Best Learning Book For 3D Modeling

PolkaDot

Newcomer
Hi there! I'm just wanting to learn Maya 7 and I'm wondering if anybody can recommend a good book to learn Maya 7 from scratch. I've read some poor things about a few and I'd like something that was fairly detailed and easy to understand.

Thanks,
Kyle

I would actually recomend going to amazon.com and reading the user reviews of a few books there. Might make your life easier.

epic

I did read reviews and many of them have totally mixed reviews. People generally only leave reviews when they LOVED the book or HATED the book. Not many people in between leave reviews. It makes it hard to really figure out what is good.:cry:

I picked up modeling as a hobby with the free programs and tutorails on the net. Learning to model is easy if you understand the concept, it's just learning how to get the programs to do what you want

if you want I'll point you to a few tutorial that are good for starters, I would also suggest that you start out with Gmax becasue it's like a free version of 3dsmax as far as features go

Yeah.. and free tutorials on the net would be very helpful. I'm sure I can search a few on my own, but any recommended ones are welcome. I was told that Maya is a great chocie for modeling and I had a friend who let me borrow work on his computer who has it, so it seems like the logical choice.

You might want to check out Maya Fundamentals. I had used Maya 4 Fundamentals a few years ago and it's easy to follow with examples on the accompanying CD.

Lata

Spade

Yeah, I was looking at Fundamentals. It has a little bit of criticism that it didn't go into enough detail. Like "open the skew menu" and people are thinking "where the hell is the skew menu?" (I doubt there is a skew menu, just using that as example). But it had a pretty good review all around. You think it wasn't too hard to understand with very limited 3d moedling experience?

This forum really isn't the bet source for the type of information you're looking for. While it does focus on 3D technology it isn't so much focused on the artistic aspect of it. I recommend going to a forum that focuses on what you're looking to get into moore specifically.

http://www.cgtalk.com/

That site will be the best one to really get into the discussion. People there are very helpful and will provide a lot of assistance.

I found the book easy to grasp. I think it does a good job of introducing you to the interface with examples that gradually increase in complexity.

Lata

Spade

Back