Bought myself a new electric shaver today.

I ditched a normal razer for the Braun Series 7 also :)

Worked better than I expected when I bought it a few years back and have been using it happily ever since. Gives a tight enough shave to not bother with a razer again.

Braun, series 7. Made in Germany, solid as hell. Quality straight through.

Shaves really nice, then washes, lubricates and dries off the foil

May you give details on this one?
What does it mean "lubricates"? Does it make your skin moisturised and soft as you used a normal Gillete Fusion with shaving gel?

What are you peeps using?

Just the trivial Gillete Fusion ProGlide Power with Microcombs :LOL:

Electric razors just don't work very well for me. My whiskers all seem to point in different directions which means that I'm endlessly running electric razors backwards and forwards trying to catch them all and the couple I've tried just don't get everything unless I spend more time than a proper shave takes.

Luckily, I'm self employed, not to mention not particularly vain so only bother to shave once a week. I always say that I'm economising on razor blades! Oddly enough, my fiancee doesn't seem to mind my rather lax attitude to shaving too much, which is handy!

May you give details on this one?
With some models, you get a sort of base station into which you place a cleaning fluid cartridge, and then when you're done shaving you stick the shaver down into the base (head-first). With the press of a button a small built-in pump brings cleaning fluid (alcohol based, with lubricating oil dissolved into it, lemon-scented) up into the chamber where the shaver head resides and then runs the shaver motor which removes beard stubble, dead skin cells and general grime from the shaver, leaving it nice and clean, and nice-smelling. :)

In my model, an induction coil also heats the shaving head after the cleaning cycle is done, to vaporize excess cleaning fluid.

Does it make your skin moisturised and soft as you used a normal Gillete Fusion with shaving gel?
Nah. It's for the shaver's foil and cutter; since they're mechanical metal parts that rapidly rub against one another they wear quicker unless lubricated.

I often shave like every five days or so, because I'm a bit lazy to do it every day, at that point the beard has grown long enough that I must first use electric hair cutter to cut it down to about 1mm, then I use a Philishave electric razor to cut most of it out and then use my old Gillette Sensor Excel (2 blades) to finish the job. I have a pretty thick and fast growing beard and I have to yet to see a good enough electric razor to handle it adequately. The Philishave model was their top of the line model couple years ago, but imo it sucks.

1mm beard is imo too long for the Gillette, because it gets clogged too fast, that's why I use my epic three phase method :)

I used Mach 3 for most of my life and recently tried the Fusion 5 blade things and I must say I think they won me over. I shave 3 days a week and I get at most 6 uses out of a Mach 3 before it really starts leaving irritation. My first attempt at Fusion I got 9 easy and might push further, it definitely feels better during the shave as well. Note that I have a very thick beard which grows quite fast so blades wear out probably a bit faster for me than average.

I got several of those Philips tri head shavers thingy, but I hate cleaning them. The blade can get clogged up after several shaves and doesn't work too well after. So now days I just use disposable razors. A new one every shave. Sure its not as nice or even give good result, but it sort of work and it is very convenient. Plus no more rashes which is a plus for me.

I like single blade razor, specifally Bic. Foremost orders of magnitude cheaper than Gillette et al but I found up it was more efficient, less painful than the Mach 3. Go figure! The latter thrashes my skin, unless you throw away the Mach 3 triple blade after just one - perfect - shaving, which at 2.40 euros per consumable and done every other day would cost 438 euros per year. (Bic does 2-3 shavings. At 0.11 euro per unit cost and shaving every day and two shavings per blade the cost is 20 euros per year)

If you properly dry that razor blade (moisture is the #1 thing that dulls razor blades) you can get those Bic Razors to last up to a year of shaving.

I got the suggestion from Clark Howard (http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/cla...es-12-month-mark-using-single-disposabl/ncxf/ ).

I've since been doing that with my kitchen knives and shaving razors. Kitchen knives haven't had to be sharpened in years, except for the cleaver that I use for cutting through bone. And razor blades now last me significantly longer than they used to. Although not 1 year, unfortunately, as I have really thick black hair. I give hair stylists and barbers splinters with my hair if they aren't careful.

For people using expensive Gillette's and Schtick's, this obviously works quite well for those as well. And should help you save a lot of money.

Regards,
SB

Back