out with HD DVD. BRD proves that it is technically possible to put at least 25 gig/layer with currently available technologies but HD DVD opts to stop at 15 gig/layer as "good enough" balanced against the ability to capitalize on existing disc manufactuing lines and more advanced video compression techniques.

Like I said above. nondescript is trying to compare BRD to HD DVD using a rule of thumb that assumes everything else is constant besides numerical aperture and cover layer thickness.

I'm just demonstrating that the comparison doesn't work even between DVD and HDDVD (and just try going from CD to DVD with his equations).

The key point being he's assuming there is a "constant" in the equation, when the "constant" term in his equation is actually variable between the formats. So trying to draw conclusions by comparing two equations and cancelling the constant term ("proportional to") doesn't work too well, since the constant term isn't going to cancel.

Thus he gets nonsensical statements like "BD should theoretically allow 71% more data than HD-DVD, but that is clearly not the case. This may reflect a more conservative design."

He's not considering that the differences between HD DVD and BD are more than just cover layer thickness and numerical aperture.

Thanks PC-Engine for the links - your Googling skills are clearly superior to mine.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/200405/04-026E/
In the object lens, introduction of aspherical glass and hologram lens to achieve spherical aberration correction, corresponding to each wavelength enables one series of optical system to deal with 3 wavelengths.
Nice - clever engineering does allow the optical system to be adjusted and adapted to different optical specifications.

http://www.blu-raydisc-official.org/tecinfo/data/tech01.pdf
Another critical manufacturing tolerance, particularly for DVDs, is the flatness of the disc, because the laser beam becomes distorted if the disc surface is not perpendicular to the beam axis – a condition referred to as disc tilt. This distortion increases as the thickness of the cover layer increases and also increases for higher numerical aperture lenses.
Nice find! The description here is completely consistent with the equations I posted earlier. (Well, it's disk tilt rather than disk flatness, but the physical systems are similar if not identical) The pdf has a nice section on disk manufacturing (including the birefringence problem DVD/HD-DVD have but BR doesn't). Biased, clearly, but good info nonetheless.

A choice gem from the same link:
...As a result, the overall cost of manufacturing a Blu-ray Disc will be no more expensive than producing a DVD, while some equipment such as injection molding machines can actually be used more efficently. Because of the thinness of the cover layer, surface-flatness tolerances become far less stringent while relative cover-thickness tolerances remain almost the same as for current DVD production.
PC-Engine said:
HD-DVDs are being produced so any reading problems have obviously been overcome/solved...
As you said, obviously. All I was pointing out was theoretical tolerances of different optical systems.

Like I said above. nondescript is trying to compare BRD to HD DVD using a rule of thumb that assumes everything else is constant besides numerical aperture and cover layer thickness.
I think it would be more accurate to say that what he did was provide a baseline for comparison on top of which other factors could be added as appropriate. Doesn't mean they belong in the baseline formula representing what is absolutely possible with optical media.

Thus he gets nonsensical statements like "BD should theoretically allow 71% more data than HD-DVD, but that is clearly not the case. This may reflect a more conservative design."
I guess I'm not seeing why this is nonsensical since it's basically just a different way of saying what you're saying: theory of what's absolutely possible shows one thing while practical implementation shows another, so there must be other contributing factors. Separate from this specific statement he has also acknowledged it at least two other times, once before you challenged and once after in response to your challenge.

Nice - clever engineering does allow the optical system to be adjusted and adapted to different optical specifications.

Of course but I'm curious as to the additional cost and difficulty to produce in volume.

...As a result, the overall cost of manufacturing a Blu-ray Disc will be no more expensive than producing a DVD, while some equipment such as injection molding machines can actually be used more efficently. Because of the thinness of the cover layer, surface-flatness tolerances become far less stringent while relative cover-thickness tolerances remain almost the same as for current DVD production.

There is still the required hardcoat and/or caddy. Anyway as of right now HD-DVD can be made faster, cheaper, and with higher yields.

One thing about BRD that nobody rarely mentions is the fact the reading lense of a BRD pickp has to be positioned extremely close to the surface of the disc which will cause dust to accumulate on the lense much faster than CD, DVD, or HD-DVD. This might make it difficult for BRD to be incorporated into something like a game console where the lense will get dirty much faster compared to existing consoles. There's also the risk of the lense hitting and scratching the disc when the unit is bumped.

kaching said:
I think it would be more accurate to say that what he did was provide a baseline for comparison on top of which other factors could be added as appropriate. Doesn't mean they belong in the baseline formula representing what is absolutely possible with optical media.

I disagree.

It's like arguing that Car A is faster then Car B because Car A can combust more fuel and air per second than Car B.

Sure in theory that means Car A can extract more power, and thus should be able to accelerate faster and reach a higher top speed... but what if the engine for Car A also weighs twice as much, because the increased forces inside it require the engine components to be stronger?

You can't just acknowledge that other factors may be involved, and then go right on ahead ignoring them, and try to derive other things.

All you'll get is nonsense results which look good on paper, but don't work at all in the real world.

Incidentally, nondescript, I think I found the slide deck you're basing your calculations from.

Is it this one? http://www.licensing.philips.com/includes/download.php?id=4107&filename=3081.pdf

For one, it's pretty old, from Sept 2002. I have a feeling some of the things mentioned in the slide deck are no longer true of BD, but I'll have to check on that.

For example, I've been told that spin coating (as mentioned in the deck in 2002) has since been discovered to be mostly a no-go for BD. It's tough for that process to maintain the required tolerances, so they are mostly using film application, which is apparently a lot more expensive.

But my information may be out of date too. I don't know how well TDK's stuff has panned out or what kind of realistic yields they're actually getting.

kaching said:

I guess I'm not seeing why this is nonsensical since it's basically just a different way of saying what you're saying: theory of what's absolutely possible shows one thing while practical implementation shows another, so there must be other contributing factors. Separate from this specific statement he has also acknowledged it at least two other times, once before you challenged and once after in response to your challenge.
Thanks kaching. You said it better (and probably more politely) than I could have said it myself. In any case, the problem has been reduced from "DVD forum engineer says I'm clearly missing several things" to "significant digits" and "the specs on BR may have changed."

For anyone who is wondering, this are some of those statements:
nondescript said:
These are (apparently) pretty standard "rule-of-thumb" metrics [...]

I got these equations in the proceedings of a optical storage symposium (forgot the year and title), and the paper was by Phillips. I can`t say I understand it fully (for example, I don`t see why disk flatness tolerance is inversely proportional to the cube of numerical aperture, I think it should only be inversely proportional to the square of numerical aperture), but I understand enough to know what`s going on.
nondescript said:
The system with a thinner cover layer will have better performance, unless there are other factors to counteract it. But the relation between thinner cover layer and data density holds true regardless. And since I haven`t seen any "other factors" published yet (nor have you mentioned any) I can`t make comparisons based on those other factors.
nondescript said:
If he says the percentages are off, fine - these are just rule-of-thumb calculations based on optics only, and were never meant to be precise. However, if there is something fundamentally wrong, I would like to know. I highly doubt he will deny the benefits of a thinner protective layer and higher numerical aperture, but I freely admit that might not be the whole picture.

The "he" in this quote being the uber-engineer that has enough time to tell aaaaa00 that my equations are clearly missing several things, but unfortunately, not enough time to tell exactly what those things are.

Yeah! Well, I read a paper instead, but I'm sure Phillips presenters were just lazy and based the slides off the paper. (Or the paper was a summary of the presentation similar to the link). Like I said, these are rule-of-thumb metrics, so it's not surprising that they would show up in multiple places.

It's like arguing that Car A is faster then Car B because Car A can combust more fuel and air per second than Car B.

Sure in theory that means Car A can extract more power, and thus should be able to accelerate faster and reach a higher top speed... but what if the engine for Car A also weighs twice as much, because the increased forces inside it require the engine components to be stronger?

In theory a car that consumes more gasoline per unit time releases more energy per unit time and generates more power(=energy/time). Sounds pretty reasonable to me. To consider acceleration(=distance/time^2), you obviously need to consider mass, even from a theoretical perspective. Even with a completely theoretical (and very simple) model, you still need to be careful (or, at the very least, dimentionally correct). Try not to equate the equations I posted (which could be off due to other factors not considered in the model) with the car model you proposed (which is fundamentally inconsistent).

Anyways, enough hair-splitting - I understand your point - to make a complete comparison, we need to consider everything - from the DSP algorithms to the chemical composition of the mascara the factory worker was wearing when she walked by the assembly line. My point, which as kaching says, I have stated several times both before and after your objection, is that, espically as outsiders, we cannot know everything, and so we use physical models to provide baseline comparisons, which, while obviously not perfectly accurate, nonetheless provide useful insight.

Sanyo joins HD-DVD camp.

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=10333

Sanyo Electric Co will jointly develop a next-generation DVD format, called HD-DVD, with Toshiba Corp and NEC Corp.

Sanyo will provide a core component, the optical pickup, Sanyo officials said Tuesday.

HD-DVD is capable of recording 30 gigabytes of data on a dual layer disk. Sanyo decided to join the Toshiba-NEC camp because the HD-DVD parts structure is similar to that of existing DVDs and the manufacturer can utilize its current facilities, the officials said.

Sanyo currently offers flat CRT HDTVs with built-in ATSC tuners as well as Plasmas and LCD TVs which means they're likely to start selling their own HD-DVD units to accompany those display devices next year. The thing that stands out though are their flat HDTV CRTs which are very aggressively priced and will likely make it into a lot of peoples' homes.

Re: Sanyo joins HD-DVD camp.

PC-Engine said:
Sanyo currently offers flat CRT HDTVs with built-in ATSC tuners as well as Plasmas and LCD TVs which means they're likely to start selling their own HD-DVD units to accompany those display devices next year. The thing that stands out though are their flat HDTV CRTs which are very aggressively priced and will likely make it into a lot of peoples' homes.

Yes, those are the ones I was recommending to you and Deepak to look at sometime ago. And Sanyo TVs are at the top of the list when it comes to reliability.

Anyhow I'm not sure what their low-priced TVs have to do with HD-DVD as the article doesn't mention anything about integrating HD-DVDs with TVs.

PC-Engine said:
Currently? What I've read the production of the slim CRT TV's starts at the beginning of 2005, those are not yet available to buy anywhere.

That is, if you mean the Sanyo Vixslim TV's, which use the 'traditional' CRT technology, but they've been anle to reduce the depth of the TV to about 35 centimeters in a 32" TV.

The price of a Vixslim TV will be about a third cheaper than a similar sized plasma or LCD TV.
The screen sizes are supposedly not beyond 32"

The source (a Finnish HiFi magazine) doesn't say if they are HDTV capable or not.

Edit: Or do you by "Flat screen TV" mean that the tube surface id flat, not cylindrical or spherical like.... in the tv's that were sold 20 years ago.

Edit2: OOPS!! My bad. The Vixslim is a Samsung technology, not Sanyo. Sorry :) ............heh isn't Samsung co-operating with Sony on TV's... that mistake must'vebeen the Sony funboi in me messing with my mind again :LOL:

...Still, I see little or no connection with HD-DVD, BluRay and Sanyo's aggressively priced HDTV's.

Sanyo used to market consumer electronics more broadly in the US. But they've fallen off a long time ago. Susan Anton used to be their spokesperson.

Now they are strictly a second-tier, with things like a few digicams, some car stereos here and there. No TVs other than some odd sizes like 13-inch.

NEC also used to sell TVs in the US but they also abandoned the market. Pity because they put out one of the first progressive scan TVs. They used to be called IDTVs I think.

london-boy said:
Ty said:
And Sanyo TVs are at the top of the list when it comes to reliability.

Who said?

(serious question, not bitching)

My parents have a Sanyo flat-screen CRT TV. It`s only been two years, but, so far, so good. Clear, crisp, cheap.

When it comes to reliability, Zenith is unbeatable! My good `ol Zenith is older than I am, but still has great color. Sure, it only has 12 channels, but hey, with a VCR, no problem.

(EDIT: VTR = VCR in US)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back