Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW why are these chips labeled "Project Scarlett" I thought I Was leet with my knowledge "Project Scarlett" was the overall Xbox project, while "Anaconda" was Series X and "Lockhart" Series S.

Turns out, nope! Misinformed by some youtuber...

I found that strange too and thought two things. Either AMD isn’t ready with future big Navi - and RT? - or they’re leaving the big announcements to Sony and MS? Both feel weird to me.
For big Navi, long gone are the days of Raja over-confidently blabbering about how great their GPUs will be 8 months down the road.
The furthest to release product they announced today was a Dell laptop releasing in Q2 (meaning the mobile GPUs have probably been shipping to OEMs for a while). The new 5600 XT is coming in 2 weeks, and the 64 core Threadripper is coming in exactly 1 month.

So when a big Navi gets announced, it'll be closer to release. We know it's not coming in Q1, and most probably not Q2 either. We're probably looking at a Computex announcement with availability in July, at the earliest.

Well that was pointless Sony! New logo, that looks the same as always. No news. No reveal. Off to bed byeeee
its-something.jpg

BTW why are these chips labeled "Project Scarlett" I thought I Was leet with my knowledge "Project Scarlett" was the overall Xbox project, while "Anaconda" was Series X and "Lockhart" Series S.

Turns out, nope! Misinformed by some youtuber...

Because they didn't want to put Lockhart on the chips, so folks wont know if that's the small chip or large chip they're seeing.

I seriously doubt the PS5 GPU will hit 2ghz now. AMD just released the specs of the 5600xt which is 36cu and has a boost clock of 1560mhz.

I suppose there could be clues in how hot the 5600XT runs and how much power it uses.

I seriously doubt the PS5 GPU will hit 2ghz now. AMD just released the specs of the 5600xt which is 36cu and has a boost clock of 1560mhz.

I suppose there could be clues in how hot the 5600XT runs and how much power it uses.

It's market segregation. The 5700XT is 40CU and boost 1905 mhz. Granted, that still leaves a gap to 2.0 base.

The 5600XT is just all the lower binned and partially defective Navi 10 chips that AMD has been amassing since they started mass producing it about a year ago.

Though its clocks do make more sense for a console.

you don't need 300mm2 to have 36 or 40 Cus no something is not adding up. And why testing only the GPU. I think it is just something made up.
Or its an estimate (ie 320-370) in any case, he did give tons of correct info on TSMC stuff before as well as being first one with Oberon "another revision",2 months before Komachis "E0 stepping". Lets wait and see...

Man this CES sure was boring. Not even a hint of a PS Meeting, just a logo..
Is it just me or Sony doesn’t sound as confident to market PS5 hype as they did with PS4? Could the alleged weak specs bear any significance to this or is it just different leadership this time? Really hope it doesn’t turn out to be 9.2tf in the end regardless of $399 or whatever.

Is it just me or Sony doesn’t sound as confident to market PS5 hype as they did with PS4? Could the alleged weak specs bear any significance to this or is it just different leadership this time? Really hope it doesn’t turn out to be 9.2tf in the end regardless of $399 or whatever.
I wouldn't read too much into it, CES is generally snorefest, especially Sony's conferences.

BTW that system is 399$ only with loss.

You either mis remembering or I am but they have spoke about the PS5 more and sooner than PS4 if I remember correctly.

There was possibly a legit leak earlier though.

Hm, maybe I am wrongly remembering things. It’s been 7 years after all. We need more juicy teases tho!

With all the money Sony made off of the PS4 gen, maybe they should go all out on the specs and take some loss on the PS5, say $150 loss for a retail $499 unit which would make it truly monstrous, you think they’ll do that?

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel that they have focused on the storage speed and it is the right decision. I feel it will allow the biggest difference from current gen and the CPU will also play it's part.

I also am very sceptical about the 2ghz clock speed unless they are going to use N7+ EUV.
So if they use 36cus I'm expecting closer to 8 TFlops.

I feel that they have focused on the storage speed and it is the right decision. I feel it will allow the biggest difference from current gen and the CPU will also play it's part.

I also am very sceptical about the 2ghz clock speed unless they are going to use N7+ EUV.
So if they use 36cus I'm expecting closer to 8 TFlops.
Would be funny and sad if that pastebin from early 2019 turn out to be true when it has Lockhart at 4 TF, Anaconda at 12 TF and PS5 at 8 TF. #Kleesaveus

What would be the competitive advantage in that? Series X is also betting on the same feature

Wish I'd stayed up for Sony's presentation. Surprised they went with PlayStation S as the name. The 36CUs make sense now.

Sony defs took more than a few pages from MS playbook. Lower performing console, just like the BONE, the 'S' denominator, like the BONE, and finally a terrible acronym pun with PISS.

True but bandwidth and latency of a main storage has a bigger affect than just loading time.
It will depend if one of the two is "bad enough" to make people experience it as a significant inconvenience compared to the other option.
We expect significant improvements from the MS side of things as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back