Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mean insiders. I mean people who have no problem telling all of twitter and gaf/era that they prefer xbox.
There were a couple write ups showing what can fit in a ~400mm2 die. The limit on 7nm was 56/60 cu accounting for lowered l3 cache.
7nm+ is supposed to bring a 20% density increase.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...arks-for-chance-at-glory.165711/post-28427929

naviblocksizes3ezkkf.png

nextgenpredict3grkm1.png
Well guessing often is wrong.

Who wrote RDNA 1.9 when mentioning the SeriesX GPU?
I confess I can't remember the person who wrote it and about what, but I had the impression it was referring to the PS5 and not the SeriesX.
Odium
https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2105642/
Ok here is what I’ll say, taken from what I’ve been told plus captain obvious statements.

* Both systems are rdna 2, but not. They are essentially rdna 1.9 so to speak, with features bolted on, meaning that you can call it the next generation of rdna, you could even call it rdna 2 if you wanted. I wouldn’t myself but that seems to be what they are doing so ok.

I wasn’t under the impression that console hardware officially fell under AMD ISA docs that released for PC gpus.

Where would the PS4 Pro fall under as my understanding it’s not full Vega but makes use of a subset of Vega’s features?

Can’t wait to read the next few hundred pages of discussions over what exactly 1.9 means versus 2, based on what some guy somewhere wrote. Riveting stuff.

It could mean that certain RT blocks are optional like PowerVR’s Coherency Engine. The CE block is not a fundamental part of Imagination’s RT solution and licensees can choose not to license that particular solution. It may be the case that both MS and Sony excluded certain blocks because they value more general compute than making space for hardware limited to RT tasks.

MS: "Can we say it's based on rdna2?"
AMD: "Sure"
Sony: "Can we say it's based on rdna2?"
AMD: "Sure"

Whatever they altered, optimized, or even removed doesn't change what AMD calls the architecture. Both will be customized in some way with secret sauce, maybe even removing stuff that are less relevant on consoles. And adding stuff like LZ and Jpg decompressors on the amiga blitter, ID buffer, etc...

The 1.9 reference seems to be like calling a Zen2 cpu with less cache, or some vector instructions missing, "it's kind of Zen1.9 so to speak, or Zen2 lite". We can understand what is meant without trying to argue whether or not Zen1.9 is an actual registered trademark protected by a legal denomination of origin.

It's about the base architecture.
If you started with RDNA 1 as the base and pulled features from RDNA 2, then it would be RDNA 1+

If the base was RDNA 2 and you removed/cut things down (e.g. cache size) then it would be RDNA 2 derived.

Depending on what the differences between RDNA 1 & 2 are will determine how big a difference it makes actually is.
But it is legit to call it 1.5 or 2 etc.

If you started with RDNA 1 as the base and pulled features from RDNA 2, then it would be RDNA 1+

If the base was RDNA 2 and you removed/cut things down (e.g. cache size) then it would be RDNA 2 derived.

Depending on what the differences between RDNA 1 & 2 are will determine how big a difference it makes actually is.
What if RDNA1 with added features and RDNA2 with removed features are the exact same? :runaway:

Then he's very clearly not suggesting AMD calls it 1.9.
"Both systems are rdna 2, but not. They are essentially rdna 1.9 so to speak, with features bolted on, meaning that you can call it the next generation of rdna, you could even call it rdna 2 if you wanted. I wouldn’t myself but that seems to be what they are doing so ok."

How is this any different from me saying "I myself wouldn't call KBL-G a Vega, but that seems to be what they're doing so ok"?

What if RDNA1 with added features and RDNA2 with removed features are the exact same? :runaway:
RDNA(-2)

Then he's very clearly not suggesting AMD calls it 1.9.
"Both systems are rdna 2, but not. They are essentially rdna 1.9 so to speak, with features bolted on, meaning that you can call it the next generation of rdna, you could even call it rdna 2 if you wanted. I wouldn’t myself but that seems to be what they are doing so ok."

How is this any different from me saying "I myself wouldn't call KBL-G a Vega, but that seems to be what they're doing so ok"?

RDNA(-2)
Cause how does one at his position even qualify that statement. Without knowing what MS or Sony has done at the architecture level in comparison to a base RDNA 2 that no one has this level of information on.

and without any shred of evidence is there any reason for us to believe him.

Yeah it gets fuzzy since we're into hypotheticals.

It's not like GCN vs RDNA. If we assume RDNA is an evolving architecture with a big list of independent improvements, the designation for which series of upgrades they put in the rdna2 folder or the rdna3 folder might be arbitrary, and based on their own gpu plans regardless of semi-custom contracts.

If there's a specific feature which is not ready on time for ps5/xsx but is ready on time for their own first gpu they officially call rdna2, is it really different from removing that feature to save die space? If the semi-custom design gets all except one of the rdna2 improvement list, the distinction doesn't matter.

I assume both semi-custom designs and the upcoming rdna2-designated retail gpu were all developped in parallel, and implementing the same new features from that rdna2 list of improvement. The work being done once by AMD and applying it to all three implementations?

Could you end up at the same place, sure.
But the starting point is different.

I've never heard anyone claim 4pro is Vega minus some bits. It's southern islands (think) + Vega bits.

Until we know what the difference between RDNA 1 and 2 is we don't know how much difference it actually is.
Either way you can't blame MS unless their lying about what the base design is from saying RDNA 2.

Cause how does one at his position even qualify that statement. Without knowing what MS or Sony has done at the architecture level in comparison to a base RDNA 2 that no one has this level of information on.

and without any shred of evidence is there any reason for us to believe him.

How do I, or any anonymous account in a forum, qualify for saying I think KBL-G shouldn't be called Vega?
I don't. Neither does he.
It's the internet, people give opinions over matters they haven't presented evidence they're qualified to all the the time..

Personally I don't think trying to interpret what he means by 'RDNA 1.9' even worth the keyboard wear-and-tear...
Yes, but why not RDNA 1.7?
j/k sorry

The rumor is that PS5 will have a very cheap single model, but that can be upgraded at launch.
This explains the confusion about different performance level, and marketing strategies.
The single model will have a gpu at 7TF, but it can be stacked on top of one other, and linked together with a proprietary hight speed / low latency / coherent port, doubling to 14TF.
It must be noted that in this configuration it will be able to access 16x2 virtual thread, and 12GBx2 of GDDR6.
It's expected a middlegen refresh that will add a third stack on top.

It'll be really tall.

Odium is apparently verified as a..."QA tester". I mean are we just ignoring that? That's a game tester=low level lackey in my book. But apparently some people just go "oh, he's got the verified stamp, nobody dare question 100% legit!". What's next, verifying gamestop clerks?

Again, of course. Low level lackeys are the only ones going to post repeatedly on Neogaf/resetera and break NDA's right and left.

Imagine how seriously sued, or more likely fired I guess, any "real" insider would be in danger of being. Including having to show identifying info to the mods to get verified.

At this point I'm just hoping RDNA2 has something like Nvidia's mesh shaders and texture space shading, but if they revealed VRS as a feature, which is really something only gpu nerds would understand, then they probably would have mentioned those other things as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back