Bit off a lot more then I can.....

dennis12c

Newcomer
If you can offer any advice I would appreciate it! I'm new (obviously) to building but had a minor success when I put a simple system(Athlon) together for my girlfriend. With this burst of confidence I decided to put my own together.

CPU P4/2.53
MB Asus P4PE
Antec TRUE480
Lian Li 6099
80 GB/Western HD 8MB C
Black-CDRW,DVD and floppy

I will be adding the rest from my old system.
I mounted the mobo on the pull out tray and later added the cpu. Oh yes I forgot to mention in the list I also got a Volcano 7+ HS-fan combo which is where I am now. The mobo has Q-Fan Tech..Regulates speed of CPU fan according to case temp. The Volcano has a three speed switch and you can manually select the speed 3000,4800 or 6000. If you take the extra wires for the speed control off you are left with 2 wires red and black coming out of fan into a 3hole plug and 1 wire yellow into another one. Not quite sure but thought if the three could be put in the same plug and inserted in CPU fan on mobo might work? My neighbor who is in the business (computers) says no but dosen't sound sure. Oh well I've said more then I intended to.. thanks for listening! Oh yes if I decide to put the stock intel HS on would you suggest removing the pad that comes on it and using the aftermarket replacement? (arctic Sliver)

Best people to ask are the makers of your HSF, Thermaltake I believe.

WRT your 2nd question, personally I would recommend removing the thermal pad but it is not necessary. When you do remove the thermal pad be careful not to scratch the underside of the HSF.

dennis12c said:
Oh yes if I decide to put the stock intel HS on would you suggest removing the pad that comes on it and using the aftermarket replacement? (arctic Sliver)
FWIW I'm using a Globalwin HS with my athlon-based system which has one of those state-change thermal pads on it. I've got no complaints.

Back