Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not really 100M chips at their thermal limit because there will undoubtedly be revisions using newer process nodes over the generation like their always is.

They probably only need to get to year 2 or 3...

Assuming Sony releases in 2020.

It's not really 100M chips at their thermal limit because there will undoubtedly be revisions using newer process nodes over the generation like their always is.

Surely "possible" if they can handle 20M+ units or so at lower yield, higher guarantee cases and probably a share of disgruntled fans with broken consoles. It's not as if Sony hadn't their share of hot messy console releases before.

Really difficult to quantify the impact of potentially losing market share longterm vs. the money it cost to minimise that potential. Extremely risky for the people who decide this.

IMHO releasing a reasonably clocked 7-8TF PS5 and a "Pro" model in 3 years sounds like a less risky solution for the management.

We don't know how much AMD will have improved the clock and efficiency of RDNA. We have 12 months of design and process improvement, and possibly 7P process being ready.

I don't think 2GHz is impossible.

We're already at this stage?...
If Sony and MS don't announce the specs soon, we'll have to admit that next gen never actually existed. It was all a lie. The box was empty, the architecture just a theory, the die shot was for a server.

I did not read that as PS3, PS2, and PS1. My interpretation of "previous consoles" meaning PS4, 4Pro, and XboxOne, OneX, and "back catalog" meaning native software of PS4, 4Pro and XboxOne, OneX.

One can turn everything into something else if one really wants. Agree with you, BC with PS3 and below is probably out of the window.

To think they went this route all because of BC..
AF81CB15-E6DF-441B-97BF-9F6ACF434BD9.gif
0D3429CC-5DD2-4BBF-9CC7-693ACA6DFFA7.gif

To think they went this route all because of BC..
I do not want to lose my massive PS4 game library and I do not want to keep a PS4 hooked up to my TV to play those games. This is a smart move that I 100% thank Microsoft for. Keeping people in your ecosystem is made so much easier if consumers feel their existing investment isn't lost every x years. At easy when all games were on disc they were easy to sell, now with digital downloads on parity with physical purchases, selling your game library means selling your console account.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not want to lose my massive PS4 game library and I do not want to keep a PS4 hooked up to my TV to play those games. This is a smart that I 100% thank Microsoft for. Keeping people in your ecosystem is made so much easier if consumers feel their existing investment isn't lost every x years. At easy when all games were on disc they were easy to sell, now with digital downloads on parity with physical purchases, selling your game library means selling your console account.

This. Its why i went for the ps2 back in oct 2001, all psx games and even controllers and mem cards etc could be kept. That and since at launch or the first year there arent many games anyway, you can enjoy PS4 games too, not bound to whats out for ps5.

Am I the only one who doesn’t care about BC at all?? I really will never understand what the big fuss is.

If in the first year there’s not much to play, I won’t buy the bloody thing! Will be cheaper later anyway. I’m the meantime keep the old console and play on that.

I can’t think of a game that I’d want to get back to from one or more years ago.

I finish them off and then leave them there. Games too.

Am I weird?

Am I the only one who doesn’t care about BC at all?? I really will never understand what the big fuss is.

If in the first year there’s not much to play, I won’t buy the bloody thing! Will be cheaper later anyway. I’m the meantime keep the old console and play on that.

I can’t think of a game that I’d want to get back to from one or more years ago.

Am I weird?

BC gets a lot of attention because it's a feature that enthusiasts ask for and choose to be opinionated on. A PlayStation executive made a comment similar to yours, pointing out that while often requested, it didn't get used that much by players. He got raked over the coals and they haven't talked that way about it since. BC is seen as a good way to engender goodwill among those enthusiasts, and I think there's probably a data-based conclusion that they can have influence over the adoption of the platform.

There's no doubt that interest in older games in genuine. Remasters and remakes wouldn't do so well if that weren't true.

Speaking from a personal perspective, it is a feature I care about, but it's not a make-or-break decision for me. I don't mind keeping my older consoles plugged in, but as long as my backlog spans generations, my desire to have a good way to go back and play those games will remain. Enhanced BC can even modernize a game to some extent and make it palatable for users who may not have experienced the previous consoles. Hop into MCC and compare the textures between OG Xbox and the enhanced textures. It's an impressive difference.

BC does also have a little bit more importance due to the rise of community based games. Not having to split your friend group across platforms or generations in a game like CoD or Fortnite could be a major deal to some players, and that kind of support could genuinely factor into their decision.

The push for BC extends beyond games now, too. Microsoft confirmed their Series 2 Elite controller would work with the Series X. I think that was a necessary move so that it wasn't dead-on-arrival. It was the hinge issue that ultimately drove my purchase, admittedly.

Am I weird?

It's not really about actual personal playing but retaining (your) gaming history and the precious memories you made with them. You might even want to play them when you get nostalgic or if you manage to produce kids for them to walk your path. Why do people collect/keep movies or books after they've seen them?

Games are now cultural art which deserves to be protected for future generations.

You're not the only one. There are folks who replay games, who likely value B/C, and those who don't. I cared less for B/C back in the transition from PlayStation to PS2 and PS2 to PS3 because the leaps in technology, gameplay and controls between generations made going back to older games quite a grating experience. But PS3 to PS4 and, I expect, PS4 to PS5 represent smaller leaps.

If Sony are investing much in B/C then they probably have data that a significant number of folks replay games. They could never have had this for PS1 when designing PS2 and for PS2 when designing PS3. PS3 to PS4 was less a conscious choice and consequence of their technology choices.

Am I weird?
There was a whole thread on the importance of BC where plenty sided with you. I think that pre-dated PS3's release. I think a couple more generations on, it becomes apparent that games you love don't get sequels, or get butchered sequels, and you'd like to play the original again. It's certainly weird that with vastly more games than ever before, people are wanting to play old stuff, like they can't find anything new to play. I guess if one's tastes are more focussed, BC becomes more important to ensure you have those preferred titles and experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back