Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You vastly underestimate the importance of exclusive launch tech demos, they do exactly what they're intended to do which is to showcase the tech of a new gen that's impossible on last gen. They are a crowd pleaser, a new benchmark, hype generator and last but not the least, system seller. 1st party games such as these don't have to worry about initial returns, they are more than likely reimbursed or subsidised by the mother company whether through service, games or whatever. 3rd party exclusives are already made in sweet deals right from the start where everything is taken into account of. I don't see anything concerning at all come 2020. In fact I'd wager without those at launch, people would more than likely lose interest, jumpship or sitting on the fence till such titles arrive.
I agree visuals make a big difference but I'm wondering out loud if we're at a point of diminished returns. I can show ray tracing to people for example and many can't exactly determine what they are looking at and why it may look slightly better than a hack. 30 versus 60 fps is another example, many people can't tell the difference. Frankly, I'm not sure how the improvements with this new hardware will matter to consumers.

I really think this next generation will benefit from better load times, services like game pass and bc than simply power. VR could also be an interesting niche, I didn't invest in VR this generation but if better fps are available I'll definitely be investing next round just to round out the types of experiences available.

I agree visuals make a big difference but I'm wondering out loud if we're at a point of diminished returns. I can show ray tracing to people for example and many can't exactly determine what they are looking at and why it may look slightly better than a hack. 30 versus 60 fps is another example, many people can't tell the difference. Frankly, I'm not sure how the improvements with this new hardware will matter to consumers.

I really think this next generation will benefit from better load times, services like game pass and bc than simply power. VR could also be an interesting niche, I didn't invest in VR this generation but if better fps are available I'll definitely be investing next round just to round out the types of experiences available.
You kidding me? We have a long way to go. Rraytracing and 60fps aren't exactly the best way to showcase a perceivable generational visual impact, you need vastly improved geometry, world density, size of the world, fancy simulations like hair, cloth, fluid, particle, physics, destruction, animation, character AI to really blow you away, not just some quick hacks from a high end pc. We need all the power in the world to achieve those really, especially when 4k is the new standard. Honestly I doubt the mainstream would care about fast load time, BC, 3d audio, VR or even high framerate at launch, the biggest difference they'll see and want to is visuals. Bar None.

This is true, I just saw a Playstation ad on a bus saying that.

I honestly get the feeling that leak might be true.
It just seems to be hitting all the main bullet points, in an order that Sony would use in a full reveal:
- first having a big focus on the design and features,
- then taking about the services,
- then the ability to link the PS4 to the PS5 to transfer your games, plus all-gen backwards compatibility,
- they go on to the exclusive games, with sequels, remakes and new IPs form their top studios,
- afterwards they make claims about performance and tech specs,
- at the end they announce the price.

The only thing that bothers me are the preorders. AFAIK that never happened before.

Regardless, I'll be looking out for two clues that will tell us if this leak is true:
- Sony Santa Monica with a new IP called Legendz
- Naughty Dog with a new scifi IP.

"Its time to play" slogan has already been used for months now I think.

I am generally suspicious of leaks that mention everything from marketing, to release date, price, TF count (especially compared to competition), 3rd party games, peripherals etc.

Its just too much info from all sides to be known by anyone bar guys like Jim Ryan and Phil Spencer.

It's about to happen:runaway:. Maybe Feb 5th like some rumor has suggested?
27827-dry-lips.gif

It's about to happen:runaway:. Maybe Feb 5th like some rumor has suggested?
27827-dry-lips.gif

From your posts in the last few weeks, I fear you’ll be disappointed whatever they come out with, all because of one number that really doesn’t mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, but somehow has become the new “thing” to talk about, which is a huge shame.

Tflop numbers are not meaningless, however when looking at the big picture and the overall tech we’re getting this time around, PS5 will be a monster, and apparently a balanced one at that too.

Remember, up until last year a lot of us here were 100% sure that RT would never even have been considered for a console in 2020 due to cost limitations, and here we are not only with RT but also with a super fast SSD, a CPU which can only be described as a godsend compared to Jaguar, new GPU that more than doubles the Pro, a UHD player thrown in - and I might be weird for having bought a player but anyone with a good 4K HDR TV who hasn’t watched a good UHD Blu-ray movie is in for a nice surprise - and whatever else they put in that box that they have not announced. Personally I don’t care and I don’t understand the fuss with backward compat, but they’re including that too.

For a price that we know will be around £400-ish? Come on! Who cares if it’s 9.2 or 9.7 or 10 Tflop!

For a price that we know will be around £400-ish? Come on! Who cares if it’s 9.2 or 9.7 or 10 Tflop!
ultragpu. ;)

I suppose the psychology is you have people who want the best possible console gaming experience but who are committed to one platform for various reasons, and as such they want that platform to offer everything they want. Otherwise they have to accept a compromised experience. Which is, of course, life, but that doesn't stop them dreaming.

From your posts in the last few weeks, I fear you’ll be disappointed whatever they come out with, all because of one number that really doesn’t mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, but somehow has become the new “thing” to talk about, which is a huge shame.

Tflop numbers are not meaningless, however when looking at the big picture and the overall tech we’re getting this time around, PS5 will be a monster, and apparently a balanced one at that too.

Remember, up until last year a lot of us here were 100% sure that RT would never even have been considered for a console in 2020 due to cost limitations, and here we are not only with RT but also with a super fast SSD, a CPU which can only be described as a godsend compared to Jaguar, new GPU that more than doubles the Pro, a UHD player thrown in - and I might be weird for having bought a player but anyone with a good 4K HDR TV who hasn’t watched a good UHD Blu-ray movie is in for a nice surprise - and whatever else they put in that box that they have not announced. Personally I don’t care and I don’t understand the fuss with backward compat, but they’re including that too.

I really wish I could stay as optimistic as you are about the whole thing but at this stage without anything substantial shown from Sony like some next gen gameplay footage, it's hard for me not to get disappointed if it's indeed a 9.2 tf console, you know purely based on comparison with the competition's high end console and current PC hardware. I'm looking at it from a pessimistic point of view because I don't want to get overly disappointed, I do hope the games would blow me away graphically so tempering my expectation is the best thing I could do right now. Again if the games are the best looking out there then I can royally screw any TF deficiency there is and happily journey onward :).

We are two weirdos then. It's soooo worth it. Got the Nolan collection and the image quality still amazes me every single time I watch it!

I really wish I could stay as optimistic as you are about the whole thing but at this stage without anything substantial shown from Sony like some next gen gameplay footage, it's hard for me not to get disappointed if it's indeed a 9.2 tf console, you know purely based on comparison with the competition's high end console and current PC hardware. I'm looking at it from a pessimistic point of view because I don't want to get overly disappointed, I do hope the games would blow me away graphically so tempering my expectation is the best thing I could do right now. Again if the games are the best looking out there then I can royally screw any TF deficiency there is and happily journey onward :).

I won’t be disappointed because I quite literally think that the Tflop number - to me - is meaningless. I look at everything that has already been confirmed by Sony and honestly I can’t wait. Just the SSD and the RT tech alone, I’m sold.

Since when have consoles launched with specs that match the highest end of PC?

Xbox One launched with a 50% Tflop difference compared to PS4 and it ran games at 900p instead of 1080p. This time around the difference will be a lot less, and you and me both know that at higher resolutions the difference is not as noticeable as before. We have the same TV too! And I know that from the sofa, I can’t tell the difference between native 4K and “a little bit lower”.

But I will tell the humongous difference in loading times, frame rates, probably RT that will come with the new tech.

I won’t be disappointed because I quite literally think that the Tflop number - to me - is meaningless. I look at everything that has already been confirmed by Sony and honestly I can’t wait. Just the SSD and the RT tech alone, I’m sold.

Since when have consoles launched with specs that match the highest end of PC?

Xbox One launches with a 50% Tflop difference compared to PS4 and it ran games at 900p instead of 1080p. This time around the difference will be a lot less, and you and me both know that at higher resolutions the difference is not as noticeable as before. We have the same TV too! And I know that from the sofa, I can’t tell the difference between native 4K and “a little bit lower”.

But I will tell the humongous difference in loading times, frame rates, probably RT that will come with the new tech.

Same, although I just want them to announce PS5 exclusive VR games for uncompromised graphics and I'm sold! After all I play more PSVR and it is still a 1080p screen split to both eyes :LOL:

Although, I'll probably not get it right at launch, since a couple of months later (or only one month if it launches in November), I have the trip of my dreams :cool:

Ditto. My basis for comparison in terms of improvements is my PS4 Pro and my PC. PS5 looks to bring significant benefits over both. While appreciate improvements in graphics, better frame rates, better lighting and shading, longer draw distances, more stuff on screen, it is the massively reduced load times and near-instant suspend/resume of multiple games? Oh yeah.

Bring it! :yes:

And speaking of some positive news. Not sure if anyone has listened to this new Kotaku podcast yet. (38:20 mark)
https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=a...VAKHYDKCAUQieUEegQIARAE&ep=6&at=1575634615373
Jason Schrieier mentioned how he's pretty certain that both PS5 and Anaconda's specs and power level are stronger than RTX 2080. Looks like 12 TF+ PS5 is back on the menu again peeps :D..
"Dont take my word for it but..."

Well, considering 5700XT is a match for 2070Super these days, it could be true and yet we could get consoles around 9-10TF.

9.xTF to 12TF, I'm not going to debate someones views on if that's close or not.
Because it depends on where your coming from and how you compare it.
You comparing the percentage to XO to PS4, 1X to 4pro just the raw TF's, etc. All valid.

But I would debate what the impact is, is the difference between 1800p and native 4k that noticeable to you?
And that's only if the lead platform is the 12TF one. Otherwise they will both probably be 4K, and the extra flops used on a notch higher effect that can't actually be noticed and DF will just guess that it may have slightly higher setting.

Being lead platform can make all the difference when making use of the TF's.

9.xTF to 12TF, I'm not going to debate someones views on if that's close or not.
Because it depends on where your coming from and how you compare it.
You comparing the percentage to XO to PS4, 1X to 4pro just the raw TF's, etc. All valid.

But I would debate what the impact is, is the difference between 1800p and native 4k that noticeable to you?
And that's only if the lead platform is the 12TF one. Otherwise they will both probably be 4K, and the extra flops used on a notch higher effect that can't actually be noticed and DF will just guess that it may have slightly higher setting.

Being lead platform can make all the difference when making use of the TF's.
Are consoles lead platform on 3rd party games any more though? With both consoles using being essentially PCs I’d have thought that PC would be the lead platform and both consoles would get ports and be optimised.

If consoles are still lead platform then, if there’s no marketing deal with one side or the other, I’d have thought it would be worth spending the extra effort on whichever console is the market leader as that’ll be where there are more sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back