Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably made by folks who did not learn this lesson in the 1980s/1990s! A lot of folks learn not to do something by doing something they later wish they hadn't. :yes:
Interface programmers fresh out of school... "what's a mutex?"
They have no idea how to code multithreaded stuff and fiddle until it works.

Also can't figure out event loops, so we get game where the highest power consumption is in the main menu.

Also can't figure out event loops, so we get game where the highest power consumption is in the main menu.
This is so bad. So many games make my Pro go into a jet-engine mode when paused or in a menu. :cry:

Not me.

Digital Foundry:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...a-pace-never-seen-before.165711/post-28688334

Albert Penello:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...a-pace-never-seen-before.165711/post-28709228

At very least you should believe that these two people are way more believable and better sourced than me or you.

So then, assuming a Jaguar based Sony console (lets call it "PS4 Ultra" or "PS5 Lite") was intended for 2019 release, and now the Zen 2 based PS5 is going forward, I wonder if the 2019 and 2020 consoles share the same GPU, meaning the one that apparently has 36 CUs. Maybe the differences are, the 2019 console lacked GPU accelerated RT as of 2017 and starting in 2017 Sony got AMD to add RT, but keep the same CU configuration and boost the clockspeed. Just a wild, uninformed guess that's probably wrong.

Things change... What was true one month ago could be different later.
Let it go mate, some people are like talking to a brick wall...can you imagine how they must hate their parents for misinformation!?

I think the sentiment was that the 5th of Feb was mentioned by quite a few of the 'insiders'. You're right things change, but it's not good for said insiders other information. If they had inside information of the reveal being on the 5th then surely their sources would've told them of the change as well and they'd have passed it on. Saying 'I know I previously said that the reveal was on the 5th but my sources are now saying that's changed and the new date is the 30th' would've corroborated their sources. As far as I know none of them did that so their info is looking more and more like the BS I suspected it was.

There seem to be two camps developing here. Those who believe the cold, hard data of the github leak and those that prefer to believe so called 'insiders'. Personally I'll take the data, while accepting that it doesn't tell the whole story due to the lack of context for the tests.

lots of regurgitated information does not mean lots of sources. Also consider that Sony might leak things on purpose potentially.

You will have to find me a quote for that because I don't think I ever said that.
Quote found. Just after I suggested the PS5 could have all 20 WGPs turned on, instead of disabling two like it is in The Gospel with 18 WGPs, this was your response:
As for adding of additional WGPs, therefore creating COMPLETELY different chip 6 months before final tapeout being equated to upping the clocks, I'll pass.

The argument isn't explicitly in favour of either machine. It's just saying a possibility.
I can't fathom how you reached this conclusion when he writes this:
There is nothing more to add than what has been said by any developer who has commented. At the beginning of the year PS5 was still the one that offered the best performance. I don't know if that has changed with the new Devkits, I don't have access to that information at this time and personally I think that (theoretically) I won't have physical access until early summer, for my part.

"You should think less about TF and think more about machine balance."
You're right he does say balance and I missed that.
He does not claim the PS5 is the most balanced one, though. In fact he implies the opposite, by saying the PS5 is the most powerful but you can't notice any difference because the other (i.e. SeriesX) is more balanced.

Yes. He didn't go into any details like upscaling. He just said one machine may have a TF deficit but be better at using it.

"one could have more TF than the other and give less performance. You should think less about TF and think more about machine balance."
An explanation for that on my part, because zero hardware details were given, is that the machine with less TFs could be using better upscaling than the other one, and produce results that it takes pixel-counters a long while to figure out what its rendering (which is becoming harder anyway because there's not really a single render resolution and hasn't been for ages).

I agree and it's not just upscaling. It could be a more advanced method of VRS (which Microsoft have already bragged about BTW).
I just don't agree with your interpretation that BGs isn't claiming that the PS5 is the more powerful console specs-wise and SeriesX is the most balanced (or the one using clever tricks like upscaling and variable rate shading to make up for it), because it seems to me that he clearly is.

The guy, who's not a native English speaker and so you're basing an awful lot on what's an inherently weak communication, also says some people can see a laser pointer on the moon and some like to sit 30cm from their 4K TV to see if the game is 4K native or not, neither of which is exact.
We can tilt the lost-in-translation-ness either way, so I suggest we just don't.

You'd need to provide us with numbers to prove your claims. I can't do anything with 'its powerfull', 'its close', or even worse, 'people won't notice the difference'.
I don't need to provide anything when I'm literally paraphrasing someone else. Be my guest to doubt Jason Schreier's credibility, but it's his that you'll question, not mine. I have no connections in the console industry.

If that had to do with Stadia, then that claim doesn't make any sense at all.
It makes all the sense to use TFLOPs throughput as comparison, as aside from 3dmarks it's the best comparison you'll get assuming both consoles use the same architecture.
We don't know actually how much Navi really differs from GCN3/4 in a programming environment where the dev is able to maximize ALU occupancy, unlike what we get in the PC.

I think it started with a leaker on 4Chan that now seems to be deleted: http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020...y_doesnt_give_weight_to_massive_next-gen_leak
Then it was mentioned by ‘respected leaker’ Tidux: https://www.psu.com/news/ps5-reveal-date-and-location-hinted-at-by-respected-leaker/
Two more trusted sources say early feb in this article: https://bgr.com/2020/01/16/ps5-release-date-launch-event-set-for-february-two-insiders-say/
In post 4856 of this thread David Scott Jaffa on the 16th of Jan tweeted that the PS5 reveal was less than 4 weeks away which puts it early Feb. Post 5003 was a link to a reddit leaker stating Feb 5th (article now deleted) and in post 5323 Zhuge and OsirisBlack are mentioned stating 5th Feb.
Very recent tweet from MBG (PlayStation YouTuber) stating ‘verified sources’ that 2-5-2020 event is on (if you don’t use the American date system that’s the 5th of Feb):
Thanks for the replies, not sure I'd call any of them "Insiders" but at least they were examples. So the we had one anonymous 4Chan that was then referenced by 3 others, a Jaffe(closest to an insider) tweet that doesn't actually give a date and is referenced by another, a reddit post that was described by someone here as
Unrealistic and zero sense. Sounds stupid as fuck as if a teen made it up and uploaded it
And 2 that referenced February 29th, which means they read this thread but don't quite get tongue n cheek sarcasm.
Still, you provided examples so thanks I understand now the error in my memory.

Quote found. Just after I suggested the PS5 could have all 20 WGPs turned on, instead of disabling two like it is in The Gospel with 18 WGPs, this was your response:
Read that quote again and tell me you are not full of shit.

As for adding of additional WGPs, therefore creating COMPLETELY different chip 6 months before final tapeout being equated to upping the clocks, I'll pass.

After you accuse me of using AMDs internal testing leak as a gospel (36 active CUs, which I repeated dozen of times) you try to frame it like I actually implied it could end up with less then that and 36CU is full chip. With that quote? This is embarassing. Dont quote me again if you are going to act like absolute brainlet.

How incompatible is Zen with Jaguar? It's x86 - Zen should run everything a Jaguar does, and an i5, and a Pentium Core-2-Duo, and an Athlon64, and an 8086, as long as you aren't writing machine code.
Compiler can optomise source differently for example. So are they compatible, sure but doesn't mean an optimization for one wouldn't be detrimental to the other.
Obviously zen wouldn't have a problem chewing through jaguar though.

I think it started with a leaker on 4Chan that now seems to be deleted: http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020...y_doesnt_give_weight_to_massive_next-gen_leak
Then it was mentioned by ‘respected leaker’ Tidux: https://www.psu.com/news/ps5-reveal-date-and-location-hinted-at-by-respected-leaker/
Two more trusted sources say early feb in this article: https://bgr.com/2020/01/16/ps5-release-date-launch-event-set-for-february-two-insiders-say/
In post 4856 of this thread David Scott Jaffa on the 16th of Jan tweeted that the PS5 reveal was less than 4 weeks away which puts it early Feb. Post 5003 was a link to a reddit leaker stating Feb 5th (article now deleted) and in post 5323 Zhuge and OsirisBlack are mentioned stating 5th Feb.
Very recent tweet from MBG (PlayStation YouTuber) stating ‘verified sources’ that 2-5-2020 event is on (if you don’t use the American date system that’s the 5th of Feb):
TIDUX isn't credible and that tweet was about him going on vacation in NY. Could be backtracking which further adds to his credibility.
Jaffee also said his statement was based on the same rumors we know. But again, could just be him covering his own behind.

This is so bad. So many games make my Pro go into a jet-engine mode when paused or in a menu. :cry:
That's because most games have uncapped frame rates in menus screens. I remember when the first division game got a "4k" update for pro. 4k+uncapped frames=loud.

TIDUX isn't credible and that tweet was about him going on vacation in NY. Could be backtracking which further adds to his credibility.
Jaffee also said his statement was based on the same rumors we know. But again, could just be him covering his own behind.

That's because most games have uncapped frame rates in menus screens. I remember when the first division game got a "4k" update for pro. 4k+uncapped frames=loud.

has it been verified that he’s not credible?

Every time I see people talking of Balance I can't help but think of the Jedi that wanted balance of the Force ... without realizing there are 2 Siths and hundreds or thousands of Jedi, so balance would require a lot of Jedi deaths.

Every time I see people talking of Balance I can't help but think of the Jedi that wanted balance of the Force ... without realizing there are 2 Siths and hundreds or thousands of Jedi, so balance would require a lot of Jedi deaths.
OR in an alternative timeline it could have been a very good breeding time for Siths.

has it been verified that he’s not credible?
Other than a few upcoming free ps plus games he hasn't broken any news or leaked anything in recent history as far as I can tell. I'm not sure what he's done to gain his credibility. Even era/gaf PS fans ignore him and those guys cling onto anything pro PS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back