Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
xDxeJl5.jpg

?

Probably like Lockhart where it's not strictly console related, but more related to other hardware builds Microsoft has such as their Surface product lines.

Sounds more like a surface line, maybe like surface book 3?
Be a half decent gaming laptop/2in1.

If it was Lockhart I wouldn't expect it to be labeled modified RT cores, also variable frequency doesn't sound like console.

But taking Xbox APU and modifying it and using it in amd surface sounds like a good idea.

Non competes not allowed in California.

Califonia does not enforce non-compete clauses. It wouldn't stop MS from trying to enforce one through the state of Washington. Washington does enforce non-compete clauses as long as the employee is earning more than $100K and the clause is limited to 18 months or less.

It'd be a neat hypothetical if Lockhart ended up being 7nm EUV for a 2021 release.
  • early adopters gonna adopt the high end anyway
  • ease up on world wide launch nightmares for a dual SKU
  • ease up on messaging problems
  • extra time for yields/costs to improve for a low end unit
  • extra time to work out the kinks for Windows Surface Gamer XO compatibility mode
  • use dead dies for Surface
  • extra time to decide if they even want to launch Lockhart as an Xbox console???
Of course, it seems not a little too convenient in putting together the spec list there:
  • 1.7GHz - Durango
  • 2.3Ghz - Scorpio
  • 1.2GHz @20CU = 3TF = what unpatched-XO games see in boost mode when running on Scorpio
  • but now with the latest architectures.... so..... boost-ya?
Might as well make a 13-14" 16:9 1080p Surface. :p

sigh

Thinking about it, it would be interesting because then MS could spread cost on its spreadsheet for R&D of APU across 3 sections, Xbox, azure, surface.

The amd surface is currently a 'custom' APU, although I wonder just how custom it is.
But taking Xbox APU and lowering clocks and removing cu's, some other minor changes for surface devices. Could work out really well, especially for Xbox balance sheet.

Not sure how easily it would translate between devices. Desktop/laptop APU's prioritize CPU where as console APU's prioritize GPU.

Not sure how easily it would translate between devices. Desktop/laptop APU's prioritize CPU where as console APU's prioritize GPU.
The good thing is that the next gen consoles have decent CPU's this time.
For a laptop/2in1 I'm pretty sure the CPU would be more than good enough.
Also I'm not saying it would be the Xbox APU used directly, but as a base. So if it needed cache restored it could have it.

Although, I think that CPU is fast enough for most use cases, what's the spec of the current surface ranges i.e. laptop, 2in1, book?

Edit:
I guess I'm thinking from the perspective of what would you need to adapt to use it in other areas of the business to spread cost.
Scorpio engine couldn't be used anywhere but console/xcloud(just for gaming) due to jaguar CPU.

Xbox series APU, can be used in console, blades for both xcloud and azure.
What may need to be changed for surface usage? Memory interface
CU count
Cache sizes

The CPU frequency is on the lower side on the leak, but then it is 8c16t.

Last edited:
Would be cool if they did use the same chip and people hacked the xbox to run Windows. Would make really nice small form factor PCs that can game.

Putting this here because apparently he's been sending pictures to the mods who are now super convinced of his legitimacy.
If it's a ruse, the mods are in on it.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/next...leaks-thread.1480978/page-1000#post-256994247

OsirisBlack said:
When I asked about the performance of both consoles his response was "Both have the same target we will see if either of them hit that target. " I pushed further and asked what the target was and his response was simply."Above 12" That is not for the XseX or the PS5,from what I can gather internally both machines are targeting very high performance which lines up with hearing earlier that the machines would both be $499 with both companies Taking a loss.

OsirisBlack said:
The gdk they are working with is not the final kit for either machine and XseX is currently ahead in terms of sheer power. Sonys tool set is much more complete and refined.
The trailer is all actual game play. Not in engine but game play.

Also a description of what appears to be the next Rainbow Six:

OsirisBlack said:
the lead graphics engine designer laughs at me for stopping every 30 seconds to just rotate the camera and look at the sights and listen to the sounds of their game world. "Everything in the game is PBR with multiple sources of volumetric lighting. All of the characters in this game are unique. You will never see the same character model more than once." As I am playing I realize how difficult this game is. I play several games competitively multiple genres (Smite,R6,SFV,CoD,BF,League) but I am getting my ass handed to me. I take the lead character out into a hallway and two enemies rush into the room shooting and moving in what appears to be a tactical pattern. "Is this fucking guy shooting at me while the other guy is trying to circle around to flank me?" he laughs again. "Yep, suppressive fire." As the enemy shoots at me I take note of the deformation of the geometry on display, chunks of cement give way revealing the metal pipes underneath that hold the structure together. Everything is based in reality including what happens when you shoot people or get shot. Its beautiful but it aint pretty.

I sit the controller down (I'm about to die again anyways) "The game is definitely running at 60fps" he shakes his head at me "No its running at 90fps locked. native 4k." dumb stare "On which machine?" he smiles "Both of them."

How it's possible? There's no clause to not go to work for the direct competitor for at least a year?
We are a small company and have that!

Restrictive covenant clauses are generally only enforceable for senior management, for the greater body of employees they rarely are enforced in court. The clause must be 'reasonable in law' and the general test applied is whether or not the 'business interests' of the ex-employer have been compromised. It would be unimaginable if this came down to knowledge of a bunch of features of product. The clauses are aimed at management, who may know the exact launch date/week, software line-up and RRP window ahead of of public release - or other acts regarding issues with manufacturing that could be exploited and give the new employer a competitive edge.

This doesn't mean you can pass industrial secrets to a competitor, but it does mean that it's very difficult for employees at some engineering-level to be bound by them. Remember, this is contract law, not statutory law. In many countries such clauses are illegal and void the entirety of the contract, California as a State is one such place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back