Benchmarking (editorial) Rig[h]t

The article makes some good points, but also has some problems and shortcomings, IMHO :
Giving developers a programmable 3D pipeline that allows them to create customized code paths for different GPUs means that gamers living at different ends of the 3D food-chain will hopefully all be able to have at least a good (if not great) gaming experience.

The goal of the programmable pipeline is not to create customized code for different GPUs. Unless I'm mistaken or something changed during the night, this programmable pipeline is still accessed through hardware-independant APIs. Pipeline programmability may make reviewer's task to assess performance a more difficult thing (because it requires actual understanding of the hardware at work), but has, or should have, zero to do with apple-to-apple comparisons.

I like the idea of code paths for different generations of GPU's. I don't like the idea of different ones that stray from industry standards for the same generation hardware. Especially so, when it is done just to have equal performance to another GPU in the same class.

Back