Borlands new IDE

DarN

Regular
DiamondBack!
Code re-factoring enables users to make global, cascading changes to code. Developers, for example, can rename an object once and it is reflected throughout the source code. "Code re-factoring helps [developers] maintain their source code, whether it is writing their new applications or maintaining their existing code," said Swindell.
Here's a 15 minute shockwave demo, demonstrating refactoring amongst other things.

No C++ though. :cry: Maybe later :?:

Looking forward to it, since I use Borland. The new "error!" feature is very useful for me personally (hehe). Can't yet comment on refactoring.

Yup, me too. I still have fond memories of learning C++ with C++ Builder 4.
I like the new history feature/on the fly diff tool! Makes it really easy to what changes have been made.

I like it it offers all the same new features as visual studio 05 but it looks like it should be backwards compatable.

Of coarse vs05 is free right now and .net 2.0 does seem faster, if borlands tool was out right know I would use it sence most people don't have .net2 installed but if they wait to long I may skip it.

Cat said:
VS 2005 has Refactoring / rename support for C++?

I'm not sure but when I say backwords compatable I include c++ in that picture. Nothing wrong it's just old and not really being updated besides a few hacks to let you get into the managed world no real changes are beeing made.

Cat said:

Just had a look and it seems to be just for C#, and i guess for J# and VB also.

VS 2003 and C# people should have a look at ReSharper though. You'll get refactoring possibilities on steroids (it's from the makers of Intellij). It has a lot more functionality then what's currently in the 2005 beta, though it seems to be for C# only.

Bjorn said:
Cat said:

Just had a look and it seems to be just for C#, and i guess for J# and VB also.

VS 2003 and C# people should have a look at ReSharper though. You'll get refactoring possibilities on steroids (it's from the makers of Intellij). It has a lot more functionality then what's currently in the 2005 beta, though it seems to be for C# only.

Thanks for the link that looks pretty good MS should buy them :p

Yeah, IntelliJ IDEA is like the best code editor ever written. Not only does it do more refactorings than anything, but one can write code by barely touching the keyboard due to Intentions. I was skeptical about IntelliJ when people first talked about it until I downloaded it and started using it. It definately lives up to the hype, and I'm surprised in the last few years why no big company has purchased Jetbrains.

Chalnoth said:
DemoCoder, could you give us an example of how Intentions helps one to code with less typing?

I guess he means intentions like 'Implement Methods' and/or 'Implement matching constructor'.

If you want to type less there are also the Live Template thingies, which I actually never, but they exist...

Intentions:

Some errors in code represent temporary errors because you are still typing which IDEA can determine your "intent", such as creating classes, constructors, methods, fields, local variables, etc. Others "fix" code automatically, like generate cases, exception clauses, etc for you.

For example, in IDEA if I type

Code:
public class Foo
{
   public void method()
  {
(1)     x=new Bar("one", "two");
(2)     x.doSomething();
(3)    x.doSomethingWhichCanGenerateException();
(4)      y = x.methodReturnsCollection();
(5)     itco<TAB>
(6)   Baz b = hashtable.get("foo");
  }
}

Notice line 1, I have not declared x's type, nor does Bar exist. First, IDEA will ask to create bar. If I simply hit ALT-ENTER, it will automatically create this class, generate a constructor which takes 2 string arguments, and offer the generate two member variables on Bar to store these two strings, and automatically generate the assignments if I want.

Next, I would hit CTRL-ALT-LEFTARROW which would go back to line (1). IDEA now offers to create either a local stack variable to hold Bar, or a member variable on Foo. I hit ALT-ENTER and choose member variable.

Now line 2. IDEA offers to automatically create a method on Bar called doSomething(), returning void, taking void. I fill in this function, and hit CTRL-ALT-LEFTARROW.

Line 3 is same as line 2, but after coming back, IDEA offers to automatically generate a TRY/CATCH block, or add an Exception to the method signature.

Line 4, IDEA will offer to create a local/member variable Y.

Line 5, IDEA will expand "itco" into the following

Code:
for(Iterator (*)i = y.iterator(); i.hasNext(); )
{
(*)  Object o = i.next(); 
}

However, the items marked (*) will be popups allowing you to override, for example, the types returned. Sometimes IDEA can even figure out that only 1 type is possible and it puts that as default.

Finally, line 7 needs a Cast to (Baz), and IDEA will automatically offer to insert it. Just press ALT-ENTER.

There are dozens and dozens, if not hundreds of these intentions. (from Plugins), like the Intention Power Pack (http://www.intellij.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/IntentionPowerPack)

Besides Intentions, which are creation helpers and micro-refactoring automated editor actions, there are Live Templates, which are abbreviations + TAB key which expand into templated coded which then has slots in it which get filled in. These slots get filled in intelligently by being aware of what variables are in scope, so the editor makes it easier by prompting you.

On top of that, IDEA offers 25 powerful refactoring tools, and probably some of the most powerful code-completion you've ever seen. Simply put, there is no code editor on the planet I've seen which comes close, exception many Eclipse, which is stealing a bunch of stuff from IDEA. I used to be a hard-core Emacs junkie, but IDEA easily bests Emacs, BBEditor, CodeWarrior, VS.NET, JBuilder, Delphi, TogetherJ, and Netbeans.

And don't even get me started on how well IDEA handles Unit testing frameworks, XML editing, JSP, etc. VS.NET still has the edge on WYSIWYG (sorta) ASP.NET editing, but IDEA is meant for hard core programmers, not people who like to drag-and-drop.

Here's a PDF that has some screen shots of what it looks like. The PDF covers intentions from IDEA 3.0, which is an old version. There is alot more now than is mentioned.

http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/docs/Programming_by_Intention.pdf

Interesting. Too bad it doesn't look like they have a similar editor for C++. I really would like to get something better than emacs to work with, and this sort of editing looks like it'd be worth a try, at least. Does it handle editing of the code well? For example, if I changed that constructor, would it do automatic updates and stuff?

DemoCoder said:
Here's a PDF that has some screen shots of what it looks like. The PDF covers intentions from IDEA 3.0, which is an old version. ..

That's the interesting part. IntelliJ has had these stuff for quite a long time. Take one look at Visual Studio 2003 (recently worked on a C# project, worked with java before) and you'll cry for all the stuff that it doesn't do by default. ReSharper is a an absolute must have for people moving from java (IDEA, Eclipse f.e) to a .NET (C#) project.

Chalnoth said:
Interesting. Too bad it doesn't look like they have a similar editor for C++. I really would like to get something better than emacs to work with, and this sort of editing looks like it'd be worth a try, at least. Does it handle editing of the code well? For example, if I changed that constructor, would it do automatic updates and stuff?

Yes, if you change methods, you can automatically propagate those changes throughout your project, it's a type of refactor.

Hmmm

Bjorn said:
DemoCoder said:
Here's a PDF that has some screen shots of what it looks like. The PDF covers intentions from IDEA 3.0, which is an old version. ..

That's the interesting part. IntelliJ has had these stuff for quite a long time. Take one look at Visual Studio 2003 (recently worked on a C# project, worked with java before) and you'll cry for all the stuff that it doesn't do by default. ReSharper is a an absolute must have for people moving from java (IDEA, Eclipse f.e) to a .NET (C#) project.

What is ReSharper? I just started a C# graduation project for school. First time using C# and VS .NET 2003

Yeah ....

Chalnoth said:
It's not a long thread. I think your question was answered quite well above.

Well, I read through the thread quickly and missed the link that was posted. I did end up finding out that it was an add-in for VS 2003 on my own, but thanks for being condescending.

Back