Battlefield 3 announced

I finally picked up BC2 Vietnam. Immediately I noticed that it runs significantly smoother on my E6750. BC2 kinda struggles at times but this is very fluid throughout. It's also super fun and I'm officially readdicted :p

I didn't even notice a missing shadow!
Shadows on flashlights are actually really unimportant since the difference in perspective between the viewer and light is very minor. They're also pretty easy to get right from a resolution point of view for the same reason, so I fully imagine the final game will have it (as repi noted).

Also as noted, nothing about the rendering technique precludes shadows... in fact deferred rendering means that using many shadow-mapped lights becomes more practical (cause you only need the memory for one at once).

Game looks great in any case :)

Is that bullshot AA they're using, or in game? If that is in game :oops: I don't really see jaggies anywhere...although there is some serious atmospheric blurring going on..still looks fabulous.

Even bigger 4K shots here!

Now those are definitely bullshots, taken with some internal "offline" screen capture function of the engine.

Why are they bullshots? You can see aliasing, jaggy shadows, low polygon counts on some objects, nothing really screams bullshot in those. Just really impressive lighting and shaders.

I just FBed it and its at 504k so far. I can't believe how good the screens look. I wonder if it looks super impressive because it's mostly an urban setting? I am not sure. I remember thinking GRAW looking pretty impressive before but I haven't played that game in a while now. I guess Crytek should take note!

DICE to focus on the PC with BF3:

http://www.geforce.com/#/News/articles/battlefield3-interview

While the Bad Company games have kept the Battlefield name relevant the last few years, hardcore PC gamers have been clamouring for a true Battlefield game for over half a decade. With highly-anticipated shooter Battlefield 3, Swedish developer DICE is promising to deliver the biggest, best, and most beautiful game in the series yet.

We spoke to Battlefield 3 Executive Producer Patrick Bach, a man who firmly believes consoles are holding PC gaming back. Like PC gaming enthusiast, he is also dismayed by the fact that many game developers merely add anti-aliasing options to the PC version of games before calling it a day. Eager to buck this trend, Bach talks about how DICE will create one of the most visually-breathtaking games you've ever seen by using the PC as Battlefield 3's lead development platform. In this interview, Bach also touches upon amazing achievements with their new Frostbite 2 engine and touches upon the possibility of one day achieving photorealistic graphics.

I'm hopeful, but taking a wait and prove it to me approach. BF: BC2 made DICE relevant to me again, and BF3 will be their opportunity to have me fully embrace them once again as I did with BF 1942.

Regards,
SB

This game is doing all the right things. I already consider BC2 to be the most fun I've ever had in an online shooter, and this looks to turn everything up 11.

This game is doing all the right things. I already consider BC2 to be the most fun I've ever had in an online shooter, and this looks to turn everything up 11.

I'll disagree, unlocking is retarded and utter crap, and it's hard to find a good server.
(snipers, spawn kill and balance)
However I will agree that it IS very good when you find a balanced server with sniper limits...

Usually takes 4 times before I find one, in TF2, it was easier.

Waiting for more info on BF3 or better : a demo.

I usually play on the same few servers, and rarely do I get on a shitty server even when searching randomly through the list. Of course I've logged over 150 hours (my account says over 250 but my friend always leaves it on the title screen when he's done and it logs time until the comp goes to sleep lol) so maybe I've developed the ability to subconsciously spot bad servers. :) My friend seems to have more trouble with this.

But the server browser itself could use some help. They should just use the one built into Steam, it's way better and easier to find friends.

As for unlocks, I earned them all early in my career, around level 20 I think. I found it fun to move up in the ranks and earn different equipment. And the starter weapons are not exactly crappy, I see level 50s using them all the time.
It is stupid that you have to unlock things like the medpack for the medic, but again that happens so early that it's not a big deal at all.

One feature request I have: a dedicated "thank you" button. A little courtesy can go a long way, but it's takes too long to type that out in the middle of a fight.

Back